iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a little disappointed

Started by cutterboy, Today at 09:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn, Ljohnsaw, Ianab, WhitePineJunky and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

cutterboy

I'm not angry, just a little disappointed
I just got back into the house after pulling a stuck pickup out of the mud with the tractor.
Walking out the door this morning I could see across the street in my sister's yard headlights where no car should be. I could hear the sounds of a truck trying to get unstuck. I went across the street and there was a new pickup sunk in the mud. And I mean deep in the mud. There was a man I don't know dressed up nice like he worked in an office. I got my tractor and pulled him on semi-solid ground and told him to try getting out. He gunned it and the back end slid back into soft ground, mud was spraying everywhere but he did manage to get back on the solid ground of the driveway.
Then he drove down the driveway, onto the street and he was gone. Not a thankyou or even a wave goodby, and that is why I'm disappointed. Here in the country I expected he would have stopped, thanked me and we would have chatted a few minutes, shake hands and he would have driven off waving goodby.
I'm not angry with him. He looked like a city boy and maybe never learned good manners. Maybe he was late for work.
I feel good that I was able to help him but sad at the way it ended.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive and expect too much of people.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SawyerTed

More than likely was where he shouldn't have been in more ways than one...
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

I think those are the kind of people who are labeled as "Entitled". If he'd stopped to talk it would probably have been to ask how long it would take you to finish detailing his truck.

I remember seeing a news clip where a major hurricane had hit the south and the TV newsman/woman was walking back to a suburb in Mississippi or Louisiana with a resident and they got to the owner's house and there was nothing left but a foundation. The lady said "Oh well, we better go see how Miz Edna's place fared." The newscaster was amazed and said "But you've just lost your entire home." The owner said "Yeah but there's nothing I can do about that and I may still be able to help Miz Edna."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

I have learned that if you don't expect anything from people you probably won't be disappointed. Sad, but that's the way thing seem to be now.

It seems like at least a 'Thank You" should have been given no matter the surrounding circumstances.

On the other hand, If you had approached him before the unsticking and told him it would be $100 to get him out sometime today and $200.00 to do it now, he probably would have fallen all over himself being appreciative! ffwave

YellowHammer

Yeah, if somebody gets stuck in my neighbors or relatives yard at night while joy riding and trenching it, I would have walked out and met him about the time the county cops finished writing him a ticket and the tow truck showed up. 

I have zero tolerance for trespassing and destruction of property on mine or anybody else's. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

How old a guy.  not all young folks are taught that you are owed nothing.  take it for granted as your responsibility!!.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

I'm with you Robert!  Trespassing and damage to our land is serious business.  It may be huge but I consider our farm my front and back yards.  

It's not always young folks.  We used to allow the high school (I was a teacher there) to mark a cross country track course on our farm. Teams from all over the region came by the bus load to race when they had meets.  Usually there were 3 or 4 teams, coaches and parents.  We were happy to allow them to hold the events.

However, one rainy fall Friday evening, I looked out the kitchen window and saw a vehicle driving and spinning around in the hay field beside our house.  There was evidence the same vehicle had driven through our field of corn across the road. 

Long story short, a sheriff's deputy had to be involved and located the vehicle at the high school football game.  I got the license plate number and had followed the vehicle to the school.  Thankfully, the deputy was there when I got there and he dealt with the guy directly.  The individual driving was an adult cross country coach and teacher at one of the schools who had run races on our farm.  

He was "looking for the farm road and was going 4 wheeling" if he could have found it.  I asked him what gave him the idea he was allowed to do that.  No answer.  I asked the deputy to specifically tell him not to come back.  

I had the guy charged with trespass, damage to agricultural crops/land and everything else I could justify.  It was ugly for him and the other school's principal, athletic director and cross country track team.  

It was under threat of losing his teaching job that I finally got an apology directly from him.  

