iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made bandsawmill questions

Started by Michael Surman, January 01, 2018, 07:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Surman

Hi I've just signed on to the forestry forum to ask some questions about my saw mill
I purchased it as a locally built resaw for sawing shake bolts at a mill in Cowichan on Vancouver island. It has a 10 horse electric motor, and a manual hydrolic 3 ton tensioner. It worked great for pushing through small cedar loggs
I decided to increase what I could do with it by turning it into a mill, so I've widened it turned it horizontally and made a 20 ft track. It works pretty well, I'm not into making 2+ 4s just want to be able to make some furniture useing some of the wood I often get given as a tree climber. The question is I've been useing this withought guides, the blade does run true for cedar as long as I keep about 2500 lbs of pressure on it, but for harder woods when it hits a knot the blade often dives. I don't mind putting on a new blade, but would it help if I put on some guides, I didn't want to buy them if I don't have too, any advice please

KirkD

Welcome to the forum! I am not an expert but I think most all band mills run a guide and the reason is to keep it from cutting wavy and also you can have premature band breakage if you don't. Both Cook's and Wood-mizer sell assembly's that can be retrofitted on to about any mill.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!