iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on cutting Cherry stump

Started by Papa1stuff, March 19, 2013, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

My Grand Daughter and her Husband took down this Cherry tree in their back yard and asked me if I wanted it,Well yes ;D

The first picture is the log with the stump cut off ,next picture is stump!

The next pictures are the stump and I could use some advice as how to saw it!

As you probably can see the stump is upside down!
This last picture is one of the planks from the log 2 1/2 " thick!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

sealark37

You were right to take the cherry stump.  I was given a stump many years ago while i was stationed in upstate New York.  I was puzzled as you are about how to cut it up.  I was finally directed to an OLD vertical band mill.  The owner was retired, and the mill was shut down, but he got interested in the stump and took the time to slab it for me in 4" slabs.  I then cut boards from the slabs on a huge sliding table saw that he had in the shop.  It produced some of the most interesting and beautiful lumber I ever had.  I would suggest that you look for a sawyer with a slabbing mill to help you cut it into manageable chunks.  Have fun, and Regards, Clark

qbilder

God bless our troops

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That stump is just mind boggling.  :) I can't give any advice, but I would love to see the pics when you get it sawn.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPIKER

slab out of the center of that stump might be real nice for a table ;)  just speculation though and not sure how you would cut it without a slabber on a lucas or similar...

nice looking board too...   

Yard tree means metal usually how was it??

<Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jay C. White Cloud

This beauty could yield a wonderful surprise, (both good and bad,)  and is worth the effort.  Now what can also be a nightmare can also present the most wonderful effect... encapsulated stone.  You will need a big band mill, slabber on a swing saw assembly, or a large chainsaw mill.  If you hit stone, it will stop things dead, but it isn't time to give up.  You have just got more work to do, and you will only get one good slab out of the stump, (with lost of possible turning blanks.)   

If stone is discovered, you have to switch to a "stratifying jig" that uses a large (3 hp) router.  Each pass of the router takes off another layer, until you reach what will become the top of your slab. The stone will have to be surfaced with a stone carving diamond bit that either fits the router or you must do it by hand with other types of stone carving tools, all depending on the effect you want, (ground, polish, bushed, etc.)  You may even choose to forgo sawing this and set up the router jig first.

Best of luck, post pics of you progress,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Papa1stuff

Thanks for all your replys ,guess I will have to find someone to slab it.

There was no metal which really surprised me as it was a yard tree.

I have pressured washed the stump a couple times and will again,I don't think there will be any rocks in it as the soil where it was is pretty much sand,but you never know!

Magicman

Would you saw it vertical or horizontal to the ground line?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

I would chainsaw  it right down the middle and fit it on your mill. Cut thick slabs if it turns out nice you may have some beautiful book end cuts.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Papa1stuff

Quote from: redbeard on March 21, 2013, 09:07:20 AM
I would chainsaw  it right down the middle and fit it on your mill. Cut thick slabs if it turns out nice you may have some beautiful book end cuts.

That is what I have been thinking,There is a good spot to cut it so it will fit my mill!!

But I have to wait a few days as I had a cancer removed from near my nose and Dr, says no work for a few days while it heals!! :(

Thank You Sponsors!