iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading ?

Started by Bruno of NH, September 24, 2020, 03:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Do you help customers load their cars or suv' s?
My famous hired man helped load a 12' x 28" pine slab today out back.
When the kid came to pay me at the mill he acted funny.
When he left my hired man asked me if the kid told me about the windshield. 
I said no . My man said the kid broke it.
I don't belive my hired man.
He was on the pushing end.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

The short answer is no.  Never. If you do and break something, or tear up the upholstery, or whatever, you'll have to pay for it if the customer insists, unless you have it on the security camera and can prove you didn't do it. 

Also, if the load falls out in the road and kills someone, you will be liable because you were the "professional" and the customer just did what you suggested.  So it wasn't his fault, it was yours.  

One the other hand, the long answer yes, I do occasionally to help the old or infirm, but only if it's done correctly.  The idiots, no.  

I had a lady ask me to load some wood in her snow leopard white leather Tesla, and when I refused, she said it was OK because it was her husband's car and the they were getting divorced anyway.  Hoo boy.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Davek603

Nope, people do stupid things. They put loads on that don't belong. They don't tie down right, the list goes on. I tell em it's just like Home Depot, load yourself. No way do I need someone coming back blaming me. You wouldn't believe loads that have left my yard!
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

WV Sawmiller

I'd call the kid if it was me and ask him if my guy was pushing the board. If he said my guy was pushing I'd buy him a new windshield. If the kid was pushing I'd say he was responsible.

I do help my customers slide boards off my tractor or atv on to their truck or SUV bed. I also will cut the boards or slabs to shorter length on my RAS if it is too long for their bed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My first year of sawing I sold lumber.  During that short time I watched lumber being hauled in about every way imaginable including one time the lumber was passed through the rear sliding window and was resting on the dashboard.  ::)  Another time it was passed under the truck and tied to the bumpers as well as whatever they to tie it to underneath the truck.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Yeah, avoid it if at all possible.  I get scared when giving away firewood  and loading their trailer with the skid steer.  If I damage something, they'll expect me to pay for it, despite the fact that I'm not charging them for wood.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 24, 2020, 09:32:08 PMIf he said my guy was pushing I'd buy him a new windshield

Yup - with money I held back from the hired mans check at this point.  Then send the hired man packing for lying to me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

The hired man is on his way out.
I have a plan in place for replacement. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Good For you Bruno. You have patiently put up with a lot of stuff he did. New start for you and maybe he will learn the hard way from the experience 

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside on September 24, 2020, 10:53:38 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 24, 2020, 09:32:08 PMIf he said my guy was pushing I'd buy him a new windshield
Yup - with money I held back from the hired mans check at this point.  Then send the hired man packing for lying to me.  
The only issue here is you'd have a "he said-she said" situation unless there are other witnesses. I'd give the customer the benefit of the doubt to the tune of a new windshield but not to the point of withholding pay or firing.

If you plan to replace the guy for other reasons go ahead but I'd want more than this incident to fire him without positive proof he is lying which looks hard to get.

Hey, buts that just me. You do what you feel is right.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 24, 2020, 03:49:31 PMWhen the kid came to pay me at the mill he acted funny. When he left my hired man asked me if the kid told me about the windshield. I said no . My man said the kid broke it.
At this point there is no reason to blame the hired man except suspicion.  He is the one that brought the matter to you, not the kid.  They could have switched ends while loading that particular board.  If it indeed was the hired man, surely the customer will contact you and I would be inclined to leave the matter alone until then.

None of this should have any effect on whether the hired man stays or leaves unless you find out that he lied.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

sounds like the customer was acting strange, so he may be upset but not the type to say anything.  but he may go around and tell other you broke his windshield.  I would be tempted to contact them and tell them you were made aware of it.  he may say it was all his fault.  he may reveal something else.  It does sound like it is time to have a sit down with you employee.  I do something similar.  I do not nickel and dime folks, as we get a percentage of complaints from some people impossible to make happy.  but if I keep hearing the same complaints, and the individual makes excuses, it is time for a sit down.  If the customer sounds upset you have the option to pay for the windshield, and change the story that they tell others.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

My thoughts are as Doc describes - I don't want a customer leaving with ill will and spreading it to others. I would want to put the issue to bed.

I'm tolerant (Gullible?) enough not to fire an employee for unsubstantiated claims. I'd have thought the customer would have come to me immediately if he felt my guy was responsible. 
Howard Green

Magicman

Yes I agree with Doc's response, and I also would reach out to the customer.

I was taking it as the kid was the customer's hired man, not the actual customer.  If that was the case, then I figured that the customer would contact Bruno.  I agree that an unhappy customer is a bad reference and very unlikely to be a repeat customer.

Southside

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 24, 2020, 03:49:31 PMI don't belive my hired man

This is the root of the problem here. Bruno has good reason to feel this way given multiple prior incidents.  It really does not matter who did what to the windshield, but when you can't trust people working for you there is a serious issue.  

Have not mentioned it here but a couple local members know about an incident that happened earlier this week.   A guy I know was doing some work with me on the farming side of things for some hay on shares.  He took my tedder to go work a field - all fine at that point.  But then he gave the tractor and tedder to his hired man, whom is a lot like Brunos from the description, something I did not know, have actually mentioned before I would not allow, and was anything but fine.  Within 1/2 hour the guy had totaled the tedder.  Actually didn't stop until his boss heard some bad noises and told him to stop.  Now this is a 2 week old machine, with 50 acres on it.  The hired man stood right there and said nothing happened, he didn't notice anything, but it was making noise at some point, must be a defective machine.  When you look at the damage it's clear that is a bald faced lie.  So now "we" have a problem, and I am left dealing with the mess.  

Point - if you can't trust people working with you then they need to go.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I don't think any of us disagree the hired guy should go because of loss of confidence/trust in him. Justification enough. 

The issue is do you replace the windshield? If any indication he broke the windshield I'd pay for it as a good will gesture - regardless of whether I intended to retain the employee.

I guess I am going to quit moaning about working alone so much of the time. :D
Howard Green

K-Guy

This is always the problem when you have employees. I imagine a similar conversation took place many times during the building of the pyramids.  ::)
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Jim_Rogers

I had a conversation with my wife about me borrowing her son's riding lawn mower to do our vacate lot. I told her I would not even think of asking to borrow a tool, like that, from anyone.
I would not ever lend a tool like that to anyone, I'd do the job for them myself with my machine before I'd lend it out.
I learned that lesson many years ago, loaning out a hand tool to another student at a timber framing course in Maine.
I asked him for my tool back and he had loaned it out to another student and he didn't even know who had it.
I was very upset and decided right there and then to never loan out tools ever again.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LogPup

I was an O/O in the moving business for 35 years. If I broke something first thing let the claims dept know if I couldn't fix it. Second thing show the customer what you did and let them know it was being handled. They might not be happy but the would be more upset if you tried to hide it.

trimguy

I am responsible for my employees actions while at work . If they mess something up or do something wrong , I'm responsible to fix it , or replace it. I would talk to the customer. I know you have other reasons to let this employee go, but I can't stand a liar !!! If they lie they will steal.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: K-Guy on September 25, 2020, 10:14:08 AM

This is always the problem when you have employees. I imagine a similar conversation took place many times during the building of the pyramids.  ::)
Somebody's ancestors did that, stacked um n left um.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 25, 2020, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: K-Guy on September 25, 2020, 10:14:08 AM

This is always the problem when you have employees. I imagine a similar conversation took place many times during the building of the pyramids.  ::)
Somebody's ancestors did that, stacked um n left um.  :D
:D

Thank You Sponsors!