iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The color green (black walnut)

Started by KnotBB, April 04, 2008, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnotBB

Has anybody ever had Black Walnut look green when they cut it?  Would anybody know why it would be green?

Just cut my first black walnuts and they both had green color that faded out within 24 hours when air dried.

The first fresh cut tree looked like oxidized copper.
The second log had been stored in a barn for 2-3 years and was more of a moss green with yellowish streaks.

Color went out of the second one in about two hours.

Stevem
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

mike_van

I've seen that too - First one I ever cut was so green, I thought it was a locust - The smell gives it away though.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Fla._Deadheader

You may not believe it, but, Mahogany is off white when first opened up.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, here's some cherry.

::) 8) 8) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Grawulf

And red elm is orange  :) Walnut is green even after sitting 8 - 10 years in the log

Ron Wenrich

I had some pine that was white when I first cut it, but later turned blue.  But, I don't think its quite the same thing.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I've seen butternut an olive green, but it turns brown with gray streaks into it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stumpy

I saw oak that was bright lavender when I saw it.  NOT REALLY, I just wanted to be one of the gang! :D
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

Here's MY back up  ::) ::)  ;D ;D ;D

As you can see, it's starting to darken, now that it's exposed to air.  8) 8) :D

First, it is ridiculed;

ohsoloco

All the walnut I've cut has been an olive green when cut.  That fades to purplish-brown, sometimes in just a few minutes.  Take a fresh cut walnut board and cover part of it up. After an hour or two uncover it and see how dramatic of a difference there is   :P

Dave Shepard

FDH, what is that, an old Trojan loader? I know someone who has a twin to that, he has a mill and should join here, but I haven't been able to twist his arm enough, yet. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!