iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log milling sizes and output on a Woodmizer LT40

Started by NicoleeK, February 28, 2018, 06:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicoleeK

I'm brand spanking new to this milling business and have found myself with a Woodmizer lt40.  I have a friend who is a tree trimmer and who has dropped off quite a bit of lumber which I am hoping to mill.  My first question would be - what is the normal output for a tree that is approximately 15" in diameter?  Or is that even worth milling?  On any size boards, ie. 2x4's, 2x6's, etc?  Can anyone help with this? 

Stuart Caruk

The commercial mills make framing lumber from 6" logs...

What you get out of a 16" log is up to you. Best way is to just start cutting for practice. You'll need a bunch or 3" x 3" for cribbing, smaller pieces for stickering, maybe some pallets...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

starmac

Check out the toolbox, it has a log size for can't size scale in it, plus you can get some side lumber too. It will at least give you an idea of what size you can get out of a given size log.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

moodnacreek

Here's an example; it takes a 17" straight log to cut a 12x12. The log is measured on the small end inside bark. It makes no difference what kind of saw or sawmill because the sawdust comes out of the slabs.  If you where to cut this timber into smaller pieces then the saw thickness matters. On most hardwood and some softwood you will not cut thick [2x +] after the slab is taken off but cut a 1" to get in deeper and then take the 2x. Ideally you would turn 180 degrees and slab, 1" board, then the 2". Now you have a 2sided cant with the heart in the center that holds the cant straight while you attack the other 2 sides.  Keeping the heart centered [when you can is important]  Every board has a kerf except the last one. On the first slab and board there is nothing to figure but when you go 180 to slab you have to figure the thickness the last piece will be and every cut to get there. Certain logs cut certain sizes for reasons you have to learn the hard way. Again paying attention to the heart will help you .  When I started I sawed a lot of worthless junk and then went to an old timer and watched him saw and had him explain how it's done.  Good luck, be careful.
'

'

SawyerTed

If you use a log scale and figure the log is 10' long, it will produce 100 more or less board feet of lumber.  That could be 2x dimensional lumber, it could be 2" slabs, it could be 1" boards.  It could be some side boards and a 6x6 beam/post.  Your choice!  There are lots of ways to saw a hypothetical log assuming it is straight, has small if any knots etc.

The short answer is yes the log could produce useful lumber.  Just be careful, tree service logs often are yard trees and they can have metal in them.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!