iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

KEC

My 2 cents: the photos look more like walnut than butternut. Butternut bark is gray.

Southside

Does Butternut have the aborted terminal leaf? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Direct any disagreement to @WDH   :D

Jeff

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Don P

I was all the way over to trying to force this into being a blue ash ::)

Black walnut aborts the terminal leaflet;
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=32
Butternut has a terminal leaflet;
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=31

I planed a couple of butternut boards today, it has a distinctive light smell that takes me back to my early teens, smell is a good bit of wood id for me. Dad had paneled a house with it and brought home some scraps for me to play with. I had a scrollsaw and lathe other than the usual tools and remember making a radio box out of some of it but ended up doing chip and relief carving on a good bit of it just messing around.

firefighter ontheside

Well, I'll post something for today.  I used to have two of these but one died.  I'm guessing they don't thrive here in muggy Missouri.  This one is about 20 feet tall.  When I went to take pictures of it, I noticed it has produced cones for the first time.  The needles that I looked at are in groups of two, but can also be in groups of three.  I'm afraid this one is gonna die too, but for now it's tree of the day.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Roxie

Say when

firefighter ontheside

Nope.  It's more western.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

scotch, we planted a bunch of those years ago, but, hey, my guess.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

It's a native, western North American pine species.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Well, my book says with three needles, it is either  Ponderosa (but doesn't look like my 'rosa) or Jeffrey.  With two needles, then Bishop.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WDH on August 23, 2019, 09:04:00 PM
Lodgepole pine.
???
Lodgepole is supposed to have needles that are shorter (according to my book) and twisted.  They are curved in the pics but don't look twisted.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

I'm gonna give it to John.  It is ponderosa.  I believe this tree has a needle disease that has caused the needles to be curved.  According to my book, it shouldn't kill the tree, but it's not looking the best.  I bought two at a local farm and home store about 10 years ago that were about 2 feet tall. They both thrived for a while, but then the other started to be sparsely needled and now has died.

Apparently ponderosa was once known as "western yellow pine".
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

After Red Pine was ruled out, I was going to suggest it might be Ponderosa but VT says Ponderosa should have three and sometimes two needles per fascicle(every time I think, the other team scores).  I have never seen one in real life.  Pinus ponderosa, thanks for keeping this thing going and heading west with it.  Maybe we will get some more western trees included soon.  

Bonanza, John.  Post some left coast trees for us to try to i.d.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

OK, Its tomorrow for you guys back east.  If you follow my cabin thread you probably already know what this is.  I don't have any close ups of the needles.  They are flat and form flattened branches.  Here is one of several big ones.

What big ones look like from a distance.  They seem to get some sort of mistletoe way up. The one dead center way back:

A nice shot before I cut this one down:

A little closer:

Specifically, which one of this family?
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, no takers yet or is it the ones that are sure are letting others guess first?

The wood is not red.  The older heartwood is medium brown while the outer wood is nearly white but turns yellow in the sun.  A very distinctive smell that will take you back to your childhood school days - well, if you are as old as me. ;)
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Two wrong guesses via PMs - it is NOT Western Red Cedar.
John Sawicky

DelawhereJoe

California incense cedar, Calocedrus decurrens
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ljohnsaw

Winner, winner, chicken dinner...

Though my book "Pacific Coast Tree Finder" field guide gives it a different name.  Libocedrus decurrens.  Incense Cedar is the only cedar that is fairly wide spread in Northern California.

Western Red is only in a sliver on the extreme north coast of California but quite an area of western Oregon and Washington (western slope of the Cascades?) and western Idaho (western slope of the Rockies?).
John Sawicky

Roxie

Are the trunks always that straight?  Very impressive trees. 
Say when

Ljohnsaw

When they are on the flat, they grow straight.  On a hill side, they have a pretty good sweep.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!