iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw mill

Started by 4woody, August 13, 2006, 09:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4woody

HI my name is Woody i wood like to see more about chain sawmills home made ones  I have a timberjig and some stuff i welded up today i made oxtagone post

PawNature

I had a procut that I bought off rebocardo who is also a ff member. Don't really have any interest in another one but you can check out my gallery for some photos of the mill.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

4woody

Hi did you like the mill

4woody

do you still have the mill

PawNature

Key word was had.
Yes I really liked the mill.
Would I want another one. No
I have a Norwood lumbermate Now and love it.

4woody

just a few more ideals before i strat please & pic

PawNature

Click on my gallery link. there should be pics in there

rebocardo

A chainsaw mill is a good way to get started, but, the speed and kerf are its main drawbacks. It is probably the cheapest way to get started and is well suited for making large cants and slabs.

After seeing how well a swing blade works, I would favor that except the price  :o

A procut chainsaw mill is basically a trailer that holds both the log and carriage. The tough part for me was moving a log unto the trailer on uneven ground. It might have been different with a Logrite or big Arky stick. Still, I cut a decent amount of wood and it was more profitable then turning the wood into firewood.

The logosol chainsaw mill is more like a swing blade because you set the frame around the log that carries the carriage.

solodan

I have a Lucas, and that is what I use for making demensional lumber, but if I am taking a log and just cutting  some mantels., I reach for the Alaskan mill every time.
Speed and kerf are definately an issue when cutting demensional stock, but it really doesn't matter much when cutting large slabs and ripping logs into  halfs. The price of these usually reflects that the customer has paid for the extra time and extra sawdust. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!