iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ugly logs

Started by Magicman, April 14, 2011, 10:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Spoken like a true magician  :)

Magicman

Over the phone she said three nice Oak logs.  :)   When I got there   ???   There were more than three and nice?   

The forky top cut on the right and the long log have metal, big time.   :-\

I'll saw the two on the left after everything else is moved away.  She actually had one log.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

The site looked better this morning.  The uglys had been moved and the two logs were ready to saw.

This was actually a "do good" job where no money changed hands.  A tornado came through a few weeks ago and downed the trees and the lady wanted the Red Oak logs sawn into 8/4 X 6's.  Her husband is wheelchair bound and she wants to build a table that will be accessible to him.  That is reason enough for me.   :)  Some folks just need help.

The uglys have been moved and the two good logs are ready to saw.

8/4X6's ready to sticker.

Some of the tornado damage.  Those tall stumps stood back up when the tops were sawed off.  Dangerous stuff.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Good on ya, MM.

There are a whack of trees down in the South after yesterday, thousands of trees.  What an amazing and dangerous piece of weather.  Some folks lost everything, some even their lives.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Very nice-looking stack of wood you ended up with. She'll have enough wood to build a dining room table and then some :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

I just hate that it was Water Oak and not Cherrybark.  She will have to pick through to find enough clear boards.  Of course she has the option of ripping.

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2011, 01:45:15 PM
I just hate that it was Water Oak and not Cherrybark. 

That is a little like saying, "I wish that I did not have to eat this rump roast.  I wish that I could have tenderloin."  :).

I have cut some very fine oak lumber from water oak.  Cutting Cherrybark is sure like eating high on the hog, though.  ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Knots aren't always bad 8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I was hating it for her sake.  I really wanted her to have some good quality Oak lumber.  Most of the knots were loose.   :-\

Dodgy Loner

The clearest, widest, reddest red oak I have ever sawed was a water oak. It was a bit of an anomaly but I didn't complain! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

This will be stickered in a barn until next year when she plans to build the table.  I still hope that she builds it in the dining room because that will be one heavy table.    ;)

Thank You Sponsors!