iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popple for timber framing

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 16, 2009, 04:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Hey guys, I had a FF member ask me if Popple in southern WI is good for timber framing.

I have never used it and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject.

Thanks.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

As long as the wood is sound (not decayed), it should be just fine for framing. Trembling aspen might be a bit on the small side to get much of a timber, and getting the quality might also be a search.
More likely, a stand of bigtooth aspen would yield more timber framing quality from what I see in southern WI. 
In general, aspen is not an important species growing here. 

And too, it depends on what is meant by "good".  There will be drying issues to consider, that could also affect the yield. But these same things apply to most species. IMO. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mad Professor

I've not framed with it, but from milling experience it tends to twist and split a lot.

maineframer

Jim,

Popple or Popluar is a very fast growing tree and quite weak.
Around here it is cut for pulp and it makes a good secondary wood for case work and cabinets.
I feel that its  lack of strength and ability to decay quickly are two good reasons not to employ it in a timber frame.
David

Jim_Rogers

Thanks to everyone for all your advice.
I'll pass it on to the timber framer next time I hear from him.

Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

The only one I've hear good things about WRT timber framing is Tulip or Yellow Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera).
I've got one growing on Dad's property in about 80 years it'll be one really nice beam.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ljmathias

Like Rapheal said- the yellow or tulip poplar is great for all kinds of things (and I used to burn em for junk when I was clearing some of the farm off): makes great siding when treated and I've used it for lots of interior and exterior projects.  Made a beam out of one and it cuts great- haven't finished putting together the workshop the beam goes into yet... maybe someday real soon, after I finish my MIL's house, get her old one ready to sell, fix up my Chinese tractor, rebuild my F100, get my old jeep started, finish clearing the land by the creek... As the saying goes, idle hands are the devil's hands, so I guess mine must be getting real religious about now.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

beenthere

I looked at this thread as pertaining to popple, not poplar.
In my little mind, popple is aspen and doesn't include yellow poplar.  ::)

Not sure that separation exists in all parts of the country(world).  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

I have  quite a bit of Aspen (big tooth) or Popple.   It works fine.  I've cut timbers, beams, and planking.   The top few rounds of my cabin which is mostly Red Pine will be completed using Popple. 

Popple if very attractive, cause it is available and free.  If I was buying the material, I might purchase something with a little more rot resistance.  I learned to take a good look at the trees before cutting them down.  If the tree has some mushroom looking fungi growing where there use to be branches, there will be nothing but heart rot running down the center.  I produced a few cords of firewood (while trying to make beams) while figuring this out.

Thank You Sponsors!