iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table and chairs

Started by pigman, December 14, 2019, 09:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

40" X 74" table, five chairs and 72" bench I built for my daughter"s family. The top of table, bench and chair seats are walnut. The base of table, bench and chair frames are ash.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

samandothers

Great job!  I know she is a happy camper.  Those woods look great together!

pigman

Senility strikes again. I don't know how I got two of the same picture in the post.

thecfarm

Modify it quick before anyone else sees it.  :D  They all look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I agree the light ash and the dark walnut really go well together. Nice looking workmanship. I am envious.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

Great work!
So, quick question . . . what took more work/time/head scratching - the table or the chairs?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

The chairs were the hardest for me. Even though they are a very simple design, I was concerned if the angle of the back was correct. I had built a trestle table 19 years ago from a plan in a magazine that was of a similar design. The table was heavy for an old man to move around while building.

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Old Greenhorn

Beautiful work! I love the contrast you've set up with the two woods, I wish we had some walnut available around here (it's all tied up in the 'very valuable tree' market).
  Chairs like that scare me. I would love to see a detail shot of how you did the leg corners. 
 Nice job!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Now that is fine.  Very impresse3d with the chairs.  I made one of those duplicate pics disappear.  Never tried to make chairs like that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Nice work! Building chairs can be a humbling experience.

Dan_Shade

What finish did you use? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

I just brushed on two coats of poly. The chair legs are attached with mortice and tendon joints. I hope the glue joints hold on the chair legs since they do not have any lower braces.

Bill Gaiche

Very nice job you did there. I see that our game of stacking little sticks at the Pig Roast has paid off. Your daughter will be very proud. Keep up the good work....bg

Stephen1

Some great craftsmenship there! I bet your daughter is happy!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

JV

I love them.  Great job!  The tusk tenons on the stretchers really add detail.  Now if I could find some ambition.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Brad_bb

Very nice work pigman!  I haven't seen you posting for awhile.  Must be because you were too busy building!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Excellent work and design!!!!!!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Building a chair has always seemed to be the ultimate in craftsmanship.
- It has to be comfortable, so that you can make it through a dinner with "those" relatives.
- It has to be light, so that a seven year old can move it closer to the cookie jar.
- It has to be good looking, . . . well, ok, a bit better than Fred Flintstone's furniture.
- It has to be strong, so that it'll stand up to a hulking teenager that has a habit of tipping the chair onto its back legs. 
Sounds like Mission Impossible, which is why I haven't given it a shot. 
Yet.
I may get enough courage soon, and try to keep up with guys like Pigman.
Well done, sir.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

pigman

Andries, I am not sure that I have met all of your criteria for a good chair. I did tell my daughter that if any of the chairs break, I would give all of the money back she paid me. ;)

Roxie

That is beautiful!  Love the combination of ash and walnut. Well done, Dad! 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!