iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The female bluebird just arrived with the male after he was gone for 3 days. Musta been looking for a woman. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

We got 3 refugees (Granddaughters) yesterday for a few days while DIL having kidney stones removed. It was a beautiful day so I told them if they'd pick up some sticks on the lot we'd cook some hotdogs and SMORES so they got busy. I went in my boathouse next to the picnic area to get the hotdog forks and spotted debris sticking out of a plastic bag of cleaning supplies.

Turns out a little wren or such decided this was a good place to build a nest. I showed the girls then went out today with the camera and checked more closely.

There were no eggs or chicks so I took the nest out. Either they already raised, could have even been last year, or had not gotten a chance to lay yet. I went ahead and removed the nest to help reduce the chance of bird mites in the shed. I am too late on a robin's nest overhead and will have to wait a few more weeks till the baby birds get grown and leave it. 

Here I have been spending time and effort building nesting boxes and all I really needed to do was hang some plastic bags in the shed. ::)

Several months after we moved here an old USMC buddy and family stopped by and gave us a hanging plant as a housewarming present. I screwed a hook into a convenient 2X6 over the porch railing and we hung the plant and stepped back to survey our workmanship. I swear the plant was still swinging when a little brown wren flew in with the first stick and by the end of the next day she had completed the nest and laid a clutch of eggs. She had to have been watching us hang that basket and was just waiting for us to get out of her way to start building.

I have a neighbor who said she'd hang jeans on the line then when dry she'd take them down and kept finding little sticks in them and could not figure what was going on till finally she spotted a wren building a nest in the legs of the hanging wet clothes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Looks like a pheobe nest, looks like moss and grass I seen them use here. But they usually nest on ledges like robins, in under decks and such I think

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

WV Sawmiller, I'd say the nest in the plastic bag is probably that of Carolina Wren. I'll try to put photos of a Carolina Wren nest that was up under my porch roof a few years ago.

WDH

I have one nesting in my planer room.  Cool little birds. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

@KEC  & @WDH ,

That is what I am thinking too. That was the one that built the nest in the hanging plant I mentioned and they are notorious for building in such places. One built in a old plastic bump hat/helmet my dad had when we were kids. I have them visit me in my shooting houses when hunting. I have had the light on my hat, shoes, rifle and even an arrow I had in my bow one time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

There was a nest in the tractor shed, forgot what kind, but I would check on the babies each time I went to get the tractor. This was the same time I was building the women cave, only about 100 feet away. One day I was nailing the floor down, on my hands and knees. All at once a bird flew right in front of my face. Odd I thought. Than the light bulb went off. I walked right along to the tractor shed. Reached up and all was gone. Mama kicked them out!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

have seen a few oriels flaying around.  got my wife's feeder spruced up and hung.

grape jelly. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Been seeing some Golden-crowned Kinglets out in the spruce woods.

Golden-crowned Kinglet Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

51cub

This isn't today,s snow. The picture is about a week and a half old. The one next to the truck was in the same spot for about 5 hrs. He spent half the time admiring himself in the bumper and the other half pecking at himself

I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

KEC

I was out looking for and at birds yesterday (5-9-20) and looked into a water filled ditch and noticed some movement. It was a Star-nosed Mole swimming around underwater and at the surface foraging for food. Of course my camera was back in my pickup.

WV Sawmiller

We spotted this guy a couple times today. Mostly the pair of them have been bouncing from post to post on my pasture fence. I tried to get a picture of this one on the post with my new bluebird nest box but he moved before I got my camera ready. I love to watch them.

I like it when I catch them on the ground on a root or old post or log like he is doing inmost of the pictures here.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

Sometime last night one of the pheobes passed away from exposure, he was dead under the porch and he wasn't there before dark. Late spring snow does a few little birds in. We had 8" over the weekend.

Chuck White

Seen a bunch of Rose Breasted Grossbeaks and Goldfinches, along with the regular Chickadees in the feeder today.

Haven't seen the Tufted Titmouse in a few days, that's a cool looking bird!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Over the last week I put out 3 nesting boxes for eastern bluebirds which I have started seeing in the area recently. Today my wife noticed a pair of bluebirds entering and exiting the box closest to the front of our house. Hopefully they will start using the other two also but this is very rewarding to see.

Hard to see with my little point and shoot camera but the little spot of blue and russet and gray on the limb almost directly over the top of nest box is one of the pair.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen any around here since the snow last week. Been tree swallows around the boxes.

KEC

Both bluebird nests in the boxes near my house failed during the recent cold and snow spell. They will try again. The Tufted Titmouse nest in a box in my yard has birds incubating 6 eggs. I have photos on back order for Swamp Donkey.

WV Sawmiller

Took a few pictures of my bluebirds building their nest in my new box. They are pretty frantic to get it finished and sometimes one bird will be roosting on the roof waiting for the mate to get out of the way. They have been carrying small sticks but in the pictures below one was carrying a good sized leaf so it sounds like they must be getting pretty far along and ready to start lining the nest with bedding materials.

Perched on the limb overhead with nesting material in his/her beak

Taking aim

Entry w/nest material

Load dumped - exiting the home

Resting on a nearby locust limb to catch his/her breath and check out the nosy neighbor with the camera

I don't know enough about bluebirds yet to be able to tell which is the rooster and which is the hen. I assume birds are like humans and the male is the more brightly colored and attractive of the pair while the female is more drab and mousy.  :D
Howard Green

Magicman

Here is your sign:

You can resume posting when the swelling around your eyes goes down.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

We have several pairs of Bluebirds and Tree Swallows occupying the birdhouses we have around the yard!

Yesterday we had a Baltimore Oriole buzz past the back window, so I put up a 1/2 orange on the nail and early this morning there was one out there feeding, and has made many return trips in the last few hours!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I saw the brown thrasher appear this morning when I was gardening. We are just at the edge of their range here.

Have not seen the blue birds today, just the tree swallows at the boxes.

SwampDonkey

Well, I had an afternoon nap after all the gardening got done for this week. Went out on the porch and no sooner than it took to sit on my rocking chair I first heard then saw the pair of blue birds return. :)

Ianab

Went out with Taylor after school and found this little guy. 

Fantails are hyperactive little birds, constantly chasing insects on the wing, and they never sit still long enough to get a good photo.  :D

They are normally grey and black, a pure White one is very unusual (I've never seen one before). It's not albino as it's eyes and beak are black.   
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Neat find Ian. He sounds kind of like our kingfishers in respect to hard to get him to sit long enough for a picture. Several years ago a neighbor saw us in our local hardware store and got excited when he remembered my wife was a photographer. He had a white robin hanging out at his place and he told us and asked her to take his picture. We stopped by several times and she got pictures of him. The best was him in a white barked sycamore, with a wild grapevine with yellow Fall leaves and eating purple grapes. She printed our neighbor an 8X10 photo and he liked it better than gold I believe. For months after that we'd run into people telling us about David coming by showing off his picture. The white robin came back for about 2-3 more years which amazed me that he even lived that long.
Howard Green

doc henderson

@WV Sawmiller , can you post the pic?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!