iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lead Times on New Saw Mills

Started by widetrackman, December 30, 2020, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Today paid for my WM LT35 HD and confirmed my delivery date of Jan 12 2021 that was ordered on Oct 31 2020, lead time 10 weeks. Guy at WM said if I ordered one today it would be 24 weeks :o. This is CRAZZZY. Do not know what lead times other brand of Mills have. Info for what its worth

Maine Miller

Winter is just setting in here, and since I don't have a saw shed built yet, it will be close to that before I can use mine again. :-\

Southside

Want to know the lead time on lumber or beef? It's everywhere. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mfrost459

I wanted to up date our mill this year but the lead time was too long. Needed to do it before year end for taxes. I checked in October too, and they couldn't deliver until late January. It would have been nice to have an LT50 under the Christmas tree. Guess we will have to wait. 
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

SawyerTed

Everything seems to take more lead time now.  I ordered some treated lumber in May.  It was delivered in September.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

CHill8903

Yes the Baker edger I ordered at Thanksgiving is scheduled for end of February/beginning of March, and Cooks was running close to the same lead time, so it seems to be across the board. 

Larry

I shopped a new TK-2000 a few months ago and I think they said 9 weeks lead time.

Might be a bonus for folks that already own a mill and thinking about an upgrade.  The guys at TK said the long lead times are keeping the prices of good used mills close to the price of a new one.  Wouldn't take much cash for me to upgrade, but I'm sorta attached to the old one.  I've made so many tweaks on it to improve production.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

trapper

not just with sawmills postal service also  orderd a flashlight and company put it in the mail december 6  acording to tracking i should get it tomorrow.  This is from 2 states away.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Walnut Beast

Crazy it is. I don't know where all the money 💰 is coming from 😂. Machines are the same. When I locked in on one they were down to one. If I wouldn't have got something going on that one it would be March or later before dealer sees more. The factory even increased production 30%

jcrumley

A friend of mine ordered a  LX25 Saturday.  Woodmizer in Georiga told him it will be May before it gets here.  Funny thing is, there were several pallets of them sitting in the shop.  My buddy asked about them and the guy said they were waiting on pick up.  He said some people don't pick them up for months and one guy waited a year to come pick it up.  I guess some people make a rush decision and a couple of months later, they have changed their mind?  I have a feeling in a couple of years or less, there will be a glut of used mills for sale.

Patrick NC

People lose interest in things pretty fast. I just sawed some logs for a neighbor that has a new lt28 with 17 hours on it sitting in the barn. His son bought it a year ago and sawed a couple dozen logs with it. It's been sitting in his barn ever since. When I asked him why they weren't using it he just rolled his eyes and said that his son had been promising to saw those logs for 2 months and he got tired of waiting. He said his son thought a sawmill was a sure way to make a bunch of money until he realized how much work was involved. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Trackerbuddy

Quote from: jcrumley on December 31, 2020, 06:43:20 AM
A friend of mine ordered a  LX25 Saturday.  Woodmizer in Georiga told him it will be May before it gets here.  Funny thing is, there were several pallets of them sitting in the shop.  My buddy asked about them and the guy said they were waiting on pick up.  He said some people don't pick them up for months and one guy waited a year to come pick it up.  I guess some people make a rush decision and a couple of months later, they have changed their mind?  I have a feeling in a couple of years or less, there will be a glut of used mills for sale.
Maybe
Once a mill is paid for and set up in the barn there it sits.  There is no motivation to sell it unless the owner needs the space or money. Or the owner dies. So that glut may not show up for 20 or 30 years when we start dropping 

Tom King

A puppy buyer sent us a deposit check, paid $7.75 postage to send it two day priority on Dec. 12.  It got here on the 26th.

Skip

I just got a paper I subscribe to yesterday dated Dec 5.  >:( ::)

Magicman

The first time I sawed for a customer that had a sawmill I thought....what??  Since then it has happened several times, twice this year.  I have an upcoming job that the customer admitted up front that he had a sawmill but "didn't want to fool with the sawing".  OK by me.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BandsawBen

I work for the postal service full time as a rural mail carrier. We are and have been completely buried with parcels since last March when covid started. This Christmas has been the worst ive ever seen as far as parcel volume. We were told that they were hiring seasonal help for increased volume but, only one person was hired and she started dec 19.. a little too late. Our sorting and distribution center requested 200 additional personal for the holiday season 7 people applied and were hired. People will not work if you pay them to sit at home on unemployment. I to use the postal service for parcels but, less lately because who knows when it will show up, iam delivering parcels now with an expected dates of dec 9. Its just biting off more that we can chew. Bottom line with all my rantings is we dont have the personal to perform as expected as seen with many other companies.

farmfromkansas

Our mail used to go to Salina, then get distributed, they closed the operation in Salina, now it all goes to Wichita, and mail is sometimes way late.  Sent a check for insurance, they still haven't received it, has to have been sent a month ago. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

dgdrls

I cannot speak to lead time for a new mill,  I did order ceiling tiles and they are 2 weeks behind so far from the listed delivery date.

My mail service is fine, orders placed for items from Washington State came by the postal service in 3-days as scheduled.

D

jay_d

Can confirm. Spoke to them at wmga, 24 week wait.

12 weeks woodland mills

6 weeks at hudson for whats already built

wesdor

Not a mill order - I already have one.  

Called to order a brush mower for my tractor in September.  Dealer told me he couldn't get it until January.  I told him I would call back in January since I don't need it until April.  

Plan to call this week and hope I didn't make a mistake.

BTW - REMOVED BY ADMIN. NO ADVERTISING.

mudfarmer

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 01, 2021, 09:39:22 AM
Our mail used to go to Salina, then get distributed, they closed the operation in Salina, now it all goes to Wichita, and mail is sometimes way late.  Sent a check for insurance, they still haven't received it, has to have been sent a month ago.
Strange stuff they are doing. Here the local mail used to get sorted, well, locally. They even had different slots in the post office for local and non local mail. You put something in the mail to someone within 50 miles and they had it the next day no problem. Now it goes 150 miles away to some big sorting facility and it takes a hilarious amount of time. Someone towards the tippy top is making dumb decisions and it sure isn't @BandsawBen 
Seriously, the check is in the mail!! ;D

Lyndaker

I ordered a new DL timbertech swing blade in late September. Its on the way now and should be here sometime next week. They were unable to build the mill I ordered due the supply chains being broken and parts not available. So instead they built me the next size up mill with parts they had on hand for the same price. Thats what I call customer service. 
Everything seems difficult to get, takes longer, and is more expensive since the shut downs. 

carter boy

I ordered my lt40 w in June and it was an 8 week lead time then

att_t_2d

I ordered a Woodland Mills HM130MAX Woodlander last week and they said I should see it in early April.  

farmfromkansas

Insurance company finally got the check, and sent another bill for 10$ late fee.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!