iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100+ year old 40" Diameter Oak Tree

Started by tim1234, October 04, 2003, 09:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

I have a dead 40" Diameter Oak tree that needs to be cut down.  The trunk is about 40" in diameter and has at least 20' of clear trunk.  I don't want this huge amout of premuim lumber to end up in someone's fireplace.  Is there anyone who is interested in this timber who could mill it either for myself or to take and mill for yourself.  Either way, it is better than ending up in a fireplace.  Please contact me at t2daniel@juno.com

Regards

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

shopteacher

Wish I was closer Tim, I'd be there in a heartbeat. welcome to the forum. 8)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

I haven't figured out where he is.  ??

Welcome to the forum, tim.  Don't run off. :)

Tom

Ah Ha!  Dearborn, Mich.

That is a pretty good ways from me too.   there are fellows around there that could help though.

Just for curiosities sake, what kind of Oak is it?  How much room is there to set a mill up?  Is this an urban, suburban or rural setting? Is the tree down and are you taking it down or expecting the sawyer to have it taken down?
How long has it been dead?

The only reason I ask is because those are some of the typical questions that a sawyer will ask.  He might also be interested in whether you have a tractor that could be used to move the log.  That's a big log :D

Sawyerfortyish

I got a black oak laying in my yard right now it's just 18 feet and 44" dia on the little end and 266+ yrs old . Neither my prentice 120 or my hough loader will pick it up to put it on the live deck.It was loaded on a dump truck by crane and dumped in my way. They did it at night when I wasn't there. Otherwise I would have sent it on down the road. Logs that big are just a pain to work on  they take to much time to saw.

WV_hillbilly

Sawyer40  you need Electric Al to come and show you how to make managable size pieces out of that log. ;)
Hillbilly

Jeff

See if Tammy will come and light the fuse. Thats fun to watch even if yer dying from food poisoning. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tim1234

Tom,

To answer your questions, the Tree is still standing and is about 3/4 dead.  It has survived 2 really tough storms in which the top 1/3 of the tree has been lost.  About 2 years ago it was struck by lightning.  That was the death blow.  It has been dieing a little more each year and now only has leaves on about 1/4 of the branches.  

The tree is 2' from my house.  I built an addtion on the house and cantelevered the addition to keep the foundation away from the tree.  Oh well, I didn't need that extra 100 sq ft of basement anyway.  

The sawyer that came out today said it was a white oak. My lot is 1 acre so there is pleny of room to set up a mill.  I have contacted several tree services to take the tree down before it falls on my house.  The quotes range in cost from $4200 to $5500. They need a big crane as they must work over the house as there is only good access from 1 side.  My brother-in-law has a F250 4x4 that I could use to drag pieces around but I don't know how effective that would be.  It has been estimated that the log weights 800 lbs per foot!!!  

Dearborn, MI is definately urban, but the lot I have is very un-typical.  Part of the old detroit arsenal grounds broken up and sold off in the late 1800's.  Good thing my great grandpa had money.  Although he either lost it or spent it because I don't have it!!!

Once again if you know of anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Sawyerfortyish

The tree in my log yard a forester estimated it weighed about 9000 lbs for an 18 foot log.
 Jeff I don't remember where but there was a thread about blowing these big logs in half with black powder to make them more manageable.Hmmm maybe that was on that other forum. Does anyone here know how to blow logs in half?

WV_hillbilly

Sawyer 40

That was on here not somewhere else . Send ElectricAl an IM and I'll bet he can point you in the right direction.
Hillbilly

Jeff

Other forum, give me a break. :D  

We even have video. Look in the full members section. Forestry Forum the Movie.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

Sawyer40

The original post was in the general section titled " Working on my technique" by ElectricAl.  I'm not puter literate enough to get the thing cut and pasted  address here. I know just enough about these puter to be dangerous. That  goes for alot of things for me  :D
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!