iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belsaw m14

Started by mmartone, September 19, 2013, 08:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

So the other day I posted a local ad for a belsaw M14... now I'm wondering if I should go get it.... I need someone to look at the ad and tell me whats missing since I know nothing about it. I need to know about a blade and how many horsepower it takes to run one of these machines? pm me or call or text me 850-774-4742 please, thank you.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

beenthere

Send a PM to tgailbraith who posted an invite to his Belsaw. He may have some good info for you.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69005.msg1035346.html#msg1035346
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

MM,is the mill set up or just a pile of parts.Early Belsaws were designed to be fastened to an owner built wood base later ones had a steel base[pressed steel] The big stuff is saw,carriage arbor and track to run on,the feedworks should have belts and a drum for cable.Don't be too discouraged if its just a small pile of parts they don't look like much when not set up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mmartone

It looks like a pile of parts however I dont know if anythings missing from the stuff. I tried to find a good build or some good video on youtube to see what there was to it.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

tgalbraith

Mmartone-
from the craig's listing, the things that are not pictured or missing is as follows-
1- the saw blade, which is expensive. $200-400 used, $1000 - 2000 new.
2- The track sections, consisting of 6 channel irons 10' long with guide rails welded on. ( I think this is an old one
     that you have to build yourself with wooden beams) If it is the newer model, it is also missing the steel parts
     for the bases.
The carriage looks to be complete and the components for the carriage drive are there.   The price is not out of line for whats there, but it will take a great deal of work and money to get  a working mill out of it.  Hope this helps.
P.S.  I tried to reply to your e-mail but was not successful . 

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

mmartone

I figured it was an older one that needed beams but those I can saw on the band mill. If it had a blade that would make it more appealing. I think yo have helped me decide I dont need another project at this time.

tgalbraith

Quote from: mmartone on September 20, 2013, 10:04:24 AM
I figured it was an older one that needed beams but those I can saw on the band mill. If it had a blade that would make it more appealing. I think yo have helped me decide I dont need another project at this time.
If you google "foley belsaw manual", you can get a PDF file to read or copy. It will give you most of the dimensions
for fabricating the frame. It is on a Old Farm Tractor website.  Should give you some idea of what this project would
take.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

nk14zp

If the price is right get it.  They are not that hard to set up(says the man who has yet to set his up)  All most all the info is out there.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

bandmiller2

The most expensive part of the mill is the saw if it doesn't have one its not worth  much.I would continue looking, ask around there are more unused circular mills around than you think. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!