iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify this McCulloch saw?

Started by GoStumpy, April 12, 2012, 01:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoStumpy

For a friend, is this one of the older McCulloch saws that were actually decently made?  Not for heavy-duty use or anything, just camping firewood duty...

Good buy for $100 if it runs well?

GoStumpy

According to this:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/e134c94c3ee94a6488256c2e007315a7?OpenDocument

55cc engine, made from 1977-1982, and weighs 15lbs  :o

OFFSITE IMAGES ARE NOT ALLOWED YOU MUST USE YOUR FORUM GALLERY TO POST PHOTOS

Looks like it!

mad murdock

PM10-10 auto, is a 3.3cubic in.(54cc) saw. Can handle up to 28" guide bar, and is a good saw.   That one with the chain brake is their later production model. If it runs ok, then 100 isn't bad, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

It's just a standard 10-10 ,common as dirt .Mac made millions of them.

It may take a 28" bar but it won't like it . More commonly a 16" or 20" would be about it .

This model in it's various forms is one of the longest production runs of any saw ever made .From the early right hand start models which had cast iron cylinders until the last of the series which was slightly larger in displacement of I think 57 cc ,the 10-10S Fact I have 4 or 5 in running condition including the last year of production,1998 that looks like it's brand new .

As for a 100 bucks probabley about the limit as far  as top money .They can go for a lot less but still for that money a good deal as they last forever unless you straight gas them .

lumberjack48

I bought a new one back in 67, it was a right hand start. The 10-10 is a good saw, with a 16" bar they cut good.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

GoStumpy

So for a guy that's only going to use it a half-dozen times a year to cut up one tree, sounds like a good candidate....  he said he doesn't want to spend more than $150 if he can help it.. So this saw + a case would get him close to that..  :P

Al_Smith

Yes indeed .In addition with such limited usage unless the saw is abused  it will go for years .

A 10-10 is an old school Mac ,not the fastest saw in the shed but one of the most robust .

WUDPIRAT

MAC 10-10. excelent saw, I got two, a 10-10 Auto and a 10-10 PRO. The Pro has a new P/C and is still breaking in. I got it FREE and put about $150 in new parts. The previous owner over heated it by not keeping it clean. She was packed solid with oily saw dust and seized up tight.
The Auto was also FREE and needed some parts and a new carb.
Both are running great and the Auto is running a 16" bar and the Pro a 20".
Not the fastest but they both cut with gusto and are LOUD.
My Makita and the Dolmar do the heavy cutting while the Macs are more for play.    8)

FREDM,,, Always lookin' to score a load of FREE wood or a chainsaw. :D

Al_Smith

Yeah I only payed for one .Package deal , flea bay from about 20 miles from my house .A 10-10 with three bars ,4 chains ,1 Mac 250 and a 24" bow bar less than 50 shipped .All the 10-10 needed was a carb rebuilt .It gets a little run now and again to keep it limbered up .

To the original question .You can get a lot less saw for a whole lot more money .If it meets the guys needs and works out for him you really can't ask for much more .

After thought .I just remembered there were three 10-10's in that deal .One intact ,two in pieces .One was a right hand start I used the crankshft on my hot rod 70 CC Mac 6-10 .

Thank You Sponsors!