iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wheelchair motor wiring for auto feed

Started by revid, June 10, 2016, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Quote from: fishfighter on June 13, 2016, 09:59:51 AM
Piney, one day I have to drive up and see your operation. ;D
Do that. Operation isn't much for show, but I'll stop whatever I'm doing and visit anytime...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

Maybe make it a day seeing you and swing by CaseyK's mill. I got to see that beast. :D

Kbeitz

I'm betting the computer just needs to see resistance in the second line.
So a big resister should make it work with just one motor.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 14, 2016, 12:02:03 AM
I'm betting the computer just needs to see resistance in the second line.
So a big resister should make it work with just one motor.
I'm betting you are right...question is ..how much resistance.  Gut feel says a 12 volt light bulb, but I ain't saying until I get a chance to try it. Right now, the only controllers I have in the shop are off a scooter, similar, but not quite the same...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Hilltop366

I wonder if you could put a rheostat on the second line to test for the right amount of resistance?

If a rheostat is not enough could add a resistor (bulb) in line to increase, once the right amount is achieved just measure what you got and get the right size resistors.

My electronic knowledge is limited but I do have a old electric wheel chair (given to me) that I thought of using if I ever have time to make another sawmill.

Kbeitz

If I remember right one small 12v light bulb is 47 ohm.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Just hooked up some new batteries and tried the motor....You were right I must need the other motor,all I see is blinking lights! So as for reisistor your saying a light bulb like out of a vehicle signal light might work or a couple of them?

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on June 16, 2016, 06:55:45 PM
Just hooked up some new batteries and tried the motor....You were right I must need the other motor,all I see is blinking lights! So as for reisistor your saying a light bulb like out of a vehicle signal light might work or a couple of them?

Try one... Work your way up...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Which holes in the plugin ? There are four. What would the other two be for?

fishfighter

Two wires are power supplies and the two smaller wires are for the brake.

So, you will have to defeat both. The controller looks at the brake too! I tried disconnecting the brake and I kept getting the red flashing light. Hook it back up and was good to go.

revid

So I hook up a light(s) to both sets of wires to act as resistors?

fishfighter

revid

Ok had to use a sealed beam headlight for a resistor for missing motor and a signal light bulb for brake. Tried up to four signal light bulbs but no good so tried sealed beam. Motor works but I don't want to have a light all the time. What kind of real resistor could I use or make up now that I know motor/controller is good ? Any ideas?

Magicman

Measuring the resistance of the bulb should get you close, but I suspect that the bulb resistance changes when voltage is applied.  You may have to measure the current being drawn and get the resistance from that.  That will also help you to determine what wattage resistor that you need.  You will be back to Ohm's Law for your values.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Use a variable resistor and when you get it working measuring the resistance
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Measure the resistance of the motor that you are replacing, but then again, inductive resistance might be different but it should be close enough.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

revid

Ok thanks but  1 , how do I measure resistance,2 how do i measure voltage being drawn,3 where would I find a variable resister ? I know it's a lot of questions but I don't have a clue about that stuff. I got a good multimeter because someone gave it to me . Lil

Magicman

QuoteI got a good multimeter because someone gave it to me
You need "multimeter 101", and now that you need it, now is the time to learn.  I'll throw out some very basics, but my electronics school teaching days were over many years ago.   ;D

Your meter should have an R1, R10, R1K, etc. knob positions.  This simply means to take the number read on your meter's resistance scale and multiply that number by whatever value that your knob is on ie; X1, X10, etc. to find the resistor's value.  Having several resistors of known value to practice on will help.

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on June 18, 2016, 09:34:39 PM
Ok thanks but  1 , how do I measure resistance,2 how do i measure voltage being drawn,3 where would I find a variable resister ? I know it's a lot of questions but I don't have a clue about that stuff. I got a good multimeter because someone gave it to me . Lil

Search E-bay for....

High Power Wirewound Potentiometer, Rheostat, Variable Resistor
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

Seems like it'd be easier to just put a cover over the light bulbs. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

fishfighter

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 19, 2016, 08:31:09 AM
Seems like it'd be easier to just put a cover over the light bulbs. :laugh:

And leave it uncovered in the winter. :D

revid

well I figured the lights would kill my batteries quicker and I rather not have all that in my setup? Been looking on ebay and in what range of watts and ohms should I be looking for in a rheostat or pot? Is there any other used sources of resistors ? I have no prob with buying of ebay but it takes a month and a day to get to me.. I thought I might be able to rob one of a car or something like that,lol.

Hilltop366

A multi speed heater fan switch is the only place on a car that comes to mind.

Question, does the controller only check for the second motor and brake when powered up only or does it check all along while in use, if only at startup then perhaps you could put a switch on the lights to just use at startup.

Ga Mtn Man

A light bulb or equivalent resistor will use the same amount of power. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

The very cheapest and easy way would be to buy a few feet of nickel resistance wire.
Fasten one end of your wires to the end of the nickel resistance wire and the other controller
wire to the other end. Move your controller wire down the nickel resistance wire until you got it working.
That will be your resister. Wind it up on a chunk of insulator like a chunk of glass.
This is a homemade resister. An old toaster has the nickel resistance wire inside
for the element or any electric heater. You could also  grab a 10K resistor, connect wire in series,
and mesure along it untill You find the vaule You need. Then cut, solder, and be happy.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!