iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HP for 4° blades?

Started by D6c, March 01, 2018, 02:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I was wondering how more power is required to use 4° blades as opposed to 7 or 10's?
I have a 20 hp Onan and am interested in your experience with lower hp mills and 4° blades.

Thinking I'd like to try out bi-metal while I'm experimenting too....I know bi-metal is all I use anymore on a metal cutting saw.

Kbeitz

I was told that 4% is the blade to use for low hp.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

D6c

Maybe my assumption is wrong....I figured the low tooth angle would pull harder.

Kbeitz

It's the only blades I use... 13hp Honda...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

firefighter ontheside

I have discovered that 4° would be better for the lower HP from what I've read.  I inherited an LT15 with 15 HP and all the blades I got with it are 10°.  It makes me wonder what it would be like with 4°.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Skipper11A

20hp is plenty of power.  Rember, you're using a 4* blade to make flat cuts in extremely hard or frozen wood.  Your cutting speed will be slow so that the blade doesn't dive or rise in the cut.  Horsepower is pretty irrelevant unless you're sawing extremely wide boards or your trying to jam the blade into softer woods as fast as it will go.

alanh

I have a lt15 with the 13? hp kohler, all I use is 4 degree, they work fine

Pabene

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-fareast-language:JA;} @page WordSection1 {size:595.0pt 842.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->
About 4° hook angle blades.

I have learned that, for the same specified wood, it works like this:
A blade with a hook angle of 10° will be "neutral" and cut straight.
A blade with a hook angle of 13° will "feed it self" in the same wood and will have a tendency to go up and stay higher in the cut.
A blade with a hook angle so steep as 4° will have a tendency to dive and stay low in the cut.
For other kind of wood the behavior trend would be the same but the "neutral" hook angle can be different.
Based on this I think it is good to be able to grind your own blade to the best hook angle, for the wood you are going saw.
I am also convinced it will shorten the life for the blade to "press feed" it with to steep (less than 4°-6°) hook angle most of the time.

SawyerTed

I've got a LT35 with 25 hp Kohler.  When I went for training on the mill, I spent about 45 minutes with the Resharp guy at Woodmizer Carolinas.  His explaination - or what I understood- was a 10 degree blade cuts best in softwood and a 4 degree blade cuts best in hardwoods.  A 4 degree blade will handle softwood fine so no need necessarily to switch back and forth between blades.  He recommended that I use 4 degree blades exclusively since I will cut both with a good amount of white and red oak.

According to the Resharp guy, 7 degree turbos are best used on sawmills with greater than 25 hp. 

I've milled about 15 or so white oak logs up to 28" diameter and 10' long.  The 4 degree blades have worked very well.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

D6c

4° it is then....need to order a box as I'm getting about out and will have quite a bit of sawing when the mud dries up enough.

D6c

Bummer....Looks like the only blade WM has in 4° is the Double-Hard.  I was seriously considering going to bi-metal.

Is that the blade all you 4° guys are using or is there another brand out there you like?....maybe in a bi-metal

starmac

You might try contacting them in person, ot everything is always listed.
You may also get in touch with cutting edge I want to say Richard is the one to talk to to see what kasco has to offer.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

I get mine from kasco...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

WHAT, you don't get your blades out of the junkyard, I'm flabbergasted.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

SawyerTed

Mine are the 4 degree double hard.

Bimetal are almost 3 times the cost.  Others will have to say whether there is savings in using them. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on March 01, 2018, 05:28:58 PM
WHAT, you don't get your blades out of the junkyard, I'm flabbergasted.
That's funny because my first blades did come from the junkyard... I cut them down to fit my mill and silver soldered them to fit my mill. I could still get blades there but I'm finding I don't have the time to full with them. Last year I bet I got two hundred new blades from the yard.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

4 degree DH are my preferred blades and the only one I would take if I could only take one blade on a remote job with me. I'm using a 25 hp Kohler engine. I'm no expert but I understand the 4 degree cuts a smaller chip hence requires less hp and cuts straighter through hard wood including hard knots in softwoods. 

I have not tried the other types of blades such as bimetal or such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

When I bought the old lt30 it came with 9's and 10's. I didn't like how the cut fir, so I switched to the 4's for cutting everything except cedar. The 18 horse pull them fine. Now with the LT40 and 28 hp, I'm still running the 4's almost exclusively. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

dgdrls

Quote from: D6c on March 01, 2018, 04:28:26 PM
4° it is then....need to order a box as I'm getting about out and will have quite a bit of sawing when the mud dries up enough.

What will you be sawing predominantly?

Let that guide your choice,

D

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 01, 2018, 04:03:54 PM
I've got a LT35 with 25 hp Kohler.  When I went for training on the mill, I spent about 45 minutes with the Resharp guy at Woodmizer Carolinas.  His explaination - or what I understood- was a 10 degree blade cuts best in softwood and a 4 degree blade cuts best in hardwoods.  A 4 degree blade will handle softwood fine so no need necessarily to switch back and forth between blades.  He recommended that I use 4 degree blades exclusively since I will cut both with a good amount of white and red oak.

According to the Resharp guy, 7 degree turbos are best used on sawmills with greater than 25 hp.

I've milled about 15 or so white oak logs up to 28" diameter and 10' long.  The 4 degree blades have worked very well.  
I am going to go against the grain here. Yes WM says the turbo is designed for use over 25 HP but of my 70 or so bands 60 or more are turbos these days and as the 10's die off they are replaced with turbos. All on a 25hp LT35. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Quote from: Southside logger on March 02, 2018, 12:20:59 AMI am going to go against the grain here. Yes WM says the turbo is designed for use over 25 HP but of my 70 or so bands 60 or more are turbos these days and as the 10's die off they are replaced with turbos. All on a 25hp LT35. 

Likely depends what you are cutting. In regular hardwoods, and not maxing out the cut width, the 7s will probably work fine on your mill, and should cut slightly faster than the 4deg ones. Get into some wide cuts on some real gnarly wood like Sheoak or Live Oak, they maybe wont be as happy. 

"Best" blade depends on YOUR mill, and what YOU are cutting. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

We don't have Sheoak or Liveoak around here, but we have hickory. I don't know exactly how wide the largest hickory is that I have sawn but safe to say somewhere in the upper teens. Earlier this week I had a SYP that filled the throat, had to gun barrel the log and even then managed to hang up once or twice, so I do get some wide stuff.  

My point is that those bands will work where they were not designed to work. I am pretty happy they were recommended to me by a Wood Mizer dealer who thinks outside of the box. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!