iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Somebody said you had a Wide head.......

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 15, 2018, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

........well yes......yes I do.

Can you saw my log?
What do you have?
A Highly Valuable 39 inch Cherry log with a 37 inch heart.

My heart fluttered........

2 hours and 20 minutes later it shows up.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Pics of the slabs coming soon.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Oh Wow, what a monster.  Count the growth rings if you can, but you will probably need a magnifying glass.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Wow!! Nice log. I'm from the cold north and while I've seen many cherry boards/slabs posted, I'm still cherry ignorant. I had a bing cherry tree in my yard that delivered the most excellent fruit every year for about 40 years. Then it swallowed the big onion. I cut it down and milled the butt log pieces and it was crap. This must be some kinda cherry that us northern Canadians don't get. Does this this excellent have a history of delivering red berry type fruit earlier in its life??

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

nativewolf

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 15, 2018, 09:34:50 PM
........well yes......yes I do.

Can you saw my log?
What do you have?
A Highly Valuable 39 inch Cherry log with a 37 inch heart.

My heart fluttered........

2 hours and 20 minutes later it shows up.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Pics of the slabs coming soon.

Must keep goats away from my harvest site.  Must not add photos that would cause heart attacks.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Magicman on March 15, 2018, 10:01:58 PM
Oh Wow, what a monster.  Count the growth rings if you can, but you will probably need a magnifying glass.  :P
On our nice cherry we are seeing 3 rings per inch or less.  Crazy fast growth.  Must connect the phone to the computer and upload photos so I can post.  
Finally started getting good pricing too, someone trucks it to PA and sells it as PA cherry for export.  Funny but true.
Liking Walnut

starmac

Nativewolf, what or where is your location that they are hauling from?

Goat, no more than the price difference is between the standard and wide head, it sure wouldn't take many deals like that, where you get a refferal job just because you have a wide head, to come out ahead on the deal.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Percy on March 15, 2018, 10:03:42 PM
Wow!! Nice log. I'm from the cold north and while I've seen many cherry boards/slabs posted, I'm still cherry ignorant. I had a bing cherry tree in my yard that delivered the most excellent fruit every year for about 40 years. Then it swallowed the big onion. I cut it down and milled the butt log pieces and it was crap. This must be some kinda cherry that us northern Canadians don't get. Does this this excellent have a history of delivering red berry type fruit earlier in its life??
The cherry in question here is black cherry which grows over most of the eastern half of the US.  It does get large and yes it makes an edible fruit, but it is not commonly eaten.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

31" butt is the largest Black Cherry log that I have ever sawn.  I could not count the close rings without a magnifying glass.  It was over 200 years old but I did not make a note of the exact number or years. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nativewolf

Quote from: starmac on March 15, 2018, 10:19:02 PM
Nativewolf, what or where is your location that they are hauling from?

Goat, no more than the price difference is between the standard and wide head, it sure wouldn't take many deals like that, where you get a refferal job just because you have a wide head, to come out ahead on the deal.
This harvest is in Northern VA.  Not typically a great cherry location but we have 12mbf of really nice stuff.  Virtually no gum, some logs getting $3/ft which is really good for cherry in VA.  Took a lot of work though.  Guy who bought it trucks it to PA and exports it from there.  Funny funny
It's not much in the grand scheme of things but the cherry is all profit on this one.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

The goat's log is very nice though much less sapwood than our harvest.  In late may I start another one with lots of cherry.
Liking Walnut

burtle

Looking forward to pictures of the slabs!
Never Give Up

LeeB

Quote from: nativewolf on March 15, 2018, 10:31:29 PMThis harvest is in Northern VA.  Not typically a great cherry location but we have 12mbf of really nice stuff.  Virtually no gum, some logs getting $3/ft which is really good for cherry in VA.  Took a lot of work though.  Guy who bought it trucks it to PA and exports it from there.  Funny funny It's not much in the grand scheme of things but the cherry is all profit on this one.  

Similar thing happens with the Walnut in my area. It sells for more in Missouri and often is better quality than their walnut. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Bet the owner will be a member of the wide board club. I would be hard put to cut narrow stuff from it myself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: starmac on March 15, 2018, 10:19:02 PM

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
I didn't get the wide head just to have one....I have been sending messages, making calls and letting other sawmills know I have the wide head.
I do charge a good bit more to saw slabs over 26 inches.
I sawed some wide Walnut slabs the other week from a huge log. The 33 inch wide x 10 foot Walnut slabs will sell for around $1000 each and down as the slabs came down to about 20 inches wide. The customer estimate he had close to $6,000 in Walnut slabs. He builds bar top for restaurants. I was so happy I didn't hit any nails.
The customer was really happy at what I charged to saw his Walnut and I was too. :) 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: LeeB on March 16, 2018, 01:51:54 AM
Bet the owner will be a member of the wide board club. I would be hard put to cut narrow stuff from it myself.
I'll take a closer pic. He has already drawn out on the end how he wants it sawn.....with a sharpie.
A Mantel is coming out of the center.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crossroads

For the price difference, I couldn't imagine buying a standard width if buying new. 

Have fun with that cherry log! 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

If I was in the market for a new sawmill there is no question that it would be an LT40 Widehead SuperHydraulic.  ;D

terrifictimbersllc

I have the same thought. But I am really wondering whether 35 hp diesel, as it is currently outfitted,  is enough for those 33 inch wide cuts. I currently have a 42 hp turbo diesel, cutting up to 27 inches wide, and I would sure hate to find out that the 35 horse power non-turbo is lacking for 6" wider cuts. I don't think I'd be asking this question if I could get the 47 hp which was previously available.

Any feedback from current owners, especially those using a straightedge and tachometer, well, just might help Woodmizer sell another mill. I know somebody that might buy one.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I actually have the same concern about the present Diesel engine.  When I replaced my engine I gave up a turbo-Diesel for the present non-turbo.  I felt the difference on the first log.  :-\

I have gotten used to this one but the 7° Turbos are a mouth full with even a 26" cut such as I was doing yesterday. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never ran a Turbo Diesel but coming from a 26 hp gas to my new 35.9, it don't get any better.

starmac

MM was the turbo diesel replacement no longer available or did you just decide to go with the non turbo?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crossroads

I'm running the 26hp gas and it does ok. On a wide cut it will get wavy before it pulls the engine down. That being said, if I had it to do over again, I would have bought the oil burner that was parked next to the gas burner. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

Wide head but needed help to phone home.......

LINKS TO OFFSITE IMAGES ARE NOT ALLOWED!!!!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

David,

As I understand you can cut up to 36". If this log is indeed 39" I assume you will have to Bibby off a thin slice off one or two sides. Is that what you will do or did he want it squared up into boards or one live edge? (From what I've seen on it so far it sounds like the customer did want thick slabs.) 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!