iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere Yellow. Where's the best place to get it?

Started by lovetotinker, May 02, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovetotinker

Recently bought a John Deere 440A, manufactured in 1968, I've been told. As I overhaul each part I might as well paint them as well. Anybody got an idea where to find that color yellow. And if you have a favorite parts venue for older JD's that would be appreciated too. Thanks, Bill

Oliver05262

The best thing to do is use Deere paint, along with hardener, but it's a little wasteful to paint just a few parts at a time. Probably best to prime parts as you get them ready, and finish paint in larger batches. Deere's spray paint for smaller parts will work for stuff you have to assemble  it-by-bit, but it won't have the hardener in it. Anyone else's cheap paint such as Tractor Supply is not a real good match, especially in the sunshine, and is apt to change color over time.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

ironmule2004

The main thing I would do is use an epoxy primer underneath.  I've used deere paint in the past but it seemed too thin to me.  It took a lot of paint to get the job done.  I had an industrial paint manufacturer formulate a custom match for pre 1992 jd yellow in their lab that looks identical.  I had used this brand for other projects before the past.  It is a 2 part urethane enamel. I just order it when i need it now. I do like jd spray paint.  It is very high quality for spray paint.

lovetotinker

Thanks for the input. The spray paint option sounds good for smaller parts. Was wondering if a local auto parts store would be able to match the color and durability...

Crusarius

Tractor Supply and Runnings have it on the shelf.

I am sure other farm and home stores will as well. I used the JD green and Yellow rattle cans from Tractor Supply on this...

John Deere 2010 ROPS in General Board

The paint was thin. You had to be very careful about runs. But it covered ok for what it was.

Stoneyacrefarm

I was able to buy spray cans at my local John Deere dealer. 
They worked quite well.
They also sell quarts as well. 
But make sure you bring the green because it isn't cheap.  :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mike_belben

You can buy the brush on gallon of JD colors at TSC then thin, strain and add hardener for spraying out your gun.   Ive done this with rustoleum brush on many times.  
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

I thought everyone was into powder coating  metal now.
There is more than one John Deere yellow (industrial, agricultural etc)
http://www.micronmetalfinishing.com/pdf/PPG_Preferred_Powders-Miron_Metal_Finishing_4-20-15.pdf

The nano coaters are promoting their products too, to put on top of paint.
Nanovere Technologies, LLC. Industrial Coatings | Industrial Paints And Coatings | Nanovere Technologies

Thank You Sponsors!