iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw won't stay running

Started by JohnnyF, October 16, 2006, 10:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyF

I have a Husky 55 rancher that is about 2 yrs old.  I don't cut a lot of wood but have not had one problem with this saw until yesterday.  It started fine, ran for a few seconds and died. I restarted it several times and it just won't run when I hit the trigger, it just dies.  So far it has been dissassembled and carb cleaned, muffler checked and new gas, twice mixed.  The H and L screws have been adjusted 6 ways to Sunday and it still won't stay running.  I'm wondering if the fuel line is partially plugged but if I choke it and start it, and play with the choke in and out a small amount, it will run for a short time before dying.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks

Tony_T

Put a little mix directly in the carb inlet, if it starts and runs a few secounds it indicates a fuel problem. 

If so, check the fuel filter and fuel line, diaphrams in the carb that pump the fuel, and the vacuum hose that provides vacuum from the crankcase (cracks/leaks).

twoodward15

Not trying to sound condecending, but are you sure you are adjusting the carb properly?  Next I'd check for loose/spongey fuel lines, then check the filter in the tank.  I just got done with a homolite that had the same problem.  Adjusted carb and it worked great........for a while, then the fuel lines went bad.  It is a saw that is about 10 years old, but only used once and left outside in its case until a few months ago.  I changed the fuel lines today and she runs great now.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

PineNut

I have a Husky 55 and have replaced more fuel lines than chains. I have heard that the new fuel lines are made of a different and better (?) material.  They do look different. The symptoms were the same as you are giving.

jacob j.

Fuel lines are the number one issue on a Rancher 55 that has sat. It may also be the time to install a new carb kit, not just clean it out.

SLOBuds

My Rancher has been a workhorse (for me, in my tiny 10 acre parcel!).  I've had it for 4 years never giving it a tuneup, or even a new spark plug.  I've never even messed with the adjustment screws.  The saw absolutely kicks bu** from my perspective and turns potentially long days into, well, much shorter.  Guess there are bigger and more powerful solutions, but the Rancher is perfect for my scale.

I bought a Husky pole saw, on the other hand, that has run less than 4 hours.  It always gave me trouble and finally was unable to hold idle recently.

I cleaned everything and gave up by handing it over to a mechanic.  One fuel line later the engine held idle and ran just fine.

Not sure why they are having so much trouble with the little fuel lines.

Martin

PineNut

The problem with the fuel line is they probably wanted to save 2 cents so they went with the cheaper one. (Also means they can sell more of them.) I have been in the manufacturing area and have seen how they look at price vs quality.

Al_Smith

It's most likely a fuel delivery thing,carb or lines.

dredgeslavedave

I think it is the fuel line as well. I bought two 3120XP huskys and both of them had bad fuel lines within a year. Husquvarna is starting to build a bad reputation one fuel line at a time. Your saws are only as good as the weakest link.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

rebocardo

re:fuel lines

It might be the fuel available in the USA is not too kind to equipment using gas formulated to different standards.

PineNut

If they are going to sell the saws in the US, they should be capable of working on the gas available here. They may have made the change as the last fuel line on my saw looked different than the previous ones.

Thank You Sponsors!