iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video The big race

Started by teed, July 19, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teed

The big Racy Day...
Competition between electric saw and Stihl MS391. Which saw the fastest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ZBYVPidpY
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

Magicman

What race??   ???   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Magicman-
It  was so fast you missed it!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw the race on my Mac.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

teed

as they say in Thailand, same same but different

21incher

Great video. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Uhhh
I think the Stihl was lapped!

Thanks for video!

Percy

Holy hormones Batman!!!! Neat video.... Compared to the electric unit, the gas powered mill was standing Stihl... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

1-2 Tree

I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

dustyhat

I do like watching that saw go 8)

teed

Quote from: Percy on July 19, 2015, 07:56:21 PM
Holy hormones Batman!!!! Neat video.... Compared to the electric unit, the gas powered mill was standing Stihl... :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

AnthonyW

I expected some difference but WOW!. Gas powered was definitely lapped. I wonder what makes such a big difference.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

mad murdock

I am gueseing the massive torque of the electric motor over the gasser. Would like to see similar comparisons in electric vs gas on a BSM. I bet you would see similar results.  Great video teed.  Nice mill setup also!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

The Rabbit/Tortoise race comes to mind, except the Rabbit did not take a nap.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on July 20, 2015, 09:30:21 AM
The Rabbit/Tortoise race comes to mind, except the Rabbit did not take a nap.   ;D
"The Electrick Bunny"......THat be a good name for a band.... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ox

Fantastic!  I love watching that neat mill.  Thanks for that.

Have you ever found the need to wedge up the board after you've cut into the log to keep the chain from scratching at it on the way back around?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

teed

Quote from: Ox on July 20, 2015, 10:21:31 AM
Fantastic!  I love watching that neat mill.  Thanks for that.

Have you ever found the need to wedge up the board after you've cut into the log to keep the chain from scratching at it on the way back around?

there is very little marks of the chain, but they would probably disappear if you put a wedge. But I planes virtually everything I saw

YellowHammer

Pretty conclusive, I'd say.  Great video and thanks for taking the time to make it. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Nomad

Doesn't leave much room for doubt there, does it? :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Geeg

Sweet little setup you have there, just amazing the torque that electric has, what kind of amps does it pull?. Thanks for sharing another great video.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

teed

Quote from: Geeg on July 23, 2015, 05:03:03 AM
Sweet little setup you have there, just amazing the torque that electric has, what kind of amps does it pull?. Thanks for sharing another great video.

in Sweden, we run on 400v 3-phase and 16Amp and in the US it is 3-Phase, 220V, 40 amps if I understand correctly.

Thank You Sponsors!