iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rice Pudding

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 20, 2020, 07:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

It's something Mom used to make that was good and easy.
I finally got around to figuring out how she made it.

1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups milk
2 eggs beaten
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup sugar, I mixed brown and white
1 tbsp vanilla
pinch or 2 of cinnamon
pinch or 2 of nutmeg

cook the rice for 20 minutes in 2 cups of water.

Mix all the other ingredients in a pot on medium and stir in the rice.
keep stirring until it reaches a temp of 170 then set aside to cool.
Sprinkle a little more nutmeg on top.

I made it while my pork chops were cooking, set it aside and it was still warm for dessert.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

That recipe brings back memories from my childhood!

Not sure, but may be identical to what my Mom used to make!

Makes for a tasty desert/treat!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

K-Guy

As a boy my mom used to make it but instead of raisins she used pineapple. I've tried it with raisins but it just doesn't taste right. Funny how some things have ;D to be one way and one way only.  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

I like me a good bowl of rice pudding! Raisins or rice no matter love them both.
Tapioca is another good one.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

Looks a lot like Mom used to make only I thought she baked hers in a shallow pan.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

My dad did his like Jon's, Step mom baked hers' a bit as I always liked the side crust.

Another favorite of mine is bread pudding. used to use a pressure cooker to make that.

sawguy21

I sure enjoyed rice pudding, have not had it for many years. Bread pudding was good too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Leave  out the raisins and you might have something.... ;)

sawguy21

That's the best part. :D

BradMarks

Everyone is saying "their Mom" made it that way.  My Wife makes it quite often, Yummy.

Weekend_Sawyer

My ex-wife couldnt open a can without burning it. :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 21, 2020, 05:35:49 AM
My ex-wife couldnt open a can without burning it. :D
None of mine could either.
Got one that can cook now though as my expanding waistline will attest to. smiley_turkey_dancing

K-Guy

Mine is a great cook but I like to cook to, so it can be a fight for the kitchen but the grill is all mine. We've got a sort of truce in the kitchen, there are dishes she cooks and others I do.  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

That's the way it is for me now. We each have our specialties.
We got a insta pot for Christmas. Both of us are trying different things in it.
No matter who cooks she does dishes. lol

K-Guy

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 21, 2020, 08:52:27 AMNo matter who cooks she does dishes.

Not so for me. say_what
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

moosehunter

I can honestly say that I have never tried rice pudding. I see the raisins and politely refuse. I like raw raisins out of the container but as soon as they are cooked, no thanks.
My bride and I both cook. One at a time. If I'm cooking, get out of my way and I afford her the same courtesy. Whomever cooks, the other does the dishes. Been working good for 26+ years!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

My Raisin tale - Around 2002 my wife and I were vacationing in north central Cameroon along the Nigerian border and we trekked in to visit and camped with the Koume (Koo-Mah) tribe that had first been contacted around 1986. The women still wore a patch of green leave s in front and back held up by a belt of beads. They (the women) smoked pipes and pulled their two front upper teeth when they got married. Anyway, we were hiking on our way back to the end of the road to the village of Wangui (Wang E) where we had left our SUV. It was very hot and we stopped under a shade tree to hydrate and I pulled out a couple small boxes of raisins and such and started snacking on them. My local guide, Abdou, asked what they were and I told him "raisins, you know dried grapes." He still looked puzzled so I gave him a box and he took out a handful and started eating them. Almost immediately he started spitting them out and threw the box away in disgust. He then went back to eating his termites like he had been doing before.

Maybe raisins are an acquired taste?

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

when I was in undergrad at KU, I was invited to neighbors for chili.  some of what looked like chili beans were a little darker and sweet.  they were semi vegetarians, and put raisins in the chili.  I would not have known if they had not told me.  tasted good, but seemed strange since that is not how my Mom did it.!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 21, 2020, 04:47:14 PMMy local guide, Abdou, asked what they were and I told him "raisins, you know dried grapes." He still looked puzzled so I gave him a box and he took out a handful and started eating them. Almost immediately he started spitting them out and threw the box away in disgust. He then went back to eating his termites like he had been doing before.

Hard to explain raisins to a guy that's never seen a grape?:D 

They would just be some "Weird foreign food", but I bet he knew where to find local fruit, roots, termites etc that were mighty good eating. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: moosehunter on January 21, 2020, 03:54:07 PM
I can honestly say that I have never tried rice pudding. I see the raisins and politely refuse. I like raw raisins out of the container but as soon as they are cooked, no thanks.
My bride and I both cook. One at a time. If I'm cooking, get out of my way and I afford her the same courtesy. Whomever cooks, the other does the dishes. Been working good for 26+ years!

mh
I'm thinking raisin pie is out of the question then?

kantuckid

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 20, 2020, 10:57:24 AM
My dad did his like Jon's, Step mom baked hers' a bit as I always liked the side crust.

Another favorite of mine is bread pudding. used to use a pressure cooker to make that.
Our bread pudding recipes is quite old and bakes in an oven.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

sawguy21

@Raider Bill I'll have raisin pie with you. ;D Fresh out of the oven with ice cream. I like them as a snack when traveling, they don't upset my stomach like sweets.

Raider Bill

My Dad made a great one, mince meat too. His Father, my Grandfather owned a bakery and for all their faults they could sure cook and gave us a good understanding as to what good food was about.

Growing up we never had store bought baked goods in the house. Just not allowed. Bread, cakes, pies, cookies always home made.

Lady that works in my office is also a great baker. She bakes for a local deli on the side. I am the lucky recipient of extras as my waistline will attest to.

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

Remember the old saying "Never trust a skinny cook." Maybe that applies to his/her friends too. :D
Howard Green

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 23, 2020, 02:48:45 PM
Bill,

Remember the old saying "Never trust a skinny cook." Maybe that applies to his/her friends too. :D
That's one of my favorite sayings.

Skinny didn't run on my Dad's side believe me. lol

Thank You Sponsors!