iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying cedar for the first time

Started by Mfrost459, June 19, 2020, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfrost459

I have some cedar that was cut down a couple of months ago. It has been air drying and the MC is down to 15%. Have never dried this before, I don't think it will take much to get it dry. Just don't want to take it down too fast. It will be dried in a 20 ft container kiln with a Nyle L53 unit and we also use a Nyle booster heater to get the temp up quicker when it needs a boost.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

doc henderson

ERC is easy enough to dry and will make you look like a pro.  enjoy it!  and welcome to the forum.  @WDH @YellowHammer @Southside 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I would set the dry bulb at 120, wet bulb at 75, and final moisture at 10, then let her rip. Finish off with a HT cycle, 160/75/3 and it should be in the 7 - 8% range when done. ERC is very forgiving. You won't have any danger starting at 15%.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Cedar is pretty easy as SS says.  There is one little gotcha with it.  If you dry 8/4 or thicker too fast, it will stress the white portions of the board and cause checking.  It won't hurt the red sections, but will cause damage to the white wood.  

At 15%, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is always a good idea with cedar to ramp up the temps moderately. which the L53 will do on its own.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mfrost459

Southside could you explain what you mean by 160/75/3. I am supposing this may mean dry bulb at 160 wet bulb 75 for 3 day. This would sanitize wood and set pitch. Not sure if this is what you meant. 

Southside

On my 200 I can set the dry bulb, wet bulb, and final moisture limits, I am presuming you have a similar capacity with the 53. 

So what I was saying is for the heat treat cycle set the dry bulb to 160, the wet bulb to 75 and the final moisture to 3%. When you get to 160F actual temperature leave it there for 24 hours and you will have sanitized lumber. 

I then leave the lumber in the kiln to cool down to ambient temperature before I remove it which allows it to settle back in and reduces movement. 

The HT cycle will remove 1 - 2 more points of moisture so plan that during your drying cycle. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mfrost459

Thanks for the explanation. I thought the first two were dry bulb and wet build. These can be set on my L53, just don't have a setting for final MC @ 3 %.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you want good aroma, then dry no hotter than 80 to 85 F.  A heated room style drying is often better than a regular kiln. We 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!