iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unscheduled Day Off

Started by Magicman, January 23, 2013, 08:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Nope, I did not finish today, so I'll just take another day off tomorrow.   :)  Monday has not been touched yet.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

francismilker

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 01:43:59 PM
I believe that we are discussing commonsense shutdown procedures ROL, so I doubt that you are missing anything. 

In the OP, my helper was questioning me about why I took the time to clean up and put up "knowing" that we would be back the next morning and just have to drag it all back out before we could begin work.  I have read where some sawyers even leave the blade on the sawmill overnight.  Not me.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone test driving your mill after you leave for the evening to give sawing a whirl.  I've never heard of anyone taking the blade off at night for blade or mill protection.  Of course, I've only been on FF a few months and I'm learning new tricks everday!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

uncheduled day off means more work to me, the owner of R7 tooling called and gave me the day off, he is buying another lathe today, picking up tomorrow, more moving in the morning, then production following, the cedar will have to get fit in along with the rest of the firewood.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

I generally try to leave the head up some if I'm not going to be moving the saw just in case of battery problems. You can't access the battery with the head all the way down.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kensfarm

I think the old saying of "out of sight.. out of mind.."  is always sound advice.  I put all my equipment up at the end of the day too.. it's just part of taking care of the equipment.

I've really been enjoying reading about all the experience everyone shares.. I just opened my 2nd box of blades last weekend.. I've been sawing every weekend since my Nov. delivery.. 2 weeks over the holidays.. I can't get enougth.   ;D 

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on January 24, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
I generally try to leave the head up some if I'm not going to be moving the saw just in case of battery problems. You can't access the battery with the head all the way down.

I can remove my battery box cover with the saw head all the way down.

It's kind of a tight area, but I can do it!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rmack

Well, that's news to me.

It's not even 7:00 oclock, and I already learned something  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

thecfarm

You must be on the South end of the time zone too. I have almost 9.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I have another "Unscheduled Day Off" today, so time doesn't matter.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2013, 09:29:51 AM
I have another "Unscheduled Day Off" today, so time doesn't matter.   :D
So this explains why you're on-line so much.  ;D
I'm off today too......sleet coming down with the wind blowing. Got a fire in the fireplace, cup of coffee, old western on T.V. and my laptop.
Phone has rang 7 times this morning about lumber.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Left Coast Chris

MM --  good discussion.   Thanks for the tips.   My mill is stationary so I never take the blade off at the end of the day.  What little rust I get has not seemed to be a problem over the years as it appears to clean itself up on the next cut.   If you are sawing stationary at your place do you remove the blade?    Releasing tension is another good discussion.  I have not had any issues by leaving the tension for long periods of time since mine is manual with no hydraulic tensioner.   It would be good to see what an operation such as Bibbys does for  comparison.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Personally, I never, ever leave a blade on overnight anywhere.  It does not take but a very few minutes to remove it, plus I want clean B57's at the beginning of a saw day.

I relieve the tension on my hydraulic tensioner when I stop for lunch.  Just my way of doing things.   :)

bama20a

My son would leave his tools out at the end of the day(not sawmilling) till one morning when he returned they wasn't there,Lesson learned.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Tree Feller

I always pick up my tools and tidy up at the end of the day, even inside my woodshop. However, it would have never occurred to me to remove the band fom my mill unless it was dull. Release the tension...sure. Take it off...I don't think so.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

blackfoot griz

When I was a little kid, my mom asked me if I was hungry (I was) and she started making  make me some lunch.
She told me to go upstairs and make my bed  and tidy up my room first.  I said, "why should I have to make my bed and clean up my room if I'm just going to mess it up again"

She glared at me for the longest while, put all of the lunch fixins away as I watched and said "why bother eating, you're just going to get hungry again".  I went without lunch that day, but never had a problem cleaning up my room after that.

Thank You Sponsors!