Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: Satamax on August 16, 2015, 09:37:32 AM
Thanks a lot Fishpharmer.

Guys, the next questions are:

How many log dogs do i need? Of what type?

I have two small hydraulic rams, which could do the job may be.

Log turner? I'd be keen on a chain one. That might wait, and i will use a cant hook and the crane.

Laser? I'd be real keen on a laser line. But on the cheap ;D

How do i set it up? I was thinking railways ties. Builders friends tell me concrete piers. But i don't know how all of that will evolve. I might be buying a little bit of land just next to mine, to square it off.  So the saw will move i think.

Any advice?

The motor on it for the moment is 22kw. My electricity supply only 15kw. I wonder if i could start it up with the 15kw. I have a brand new 11kw motor that i could retrofit and cut slow.

Thanks a lot guys.

You might get away with useing a pony motor for startup.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

slider

Good score on the mill Satamax .I have been following your post with interest for quiet some time.I'm glad you finally found you a mill.
al glenn

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

Kbeitz, i could. I don't know where i'm heading thought.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

For the moment, i'm searching ads for a frequency drive, which could limit the power.

Thanks.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

customsawyer

Great score on that mill. That thing is a beast. All I can tell you is if you get a log that will max that thing out you are going to need some strong hyd. for turning and clamping. If that mill can cut 40' long you might want to consider putting two turners and two clamps. I know that with the 40' logs I cut there is so many times that having the extra turner and clamp is the only way that I can turn the logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Warped

Wow! My guess is he got a great deal on it.............after they were done with it in the Sahara   ;D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Satamax

Customsawyer, yep that thing will max out at 12m, so that's 40 feet pretty much. May be i have a bit of leaway. I'm getting cranky, i want to make it run :D  My latest idea on log dogs, something like log tongs pulled by an hydraulic ram. That would be prety easy for centering. One fixed, the other one moveable to accomodate short or long logs.   Ok, two turners. I'll see what i can find in the way of chains and the like. Thanks a lot.
Quote from: Warped on August 19, 2015, 05:12:50 AM
Wow! My guess is he got a great deal on it.............after they were done with it in the Sahara   ;D

Warped, sorry for being French  ;D but i don't get it!

Tho i got a deal. I paid may be half the price of a brand new LT10.

47sawdust

Tho i got a deal. I paid may be half the price of a brand new LT10.
You might be French but you didn't get took on that deal.
I get sore just thinking about handling the lumber coming off that mill.Did a masseuse  come with the mill?
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Satamax

I'll have to look for the masseuse!  ;D

5quarter

Satamax...the Sahara was once full of trees. and then that mill arrived. and then all the trees were gone.  :D :D
great score!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

whitebread

Not to take this off topic. I figured from the picture with the writing on the road that this was on the Tour de France route. Beautiful country.
Stihl 460, 290, and 250. Granberg CS mill and Mini-mill. New Holland TL-80 with 820TL loader and grapple.

Satamax

Quote from: whitebread on August 20, 2015, 03:33:45 PM
Not to take this off topic. I figured from the picture with the writing on the road that this was on the Tour de France route. Beautiful country.

Yep, ...... tour de france! Because of all the passes around, we get, from june, to end of september, all the idiots cyclists, who think they own the road. No lights, no reflectors, no yellow jacket. Toll last year, three deaths just in the Lautaret pass!

Don't start me on road cycling, or i'll rant forever  ;D

Warped

Quote from: Satamax on August 20, 2015, 04:41:38 PM

Yep, ...... tour de france! Because of all the passes around, we get, from june, to end of september, all the idiots cyclists, who think they own the road. No lights, no reflectors, no yellow jacket. Toll last year, three deaths just in the Lautaret pass!

Yeah, but they got good drugs.........if that's your thing   lol!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Satamax

Quote from: Warped on August 20, 2015, 04:49:47 PM
Quote from: Satamax on August 20, 2015, 04:41:38 PM

Yeah, but they got good drugs.........if that's your thing   lol!
Noteven, their stuff doesn't get you high! :(

Ianab

Just out of interest, 8,000ft around here puts you up in the snow and clouds on top of this hill.  :D

3500ft is about as high as you can drive...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Satamax

Well, Ianab, that's because it's the end of the winter where you live. :D

Here's what it looks like in october where i live.

In the winter, i work for the chairlift company.  So i see plenty of snow.

The closest pass near me is open all winter and  is at 6751ft above sea level. ;D

Satamax

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 15, 2015, 08:15:52 PM
Glad I dont have to buy blades for that thing....
Spoke with the guy from "Forezienne mfls" a company which provide for the needs of a lot of sawyers in France. He said 12cm wide blade, stellite tipped ready to saw is 250 ex VAT. Not tooo tooo bad! ;D

5quarter

Quote from: Satamax on August 27, 2015, 05:52:10 PM
...12cm wide blade, stellite tipped ready to saw is 250 ex VAT...
American translation: ...Blahblah wide blade, stellite tipped blade ready to saw is blahblahblah.
;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Satamax

5quarter, ye'r a cunning linguist, fantastic one even. I would never had thought you understood French!  ;D

Satamax

Well, just bought some MEM log dogs, from a vertical headrig. Without motors :( But since they will be modified. I'll see how it goes.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Satamax on August 27, 2015, 05:52:10 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on August 15, 2015, 08:15:52 PM
Glad I dont have to buy blades for that thing....
Spoke with the guy from "Forezienne mfls" a company which provide for the needs of a lot of sawyers in France. He said 12cm wide blade, stellite tipped ready to saw is 250 ex VAT. Not tooo tooo bad! ;D
So is that 250 euros plus VAT? Pretty expensive.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

Yep, it is. But they last a fair bit. You're counting may be 12 sharpenings between re stelliting. And 10 times that before the band is dead.

Satamax

Ten months later.   

Satamax

Progress as of today!

All the piers are poured, i mean i've filled 8 more barrels, that we need to bury with a friend.

But i am gutted. I've noticed there's one part missing. The pulley for raising the head. It's nothing. I have a lathe and i know how to use it. But if i had known better, i would have checked that. Pulley should be on the arbor bellow, on the last pic.  :(

ozarkgem

Your piers should be stout enough. Won't be any give for sure. Now where is your log pile?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!