iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum Website

Started by cblewis, April 13, 2024, 07:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cblewis

Is it just me or are the "pop-up ads" on the site over the top?  Every time I go to a new page, another pop-up shows. 

Haven't been on the site in a while but it almost makes it unusable. Don't remember it being this bad. 

On a mobile device. Does that make a difference?

thecfarm

It's kinda like watching TV.
Without them you would not be here.
There would be no TV or FF.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

most have been ok, but the past 2 days, I am getting "featured video" stuff at the top.  no audio but as I scroll down past, it pops up over the text of the thread and I have to hit the X, takes a few steps for each thread.  more intrusive than before, I agree.  past 2 days.  it says powered by primis.  I am on a laptop
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cblewis

Quote from: thecfarm on April 13, 2024, 07:05:51 AMIt's kinda like watching TV.
Without them you would not be here.
There would be no TV or FF.
I completely get that. We have a website and I understand the ad revenue but it looks like a setting has been changed to include more ads than in the past. It's just really annoying. Revenue generating but annoying. 

The "sponsors" should be getting a break in rates. Their banners are being covered by the pop-ups. 

doc henderson

It is mostly Bloomberg and European news one after the other, like the ads on a plane screen on the seat in front of you.  not really adds.  the sponsors links are still scrolling at the bottom.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

B.C.C. Lapp

Doc I'm getting the same thing.   Never had that before, just started lately.  Its not like a standard ad. It moves to the right of my screen and plays itself.  I just keep xing it out.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Jeff

The changes were made by the ad company. I've put in a complaint.

Now for my complaint. I dont appreciate the sponsor comment one little bit.  The desertion of sponsors is what has forced this.

You dont want any ads? Ill set you up. 10 bucks a month, no ads. Sorry for my website causing yall such trauma.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Oth

It's 2024, if you're not using a browser with a popup blocker you're about 20 years behind.

Magicman

AdBlock, etc. defeats the purpose of Jeff attempting to keep the Forestry Forum "fee free" to the members. 

My AdBlock Plus is selective and I have it turned off on this site.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fluidpowerpro

I understand the reason for adds but I agree. Something has changed in the past few days and the number of pop ups has increased greatly. It really changes the feel of the experience. It doesn't have that down home, welcoming feel anymore.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

CCCLLC

So much distraction to eye focus when  reading a post. Constant movement. 

Jeff

Do I need to quote myself? The ad company made a change. They do that. I have made a complaint to them. I think I know how to run this place and I can guarantee I am the first to be concerned when made aware something is up. It is the weekend. I suspect my complaint will not be addressed until Monday afternoon as the company is in Utah.

Now, go ahead and tell me some more how aggravating it is, I can take it. Can you?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rusticretreater

The ad company does this every now and then to get more "views" for a particular client.  They play a constant game with their site customers while trying to meet contractural agreements with their ad clients.

They don't have the clout of FB or google, so they have to force it upon you to get the views and revenue they need to give the revenue website customers want.  A vicious circle.

Or they could simply be knuckleheads who can't provide consistently good service, unlike an overworked, aggravated, harried and beset upon site owner we all know.  ffcool
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

It is a reflex now to just hit the X.  We will survive and glad we have no fee to pay as that would limit some from use of the site.  At first, I think we were not sure if it was a "my computer thing" or a site thing.  That has been established.  I think we should all know that the concern is in Jeffs hands and will be addressed.  thanks Jeff.

Southside

On most sites I do everything I can to block ads, close ads, etc - but here I know why they are here and how important they are, so I let it be.  It's not free to run this place and those big companies have changed the rules so the spandex sawyers and some who don't know which end of a saw cuts get the sponsors.  Unfortunately it's not about knowledge on the web too often these days, it's just numbers. 

Tell me another site, in any industry, where you can find world class knowledge, ask a question, and pretty much end up with a phone number to talk to whomever by just asking, all for nothing.  The ads are really not a big deal.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

melezefarmer

Quote from: Jeff on April 13, 2024, 07:35:12 AM(...)

You dont want any ads? Ill set you up. 10 bucks a month, no ads. Sorry for my website causing yall such trauma.

This is a pretty good idea actually. Many freemium sites and apps use this model. Don't want to pay, you get ads. Don't want ads, you can pay x$ per month.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Oth on April 13, 2024, 07:38:33 AMIt's 2024, if you're not using a browser with a popup blocker you're about 20 years behind.
What is a browser?

Dave Shepard

Deer are browsers, cows are grazers.

ffcheesy
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

47sawdust

I mostly use my laptop to view  the forum.No ads

Just curious why the  ads  show  up on the phone.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

21incher

I got a message on my android tablet right after the full screen videos started that Java is trying to redirect something do you want  to disable it? I said yes and now no adds but all the notification and text features no longer work after it changed something. Seems like the add server got too intrusive for my system  monitor. My win 11 PC still is pounded with stupid video adds though I just x out.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

rusticretreater

Vendors have gotten really creative in the way they get the ads in front of you. Almost to the level of folks who create viruses and trojans.  There is the conventional way which is you load a page and the code in the page pulls the ads down.  Once the connection is made it is then usually a push method where the ad servers keep pushing the ads downstream.

Then there is the more insidious way of storing the code in the website cookies that are downloaded.  This method caused a lot of furor and its now why you have those annoying cookies being downloaded warnings.  Those messages are actually a form of security.  Some websites will download multiple cookies and these things do all sorts of reporting.  Its another way of tracking your interests.  All this info is sold and the vendors then know what ads to throw up on the screen.  I routinely go through and delete the whole pile of them when my browser starts acting funky.

The last method is quite curious. Apparently, they can send some ad info along in video streams which then acts like one of the former methods once processed.  I may have some of this wrong, but its what my computer experience and observations are telling me.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

21incher

Yea, I was getting a lot of strange cookies I had to clear on the tablet.  I just went into  the Crome settings on my pc and found a switch to turn  off Java. No more pop-up videos or adds on any sites anymore.  From a search  I just did it seems to be a backdoor into your privacy that can be exploited.  Some  sites don't function properly now but I will use Vivaldi for them. It just started  getting  so annoying the last week everywhere.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Andries

Well, somethings changed this morning. The ad flow has increased in a big way. There are two or three ads floating across the screen at any given time. Some even disappear when I go to X them out, only to re-appear at the bottom of the screen.
I completely agree with Jeff's initiative to keep the cash flow going, to support the forum. And also with Southside's comment about the Spandex Sawyers luring away our sponsors to fluff sites, is at the heart of it. Welcome to business competition in the digital age.
Thank you Jeff for all you do. I also hope your complaint to the ad company in Utah makes a difference soon.
You're at the Project this weekend, you should have a great time - you deserve it.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SawyerTed

It is a catch 22 and I understand the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.  Without the ads the forum struggles to exist or ceases to do so.

With that said, the ads are interfering with the usability of the forum.  That's tragic because decreased usability will decrease use.

The ads are cookie driven.  I blocked all cookies on my iPad - NO ADS.  BUT, I can't log in to the forum without cookies enabled.  

That's too bad.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

beenthere

Read reply #6 and #11. Jeff is on it,  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!