iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB legal to run during Colorado Stage 1 Outdoor Fire Ban?

Started by Bob Lentz, June 16, 2012, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Lentz

Just curious if any of you other people in Colorado know if it's legal to use your OWB during a ban on outdoor burning?
I noticed that the fire website said no Wood Burning Stoves - do CB OWBs fall under that category?
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

beenthere

Where there is smoke, there is fire.
I'd suspect if they see smoke, the gendarmes would be in a bit of a panic and shut it down or give out a fine.
In these fire-fighting times, they don't want to see smoke. Just thinkin your question would be the CB is a wood stove. Maybe call and find out otherwise. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sparky1

I would say if it said no wood burning stoves, an owb  would be in that catagory.  Im guessing the fine could get pretty heafty for something like that too..
Shaun J

thecfarm

I would not want to risk my woods for a OWB fire. I would shut it down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bob Lentz

I have shut it down. However, i think it's a bit strange that they would allow me to use it if it was inside my house. Or what's worse, you can use your indoor wood burning fireplace! - the venting system in the OWB is much safer than a standard chimney. Oh well, as they say, better spend a few dollars on propane vs risking a fine and or starting a forest fire.

eClassic-2400

Bob Lentz

I wrote to the fire chief in my county and his response was that i could continue to use my OWB.  It's currently still turned off but i'm glad that i got the confirmation on the official position.
eClassic-2400

barbender

Interesting. If it was me, I'd probably just shut it down anyways. There's fire started around here once in a while by an OWB during our spring dry season, your situation is a bit more flammable than that.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!