iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Correct Change

Started by Magicman, December 24, 2012, 09:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

:laugh:  I learned years ago to keep a Kodak film container full of quarters in the glove box.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdonovan

I would have given him directions to the local ATM and told him to come back when he was willing to be more reasonable about the amount of change needed.

Tom L

when I was 17-19 I hated paying tolls on the gsp. used to use the road 2-3 times a week on the weekends and hated the fact that the state made me stop every 10 miles to give them a quarter. so I used to go into the cash only lane and hand the teller a $100. they would look at me and say they couldn't break a hundred , give me the bill back and tell me to go thru. worked at every toll booth I hit for three years. then one time I handed it to a teller and this old lady didn't bat an eye. gave me $99.75 in change and said have a nice day.

DDobbs

You know my stash money is all $100 bills I wouldnt think a thing of it. 
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Tree Feller

Around here, most store owners have a "take a penny - leave a penny" tray next to the check-out register. If you need a penny, take one out of the tray. If you have a few pennies in your pocket, put them in the tray.

Personally, I'd like to see the U.S. Mint do away with pennies altogether. It costs more to mint them than they are worth.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dgdrls

This post has been bothering me. smiley_furious
I find it unconscionable that a customer would think this would be acceptable.
  I'm as frugal as the next guy, but really round off $25??
I would never do that and expect the same in return. 

I'm glad you were able to cash it, I would have reminded the
gentlemen to be better prepared when payment is due.

Maybe you should hold a $50 spot in reserve for the next joker that pulls
this trick,  see how quick he is to want to eat the change

DGDrls

Dave Shepard

The loose change on the floor of my truck is worth more than the truck.  :D I hate it when people try to scam you. Dicken Crane, of Crane paper, the company that makes the paper for U.S. and foreign currency, still owes me $3 from about 2001 because he didn't have exact change. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quotethen one time I handed it to a teller and this old lady didn't bat an eye. gave me $99.75 in change and said have a nice day.
What you didn't tell us was if the change was all in quarters.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jueston

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 26, 2012, 03:18:15 PM
Dicken Crane, of Crane paper, the company that makes the paper for U.S. and foreign currency, still owes me $3 from about 2001 because he didn't have exact change. ::)

i think being able to tell people that is worth $3... :D

woodhick

I have a regular customer who will come with mostly $1 or $5 to pay his bill.   Get agravating.  He has a vending machine business so I guess it works for him.  If the customer MM spoke of was a "regular"  I would probably said ok and took the $100.  Next time he comes he's already $28 in the hole before I ever start sawing.   Or if he knew the amount of the bill before he came tell him to leave some of his wood until he has full amount.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Jemclimber

I would have just said "Thanks for the tip, you're awful generous". It puts them in the awkward position and not you.  It only takes one/few bad apples to spoil the bunch.
lt15

Chuck White

Quote from: woodhick on December 27, 2012, 01:55:03 AM
I have a regular customer who will come with mostly $1 or $5 to pay his bill.   Get agravating.  He has a vending machine business so I guess it works for him.  If the customer MM spoke of was a "regular"  I would probably said ok and took the $100.  Next time he comes he's already $28 in the hole before I ever start sawing.   Or if he knew the amount of the bill before he came tell him to leave some of his wood until he has full amount.

I've done that, it actually works well.

In my case I was going to be doing some early Spring sawing (around 4,000bf), and then in the late Summer/early Fall I'd come back and saw up around 5,000bf.

He didn't have quite enough to pay the early job in full, so I just told him he could catch up in the Fall when I came back, and he did, but also gave me a nice little tip for trusting him.  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DR Buck

Last year I dropped my $40 per month merchant account that used a wireless (built in cell phone) auto-connect reader and replaced it with the INTUIT GoPayment system. (http://payments.intuit.com/merchant-services/mobile-credit-card-processing-234NS-3439G6.html) It works like the 'Square' and has a reader that plugs into my smart phone.  The reader is free and I  only pay 1.8% transaction fees.   I also got a bluetooth reader-printer (cost xtra) because I found some of my customers don't use email and like a paper card receipt.  I've been very happy with it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!