iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy and lt40 manual speed control help

Started by mmartone, January 06, 2013, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Hi guys,

I had all the pines in my yard cut (50) and was carrying them to wewahitchka to have a guy cut my wood for me. After $1000 worth I had a look at my pile and figured there was $6000 more to go! I started looking for a used mill and found this well modified (not in a good way) lt40. I made a deal that I thought was decent and brought it home along with its 12' extension. After some conversation with WM they helped me determine I needed an updated set of boards, pcb, diode assy and mosfet assy to the tune of $406.84, I installed them as the instructions stated. I now have high speed forward and reverse, not exactly what I was hoping for.
I'm a marine diesel guy and do main engines, gensets, ac/dc electrical, fiberglass (you get the point). I work on most anything but I'm thinking I still have a bad board. Checked the wiring of the drum switch and its right. I'm going to call them again tomorrow just hoping to get some help.

Thanks
Mark
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

drobertson

MMartone, welcome to the forum, I was trying to figure out you description of the problem, do you mean you have only one speed foward and it is fast?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mmartone

Yes sir, 1 speed, fast in forward and fast in reverse, as it should be.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

thecfarm

mmartone,welcome to the forum. WM will be able to help you. They will see you through your problem. What are you building? Sounds like alot of lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hi Mark, and Welcome to the Forestry forum. The call to WM will be your best choice for the proper fix.  Push the button to talk with the "electrical" person.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

MMartone, what year is your mill? If it's older than 1997, the forward speed controller circuit board is no longer available. However, the post 97 controller will work in an older mill BUT it's not quite a direct replacement. Look over the installation instructions carefully.. Been there, done that with my 95 manual mill. If you go poking around with a meter, be aware that the controller board does not control the speed by reducing the voltage to the motor. It turns the full 12 volts on and off 2000 times a second. The ratio of on to off time controls the speed. It's called Pulse Width Modulation. You should be able to hear a 2000 cps squeal when moving the head forward.
A 12 foot extension on a manual mill is a bit unusual.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mmartone

Mill was built 0286, the serial has an E at the end and an EX stamped under it. I talked with WM about it and they said in the old days the mills were built the extensions were built with them, probably not be a perfect fit for any other mill except this one. I have the original manuals and a bonus, the 87 color brochure!
I know they use pwm for speed control, since the speed is nothing but fast I'm guessing there no pulsing.

mmartone

Yes theres going to be a ton of lumber! The guy that cut my trees has been having me do the repairs on some of his equipment, bobcat, stump grinder etc. He brought me some nice cypress logs he cut a few weeks ago, bonus.

pineywoods

Best I remember, one of the things that was slightly different is the connections between the speed control pot on the panel and the controller board. If the old one didn't work, possible someone has been poking around in there trying to fix it. Those controllers are usually pretty robust. What got to mine was water, corroded everything. The new design will handle a drive motor twice the size of yours.

BTW welcome to the forestry forum. You won't find a friendlier, more helpful bunch of folks anywhere.  We may have to nickname you MM#2 , as we already have an MM, short for MagicMan.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about this as WM will get you through this.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mmartone

Just got off the phone with Mike at WM, quick check to his instructions and he says the MOSFET is bad. Had a look and could see I just bought it and he is sending me a new one over night, talk about awesome service! I believe that I may be able to saw some wood after this week!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mmartone!

It's a great place and lots of good people and info.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mmartone

Spent some time today on the phone with Mike from WM and did some more trouble shooting, seemed like and hour but may have been less. He is supposed to overnight me a new MOSFET board, should fix my rig. Think I have a nice piece of hickory with a nice crotch and maybe more in it, going to pick it up friday I hope. Thanks Mike! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!