iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I lost my inspiration.

Started by firefighter ontheside, March 29, 2024, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

My dad passed away on March 15.  Dad was my milling partner.  Dad was my best friend. 
I've been out of work on disability since January 17 due to elbow surgery.  Now that I'm going back to work at the FD, I'm gonna be able to start milling and woodworking again.  Due to dad's illness, he hadn't been able to mill with me since thanksgiving, but now knowing that he's gone I'm having trouble feeling motivated to get back into it.  I'm sure that I will get back into it.  I went out there and did some cleaning up around the mill in preparation for milling, but things reminded me of dad and that made me sad.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

chet

What works for me is to remember those loved ones past as I continue to do those things we once shared together. And I know they are watching with a big smile as I continue on. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

I'm very sorry to hear that, FFOTS😥 I would have a hard time getting back into it, too.
Too many irons in the fire

rusticretreater

He would want you to continue milling. So get with it mister!  :smitten:
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

fluidpowerpro

I'm sorry for your loss. Be grateful for the time you had milling with your dad. I would have loved the opportunity to mill with my dad as I know he would have enjoyed it. Unfortunately I didn't get into milling until after he passed.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

SawyerTed

Sorry about your dad.  I'm close to my dad as well.  

Milling is your connection to good memories of him.  You'll get back to it I'm sure.   It's probably what he'd want.  

Grief never goes away but it changes in time.  Part of that is how it changes us.   Try to make sure how it changes you honors your dad.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I offer my Condolences during this sad time.  You said that he was your inspiration so you will honor his memory by continuing to do the things that he inspired you to do.  You now have to "shoulder up" and carry on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sorry to hear that.
My Father never got to see me buy a sawmill. We sure did look a lot and talk a lot about a mill!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Bill, Although this is a 'new thing' to learn how to deal with and it hurts or makes you sad, it can be a good thing. It shows just how much your Dad meant in your life, how much he gave an shared with you. It is an ongoing gift. I know it doesn't feel that way right now and I am not going to say 'you'll get used to it' because you never do. Part of your life (a very significant part) was ripped away from you
 When my Dad passed in '14 it really put a hole in my life, first because I spent a lot of time caring for him in his last years, but mostly it was that 'stuff' we connected on in a unique way. Something would happen on my job and the first thing in my mind was wanting to tell my ad the story because I knew he would get a kick out of it. Then I would remember he was gone and the sadness returned. That sensation still hasn't gone away, but now I think "Boy, Dad would have really got a big kick out of this", and sometimes I think "Boy, I'm glad Dad is not around to see this, he would be hopping mad!". I found a place to put those thoughts and cherish them over time. It's how they stay a part of your life.
 A year and a half after My Dad passed, I lost my mentor, very good friend, and second father almost, to cancer in 2015. Again, we had a lot of memorable experiences together and some great conversations. To this day I still see, read, or experience something and think "I have to call Bill and share this with him". It's only for a fleeting moment, but it's still there. Barely a day goes by even now that Bill doesn't enter my thoughts.
 Ten months later we lost my Mom in 2016. Same thing when those things she enjoyed come up and I think of how she would have reacted or enjoyed something. 
 This is how these very important people stay with us. Hopefully, over time your sadness will transform into a tender memory when those things come up.
 I wish you and your family peace.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Sorry Bill.  My wife was helping yesterday in the yard, and we had a moment.  She lost her dad when she was only 14.  I said it was too bad her dad was not alive to see this as I knew form the kind of guy he was (reported to me) that he would have enjoyed this.  we come from similar backgrounds.  She said he was a lot like my dad.  Good memories.  My dad never saw my mill, but it would have put a smile on his face.  I am glad you and your dad were close.  He obviously inspired you in many ways.  It is your time to make a special relationship with your family in the same way, as I know you are doing.  I am glad your kids knew him.  Tincture of time my friend.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DHansen

My condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Golden memories will help you move forward and comfort you.  You can't just pick up the phone and ask him a question, but he will still be there with you every day.

Magicman

How many times have I said that the person that I need to ask that question is no longer here?  Yes sadly those unanswered questions remain unanswered.  That is one reason that we must share as much information as we can while we can but many unanswered questions will remain after we are gone.  So is the circle of life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RetiredTech

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Even though my Dad never saw my mill I think of him every time I saw a log. He loved working with wood. I still like to visit his old shop.
 Enjoy the memories and carry on.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

SawyerTed

@Magicman Lynn, there comes a time when we become the mentors and the ones who get asked the questions.  Hopefully we are the kind who are sought for that purpose.  

Thanks for being one of those, among others, we can ask!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Peter Drouin

Sorry for your loss. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

Condolences for your loss. Been 21 years since loss of my Dad. Think of him often. 

Carrying-on is what we expect/hope/pray our sons and daughters will do, albeit we will not know the outcome. They can turn their attention to their own off-spring.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

B.C.C. Lapp

Sorry about your Dad FirefighterO.T.S.       I can only agree with what the other guys have said.   Shoulder on.  Your Dad would not want you to give up something you love because it now reminds you of how much you miss him.   He would want you to keep on and with time those memory's will make you smile.   Right now the wounds still new.  You'll heal. And grow. 
When my granddad died I was lost for a bit.   When I regained my footing I was maybe stronger and maybe a little better man for it.   Like Lynn said, its life.  
Stay busy.  Working hands make for a healthy mind.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

ron barnes

Sorry for your loss.  It has been 30 years since my Dad passed.  I still think about him every day.

Rhodemont

Get back to milling when you are ready and think of dad,  He will still be your inspiration.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

moodnacreek

I hunted and fished with a man for 50 years. When he passed it took alot out of my enthusiasm but I forced myself to carry on. Opening a box of flys he tied can bring tears.  Somehow you have to turn the sorrow into pleasant memories.

Bruno of NH

Sorry for your loss
The best way to honor your Dad is to keep on milling and woodworking. 
I'm willing to bet that's what he would want you to do.
I lost my Dad and know how it feels 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

I know you guys are right and he would want me to keep it up and get right back into it.  Thanks for all of your insight.  I know I am not the first to lose a dad and I really appreciate all of the support I have had.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JJ

My condolences on your loss.   My late dad's birthday just passed, I think of him a lot.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!