iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange place for a pine

Started by Banjo picker, November 15, 2010, 09:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I found this pine tree growing out of the top of a utility pole/fencepost...It is starting to bust the post a part..I hope whoever owns it don't decide to cut it ..

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Wow, Tim.  That truly is a treasure.  Thanks for sharing that picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Debbie and I were taking a ride on the bike and I had seen that tree one day while on the job...we went by there and I got her to take the pic...She put the pic in the gallery for me...This is the first time I have been able to get a pic up without help....If I have got the hang of it I have a bunch I want to share.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nate Surveyor

I think your pic is extraordinary.

But, I do see this often, with pines growing out of horizontal RR ties.

Now, you have me thinking.... get a large hollow tree, and cut it, fill it with dirt, and just see what I can get growing out of it when one end is planted vertical! (Just for fun)

I get hollow trees occasionally, and that would be a good use of them. I always think of making bird houses out of them.

N
I know less than I used to.

fishpharmer

Banjo, good job on posting the pic.   8)

You reckon that pine tree is much older than it looks?  Wonder what the site index is for the top of a pole?    Hmmm  bonsai pine trees ::)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

The core of that post must have been wet enough for the tree to root eh? I've seen yellow birch do that on stumps and moss covered boulders. The stumps rot away and you have the roots a foot or so above the ground. On the rocks it looks like a creature is trying to take off with a rock in it's claws. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats an awesome pic Tim  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) You get to see some trees growing in weird situations sometimes Mate  :) ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Also, congratulations on mastering that picture posting thing.  I've been wanting to see pictures of your stuff.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Here is the same tree in 2015...the first was taken in 2010.

I think fishpharmer got it right this tree is growing very slow for a pine...it may well be fairly old.  I will try to get another pict. in 2020.  Banjo

Fil

Very neat! Thanks for posting five years later. Definitely a unique find.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Very small tree to have cones.  Early cone production can be a sigh of stress.  Supports the older age theory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Another 5 years have went by.  It hasn't grown much but it's still alive.  It just barely got missed by the tornado that went through Tishomingo on March 24....by maybe 100 yards.

Banjo

SwampDonkey

I have a white pine in the yard in partial shade of an oak that is only about 5" diameter and has been producing cones for 4 years. Well that includes first year fertilization and second year maturity. They take two years like red oak does. It dropped some cones last winter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Sometimes white cedar will do that on old posts in the shade of the woods. On the west (wet) coast, hemlock is likely to do the same. I have seen them grow off a moss covered limb high up in old ancient cedar trees. The cedars are 100's of years old. They get rain there  almost every day where I have seen it. Also see bigger ones growing off old down cedar logs. Sapwood all mush and moss covered. Very wet medium.

Roxie

Fascinating story and without the pictures, it would be hard to believe. 

Life lesson: grow where you are planted.  
Say when

Banjo picker

Notice that in the first picture there is a brace against the post. In the second picture the wire and what's left of a post is there.  In the last I dont even see the wire.  Deb took the picture as we were out surveying the tornado damage in the area.   This area around the town of Tishomingo has got hit hard two times in the last few months.  I'll check it again in 2025.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!