iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ant colony

Started by sawdust, June 21, 2010, 12:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

We are having a problem with ants, each year a little worse. Anybody know how far down the Queen ant resides? I have tried pouring boiling water down the center of the "house" with limited success. I have access to propane and am going to build a wand that I can insert into the ground and see if I can freeze the colony with liquid.

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

asy

What kind of ants are they? we have real problems with bullants on our farm, we have a "nest" that's about 15ft diameter, not above ground, though, but with lots of holes, the ground looks like swiss cheese!

Andrew's tried lots of remedies, I'll ask him what he's found works best...

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Tom

An Insecticide, like Amdro, is the best for most ants.  It's gained popularity in the Southeast USA for combating Fire Ants.  It is applied to the mound carefully, without disrupting it, and the ants take it to the queen (s).  It is fairly slow but kills the colony.   Fire, etc. does nothing but irritate the ants close to the openings on the mound. If a petroleum product would work at all, it would be gasoline put on the mound and not lit.  The fumes might go deep into the mound, but may also just cause the ants to move.  The heat from a fire only draws the fumes to the open, leaving the ants free of irritants.

If you don't wish to use a bait, you can water a dose of Sevin deep into the mound.

An aromatic, like cedar sawdust, can make a mound move too. Just dump a bunch on top of it.

A lot depends on the type of ant you are fighting.
Those methods you are trying will all probably prove to be ineffective.

Dan_Shade

I saw an article in farm show magazine about a steam wand to kill ants.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

Recently a friend of mine recommended the Terro brand of ant baits.  I have found them to be effective.  For the outside, this is the one I use:  http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=outdoor_ant_bait

For the inside, we use:  http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=liquid_ant_bait or http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=liquid_ant_killer on a price of paper towel.

Bruce

IMERC

feed them raw grits....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

metalspinner

Or, you can pour molten aluminum down the opening like this... :D

This display is the the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC.  It is from a fire ant mound in Florida.  If I remember correctly, this is a relatively small mound, but it gives you an idea of what you are up against.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawdust

Ask and you shall receive! Thank you all!
I have no idea what kind of ants they are 3/8 of an inch long. Black and not real patient being measured.  :D The mounds are only one inch tall and maybe ten inches across. Joan is not enthused about poison that was why I wanted to try freezing them with liquid propane. Not because it is a hydrocarbon but because I can get it free and it is cold. I can get liquid CO2 as well but it is harder to handle.
The casting of the nest was interesting, I hope mine is not that deep.
With luck my stainless "wand" will be finished tomorrow and I can give it a try.
My propane has no odor a good thing and a bad thing.

sawdust

Raider Bill

We get Pharoh ants around here. I spray Termidor around the nests that seems to fix the issue.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Metalspinner, that is the most dramtic display of "what you're up against" that I could imagine.  Wow!   :o

We use Terex, just like Submarinesailor suggested.  Their products are very effective. 
Say when

Tom

Quote from: sawdust on June 21, 2010, 09:09:02 AM
Joan is not enthused about poison...

Not that it is any of my business, but I was curious about the aversion to using an insecticide. :)

sawdust

Tom, you are married. Just never ask why, rational has nothing to do with emotional topics.

david

Magicman

And liquid propane is not poisonous?   I would listen to Tom.  Amdro.  A tablespoon full scattered around and the workers carry it down into the mound.  It's simple and it works.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I've found that amdro mostly only works with fire ants which is why I use the termidor. I spray a ring around the mound then they track it back into the mound killing everybody!

Local guy here says corn meal works too but I've never tried that.

Grits would sure work but I believe they are harmful to humans ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

if they are fire ants i feel that one good dose of them and joan would be more than ready for some insecticide. ;D

SPIKER

Hey feeding them things gritts will get PETA on you right away that is cruel & unusual punishment!  lol

Not sure about the propane it should work to displace the O2 and kill em off on top of freezing em up some.  just dont get too much in there if there is a flame close by.  propane is heavier than air so it should sink to bottom near queen?

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

ScottAR

Inside, we use the combat brand ant baits.  they also work on most concrete type surfaces
such as the garage or porch.  It's a little hockey puck of a thing, just set em out in their paths
and they take it back to the mound.  I've never had too much problem on the outside
but I imagine termidor would work great...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!