iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) jointer

Started by tyb525, February 11, 2011, 02:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

Looking at the picture of your jointer, I see a few other small items that need attention.

1. Looks like he was pretty sparce with the bolts used to hold the motor in place. I only see 1 bolt and at least 3 empty holes. Suggest you add a few more bolts.

2. I do not like the electric switch setup. Scrap the plastic box and use a metal box with a clamp fittings to clamp the in-coming and outgoing cables firmly in place so they do not come loose with vibration. In the picture you can see that the in-comining power cable is already pulling out of the box

3. Could just be the picture, or how he mounted the motor, but the drive belt looks somewhat loose. When you address the motor mounting issue, you might want to modify it using threaded rods and aircraft nuts above and below the motor mounting plate so you can adjust the motor up and down for proper belt tension. For safety sake, you might want to fabricate a guard for the drive belt as well.

4. I use silicon gun lube on my jointer and surface planer tables. Keeps them from rusting and gives good reduction in friction
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

tyb525

Fred, I was definitely going to build a whole new stand for it, as the current set-up is very cobbled together, and place a new switch somewhere ready accessible on the front.

I've heard silicone can cause fish eyes in the finish, do you have problems with that?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: isawlogs on February 11, 2011, 06:55:00 PM
Quote from: tyb525 on February 11, 2011, 02:27:33 PM
A jointer was the last "must-have" tool I needed, now I have "everything" I need ::)

Famous last words  ::) :D :D 

Are you sure those eve qualify as famous last words?

My wife's fav question is "and now you have every tool you need, right?" my answer is "I need a biggar shop!"
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: tyb525 on February 12, 2011, 01:14:09 PM
Fred, I was definitely going to build a whole new stand for it, as the current set-up is very cobbled together, and place a new switch somewhere ready accessible on the front.

I've heard silicone can cause fish eyes in the finish, do you have problems with that?

I have never had a problem with that happening. I do not put a whole lot on, and I do wipe if over once it has been applied.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Peter Drouin

A jointer was the last "must-have" tool I needed, now I have "everything" I need ::)
[/quote]

Famous last words  ::) :D :D 
[/quote]

Are you sure those eve qualify as famous last words?

My wife's fav question is "and now you have every tool you need, right?" my answer is "I need a biggar shop!"
:D :D :D :D thats a good one, :D :D more tools more tools. My wife( now what??) :D :D :D 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

metalspinner

Those rubber padded push pads have always been bothersome to me.  They are ok for holding the board down, but pushing with them never felt secure.  My leading hand usually has the rubber pad thing to push down.  My trailing hand has a wood push shoe made from a thick piece of wood stock.

Can't find the camera cable to load a pic. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

A quick question, about how fast should this cutterhead spin? Right now it's set up with a 1750 motor with a 7" pulley and a 2.5" pulley on the head. According to an online calc it spins around 4900 rpm. Is this an okay speed?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

D._Frederick

tyb

I have a 6 inch Delta that dates to WII and it has the same size pulleys, that speed cuts good with sharp knives.

You should be able to make a guard out of birch plywood to cover the cutter.

logwalker

Quote from: tyb525 on February 13, 2011, 03:30:01 PM
A quick question, about how fast should this cutterhead spin? Right now it's set up with a 1750 motor with a 7" pulley and a 2.5" pulley on the head. According to an online calc it spins around 4900 rpm. Is this an okay speed?

That might be a little fast but will give a nice cut. I will be interested in hearing from someone that knows. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: tyb525 on February 13, 2011, 03:30:01 PM

I took a look in the Grizzly catalog and their 6 inch jointers spin at 4800rpm, regardless of whether they have straight blade cutters or the spiral cut heads, so you speed looks good to me.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

tyb525

Thanks guys :) I ordered some new blades for it. Does anyone sharpen their own blades? I've had a grizzly 12 1/2" lunchbox planer for a few years with double sided blades, I've "honed" both edges twice using a flat piece of glass and a big piece of 600 grit wet/dry paper. While that works good, I'd like to see if there is a better way useing a bench grinder or something, I'd think someone one here might have a jig they made? Is it worth trying to resharpen them?

Busy Beaver Lumber

Local machine shops will usually sharpen planer blades at a fairly reasonable charge
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!