The damage was bad from where he did doughnuts.  I made him pay for reseeding the hay field by a professional seeding company and asked the district attorney to hold the charges until that was done to my satisfaction.  It was repaired and the district attorney dropped the charges.  Enough inconvenience for both of us.  

He was supposed to be a grown ice adult!

Unfortunately, that put an end to cross country events on our farm.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Texas Ranger

Back in the day we were living on a farm in Missouri where it was legal to have a surface drain field for the septic system.  It was located some 200 feet from the yard.  It was a bog.  We had renter neighbors that anyplace they were they had a right to be, drive though the field one night.  The next morning their pickup was buried axel deep in the center of the drain field.  We knew the family and expected them to come claim the truck and apologize.  Nope, sat there till the next morning when we called the sheriff who had a wrecker haul the truck to the county impound.  Then the neighbor erupted and started to cuss us for our "lack of consideration" because of the fee for the haul off.  They continued the rant till I informed them that we had not filed trespass charges, yet.  Attitude changed, and since they were renters they left, still no apology.

The happy ending came when we spoke to the landowner of the neighbor, just telling the story and laughing at the situation of their crappy day.  The neighbor was asked to leave at the end of the month.

Country folks help each other.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

moodnacreek

Are you guys talking about my neighbors?

YellowHammer

Quote from: cutterboy on Today at 09:58:27 AMMaybe I'm just too sensitive and expect too much of people.
That's what people say about me. I'm just too nice, sensitive and compassionate of other peoples feelings!

Anyway, I'm glad that there are still nice folks like you out there. 

I keep thinking I may have tried to pull him out with a piece of barb wire wrapped around his $200 rear tires.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Nebraska

Just maybe that dip will come back later with a 12 pack and apologize. I doubt it but maybe.... Just finished a little plumbing before Easter project that took 4x too long and an extra trip to the hardware store, so I am trying to brighten my outlook with optimism. 

Or I might be stalling on the forum before going out to re align the roller guides on my mill.    :uhoh: 

chet

Cutter you did the neighborly thing, and you should DanG well feel good about it. 

Once as a kid I pulled a State Trooper out of a snow drift on the edge of the road. His only words to me afterwards was  'ya know I could ticket you for doing this'.  Some people have the personality of a rock!  rayrock
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SawyerTed

A kid ran off the road and down a pretty steep bank in the snow one night not too long ago.  My BIL, who doesn't feel comfortable on a tracto called and asked would I come around the corner and pull him out.  I went.

When I got there the highway patrol, fire department and half the neighbors were there.  My BIL had pulled his tractor over, had the chains ready. All that had to be done was connect to the car and pull.  

I handed the hook to the kid and said, "You go down there and hook to it where you want me to pull.  Be advised that if the bumper pulls off, the car turns over or is damaged in any way I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE."

The look on his face was priceless!  He said, "Let me go talk to my mom."  He came back and said thanks but they have towing insurance and AAA.  They would wait until the next day.  AAA wouldn't touch it because it was more than 50 feet off the road.  

I was there when the tow truck pulled it out.  I don't think I would have hurt the car any worse.  

The highway patrol gave the kid a ticket for something but I'm not sure what. I suspect either careless and reckless or improper equipment.

trapper

Years ago coming home after work second shift I came across a county officer stuck just off the road.  He had gone in on a trail where kids would park.  He was only a couple feet off the road so I offered to go the mile home get a chain and get him out.  He agreed .  Just got him out and along comes the district attorney who began to chew me our for blocking the highway.  The cop told him to shut and go home to sober up
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: chet on Today at 04:48:56 PMOnce as a kid I pulled a State Trooper out of a snow drift on the edge of the road. His only words to me afterwards was  'ya know I could ticket you for doing this'.  Some people have the personality of a rock!  rayrock
I'd be rubbing my eyes and blinking in disbelief..... "WHAT?" 😆 

Had to have been 1 in a million 

B.C.C. Lapp

Outlaw on the run?  Husband where he ought not to be or have been?   Don't matter, still bad manners any way you turn it.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!