iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Once in a while even a blind PIG will find a acorn tree with alternate compound leaves with leaflets in fives (sometimes seven) and a smooth rachis and interlacing bark ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

John and I will probably end up sawing this one.  It is still alive but I suspect it will not be very long as it has ambrosia beetle dust collecting at the base of the tree and in the lower bark. 
Caveman

WDH

Get you some 4° bands :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That stuff is the smiley_devil to saw but beautiful wood.  I was first initiated with it many years ago when a friend gave me a tree for firewood.  Yup, I was young and I did split it but I didn't want any more.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

The easiest way for me to id these is the huge leaves.  8-12" long.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Can't believe you posted that photo knowing poor WDH would have to see it!  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

I've got more of those than I want. As far as I'm concerned, it's an invasive species!
HM126

caveman

The prettiest cabinets I've ever seen were made from wood from this genus of tree.  
Caveman

caveman

The tree today was Pignut Hickory (Carya glabra). 

Have any of you had any success sawing hickory with turbo 7's?  I looked through all of our blades today and all I saw was 7's and 4's.  We had really good results with the 4's sawing everything from cedar to live oak on the lt-28, but they went with it.
Caveman

Southside

Yes I have sawn Hickory with my 35 using Turbos. Have some to get to in the next week or so and will use either Turbos or 7/40's on the 70 for those logs. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Thanks, Southside.  

When taking pictures of the hickory the other day I noticed the Laurel Cherry trees were fruiting.  That was the tree of the day from June 24 if I recollect.

You may recognize another tree of the day in the background.  The cabbage palms were making their way in to pictures all over that day.
Caveman

caveman

July 1, tree of the day is ...

Sorry about the low quality pics on this one.  There were no needles low enough for me to reach.  This was in someone's yard.  It is not native to the U.S.  Magicman posted a close up of the needles in March of 2016, maybe he'll add it here.
Caveman

Magicman

Oh my, hopefully this it:

Da trees.

Da needles.

Bonus points for da Rooster.  You see dem spurs?  I'd hate to cook dat rascal.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Makes me think of the Islands.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ESFted

Makes me wanna take a NIP.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

doc henderson

a little spanish moss in the pic???
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Definitely doesn't grow around us NORthern FOLK.  It's a popular thing to buy at Christmas with red bows on it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Actually I'd COOK up a different ID to that one.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Norfolk Pine or Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) was the tree of the day today.  Beenthere and others recognized it.  I have never sawn it but I have heard that wood turners like it .  This species has whorls of branches similar to white pines and monkey puzzle trees.
Caveman

Ianab

I was thinking Cook Pine from MM's picture. Closely related, but a much more slender form. Norfolk Pines have a more pyramid shape with much larger lower branches.  Araucaria columnaris.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

btulloh

I've never seen a large one, only potted versions. Here's a bowl turned from a nip whirl.

HM126

btulloh

This was given to me. Not my work. Whoever turned it knew what they were doing.
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: caveman on July 01, 2019, 12:14:14 AMMagicman posted a close up of the needles in March of 2016, maybe he'll add it here.
I only posted those pictures because.......

caveman

Ian, after looking up a Cook Pine, I think that may have been what Magicman's pictures were of.  I am fairly certain that the poor pictures that I posted were of a Norfolk Island Pine.  I ride by them every day but rarely have or take the opportunity to get up close to them as they are just used as an ornamental, but not in my backyard.  

Doc, I did not even notice the Spanish moss until you pointed it out.  

If you look in the background and foreground of some of today's pictures you will see several other trees that have already had their days.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!