iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Nova Scotia

Started by Atlantic Trader, January 14, 2013, 07:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Trader

I wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to all the posters i have really learned alot from the FF. I recently bought a small TJ skidder, and have been using it in a one man firewood business. It has been my first experience using a skidder and I love it.

I am a grad of the Maritime Forest Ranger School but have been out of the industry for over 20 years, doing other things. Just his past year I decided to get back into the woods at 45 years of age. That  was tough for the first few months but i feel great and love heading out to work with my 9 year old son helping out and just spending time with him and my yellow lab in the woodlots.

Here are a few pics of our machine.

Atlantic Trader

Atlantic Trader

beenthere

Nice rig there.

That machine gets logs for you. Then what?

Processor of some sort, or buck by hand and split ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rvolek

Always nice to see the semi-retired TJ's still pulling logs!! Nice machine. What year and model is that?
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Atlantic Trader

Beenthere
I hitch out full tree to the landing and buck and split onsite with hydraulic woodsplitter handload onto my ton truck then off to the customer.

I do have a conveyor that Iam going to marry up to my splitter so loading will be a little easier.

As it stands right know I can haul a cord of firewood out at a time to the  landing in good wood.

It takes me an hour to buck it to length, and a little over an hour to split it and throw it on the truck.

Atlantic Trader

Rvolek

Thanks it was definetly well cared for by the previous owner. It is a 1963? Model 200 H gas engine 172 Ford Industrial.

I only do small jobs and only work it as hard as it cant take , i dont push it. For where Iam in the scheme of things it is all I need.

thecfarm

That does look good. All the hood pieces are there and not all banged up. Someone is looking for a 172 on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, AT! That is a nice looking vintage 'Jack you got right there! Close to the same vintage as my Garrett, 'cept I have the 172 diesel. Love the old iron 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Atlantic Trader

Thanks MM for the welcome, sure beats hauling by hand, ATV and small tractor as I had done in the past....Garrets are n
ice machines

rick f

Welcome A T, we do the same thing with firewood as you do.  3 of us do 3 cord aday. 2 of us go cut a hitch ( a cord +) drag it out while the 3rd guy starts with what was left on the yard. Then all of us buckup and fitup the rest of the truck load, then he goes and delivers it while we go start all over again. We use my 664 Clark and splitting mauls, no power splitter here yet.  I sure hope it frezzesup soon.
Good luck this winter.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Dom

Welcome from Halifax! I'm pretty quiet on here and never worked in the woods. I'm awaiting to purchase land in a few years. I worked for a Equipment manufacturer in Dieppe NB, that's how I got my interest in the industry.
Which part of NS are you from?

Atlantic Trader

Rick F
I really understand how hard you guys work, but you know there is something to be said about having a simple system that produces results. Regardless on how big you are it is the satified customers who become life long clients, and you can count on that order for next year. Building on this over time is my goal.

I have spent some vacation time in Maine over the past several years and you are lucky to live and work in such a beautiful place.

We need some hard ground here to, no snow on the ground
Take care and good luck as well

Atlantic Trader

Dom
Iam down in Shelburne, originally from Cape Breton.

bushmechanic

Boy that machine is in great shape for her age,although I think it is newer than a 1963.It will serve you well for what your doing with it.

northfield

Good to see another Nova Scotian on here, Im not too far away from you just down bridgewater way. Great lookin old TJ keep the pics coming

Atlantic Trader

Bush
Yes I was trying to figureout what year she was after speaking to members of FF and researching serial numbers, 1963 was the best I could come up with and the guy who sold it to me said i was a '63 ?

Either way so far so good.

I used to live on the rock worked in the park at Gros Morne....

Atlantic Trader

Northfield thanks, now that is a logging area, lots of wood has come out of that community and the surrounding country over the years.

thecfarm

northfield,welcome to the FF. What brings you here? You have equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello    northfield, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!