iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw m14

Started by Mark K, June 10, 2012, 03:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark K

I bought a Belsaw m14 at an auction yesterday. Wasn't expecting to by a mill when I went but the price was good. Has roughly 30' of frame and track, pto driven with a 40" insert tooth blade. All wooden framed which is in real good shape. I have a couple questions. What size logs will this handle? Im mainly cutting hemlock and some pine. How much HP does it take to run? I have three tractors, farmall super m, farmall bn, and a Massey harris 30. Which would be my best bet for running it? I know the bn wouldnt do it but I use my farmall super m to move logs. I was hoping to use the massey. The previous owner used a little Allis Chalmers. He ran the mill for a couple years and had to sell it because of injury. 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

thurlow

When F-B was in business, they usta publish a quarterly magazine and would run stories of people pulling their mill with a Super C Farm-a-little or something similar.  The manual says my mill with a 46 inch blade (2 headblock/10 ft carriage will handle a 24 inch by 14 ft log;  I've occasionally sawed 30 inch by 16 or 17 footers,  but each time I've done it, I've sworn never again...............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

snowshoveler

My mill runs a 38 inch blade and I have a vintage cat power unit belted up to it..50 horsepower.
As for logs I have a lot of them 20 and 24 inches.
Its work for sure but can be done, you will get real good using a chainsaw to help you. I use a little 338xp husky
top handle. Very light and fits the job very nice.
You run 1 log throught that mill and you will forget all about any thing else you might have had for a hobby.
Good luck and post us some pics of the mill and tractors.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Mark K

Thanks for the fast replies. I will definitely post some pics as I go. Its all apart sitting on my trailer, oiled and covered up right now. I have a 20x50' pad that im going to put it on where a barn once stood. My goal is to get it set up by mid summer and a roof over it before the winter. It's going to be a learning experience. I had a woodmizer lt40 manual before that I owned as a partnership with a family member. I dont want to go into detail but I got the raw end of the deal. Im not looking to turn this into a production mill just want something to tinker with during spring breakup and when logging is slow. I do have a six cylinder power plant off of an IH combine. Has the clutch, pulleys and all but would have to make the mill belt drive. Plus I think it will hog gas!
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

captain_crunch

48 pto hp will do this
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Congrats Mark,There are volumes written here on Belsaws.You will be surprised how large a log you can whittle down with that 40" saw.Just be carefull turning and flopping down heavy logs/cants on your carriage,best to build the turners Belsaw reccomends.Unless the bits are real good I would start off with new ones and a freash hammering job. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thurlow

Quote from: captain_crunch on June 11, 2012, 01:18:02 AM
48 pto hp will do this

Dang, that's pretty;  what kind of wood do it be?  Looks like frasassas, but I've never seen one that big.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Mark K

The man that originally owned it is going to help me fine tune it once I get the rough setup done. Blade has a new set of bits in it and came with a box of bits and the tool. He has the sharpener for it and a sawdust blower. I'll have to look it up and see what the turner looks like.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!