iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

One of the questions that I ask myself sometimes is "what's the point?"

I've beaten myself into the ground for 10 years building this thing,and I've probably got another 10 years of working myself into the ground to get it to where I want it. Neither of my daughters is interested in the business (and I can't blame them because they saw how tough I did it doing the uphill pushing before it started rolling) which leaves me wondering exactly what I'm trying to achieve sometimes.

I mean I could pull my head in, slow.down and coast along making a comfortable living until I didn't want to do it anymore. Or I can keep going where I'm going building myself the most perfect of hamster wheels until it kills me eventually.

The idea that a kid, or a grandkid (those haven't happened yet) or some keen youngun would be interested in taking what I'm building and carrying it forward is something that would be very fulfilling, and maybe make some of my sacrifices worthwhile. A man would like to think he's left behind more than a mountain of sawdust no?

Having a grandkid interested would be fantastic.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

I had potentials but they have developed a much higher income producing business so my little sawdust producing business will fade by the wayside.

We can not direct nor predict the future, only live our lives and be comfortable in our own shoes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jpassardi

Well you can certainly be proud of them Lynn.
In the end I suppose as long as we guide the next generation(s) to be people of high integrity and prepare them for a career they can excel at and hopefully better themselves beyond what we have then we have succeeded.
Sometimes my Son (now 22) surprises me with what he knows and what I can learn from him.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

olcowhand

If I'm getting some guff, please always realize that I'm getting what I give so no sympathy for me. That's what my wife would say, anyhow😁

I just thought that the "R" is silent in the Minnesota dialect.......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on January 06, 2024, 06:33:25 PM
Or maybe the "12,000-pound winches of West Virgina".  :snowball: What say you, Howard. :)

As usual, Danny was prob. right.  keep your head on a swivel Ted. :o :o :o

Doc,

Sorry, I just noticed this. And in response: "No Comment" ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Olcowhand, the Minnesota accent makes full use of the "R". If it is in a word, we are saying it!😂 One could make the case that we make use of the r's that folks in New England don't use😁
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

Rs and gs have been endangered for a long time in many accents.   In a place called Pine Hall, NC, 10 or 12 miles from here, they are nearly forgotten.  Their accent is distinctly theirs and has been for decades. 

Same with a place called Robersonville, NC.  I was in Alaska, on a cruise, and heard a group of men and women talking.  I stopped in my tracks and asked if they were from NC.  They were and I asked if they were from Robersonville.  They were genuinely shocked.  No Rs - but "ah" instead and not a g at then of any word.

What rubs me wrong is the loss of Ts among some groups of millennials!  Moun'ans instead of mountains makes me turn the channel from our local news.  There are a couple of young 30ish women news persons who slip and forget their Ts.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

You use your O's too. 

Quick true story:

PatD and I were high up on a Colorado mountain and met another hunter.  We chatted for a bit and I asked him what part of Minnesota he was from?  He asked how I knew that he was from Minnesota and I replied, "the way you talk".  He said that he knew that we were from the South, but he could not tell the state, maybe Texas.

After we parted ways, Pat said, "you ought to be ashamed of yourself".  I asked "why" and she said, "you know very well that you saw the tag on his truck when we parked".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Ted, for the most part, we have also lost our T's and ing's.  Moun'uns & shoo'un'.  It is quite common for me to overhear two people talking and not understand any of the conversation.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

We drop g's a lot. Shootin', fishin', etc.

I've had people call my accent out many, many times. And I don't think they saw my license plate, either😁

The fad type of language changes are a huge pet peeve of mine.

olcowhand

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 08, 2024, 05:44:53 PMWhat rubs me wrong is the loss of Ts among some groups of millennials!  Moun'ans instead of mountains makes me turn the channel from our local news.  There are a couple of young 30ish women news persons who slip and forget their Ts.

All the kids around here live in "Mann-unn"......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

jpassardi

Quote from: barbender on January 08, 2024, 05:30:24 PM
Olcowhand, the Minnesota accent makes full use of the "R". If it is in a word, we are saying it!😂 One could make the case that we make use of the r's that folks in New England don't use😁
Just for the record: that's only Mass and Maine - just sayin... ;)
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

cutterboy

Quote from: jpassardi on January 09, 2024, 07:15:46 AM
Quote from: barbender on January 08, 2024, 05:30:24 PM
Just for the record: that's only Mass and Maine - just sayin... ;)

What's a "R"?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

Jpassardi, I'm pretty sure I've heard some New Hampshire and Vermont residents getting real light in the "r's" too😁

barbender

For the record, this is what is called "rhoticism" by linguists. If you pronounce r's it is rhotic, if you drop them it is non-rhotic.

Language fascinates me. For instance, why are British and North American accents so different, and accents so different regionally in America. One thing I found interesting, is the theory that modern American speech may be more similar to the common speech that English settlers brought across, than modern British. That is to say, British has changed more.

While their obviously no recordings of what speech sounded like in 1650, linguists piece things together by comparing poetry and things like that, that gives an indication of how a word was pronounced then.

British English was rhotic (they pronounced their r's) up until the mid 1800's. From what I understand, it was the London elites that began dropping r's, and that began to spread with the advent of radio. England supposedly had a lot of markedly different regional accents, often village by village.

If you made a Brit say their r's, it would immediately cause them to sound less uppity😁

SawyerTed

While I'm not well studied in linguistics, I am fascinated by the accents/dialects from a historical view especially in this neck of the woods. 

Tidewater Virginia, Eastern NC and the Low Country of SC all have similar but distinctive accents.  Of course the Gullah of the Low Country have an dialect/language of their own.

The Downeast (Carteret County) and Hyde County (Ocracoke) accents are featured in this NCSU Linguistics Project video.  The more isolated the population, the more likely the Carolina Brogue will still be spoken.  There's lots of letters left out or added to their words.

THE CAROLINA BROGUE (full movie) - YouTube

I do spend a lot of time in these areas but I'm still a dingbatter.   :).
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Andries

Quote from: barbender on January 09, 2024, 09:45:05 AM
. . .  If you made a Brit say their r's, it would immediately cause them to sound less uppity😁
There's a lot of those London Elites up here. Archibald Highnostril will always find a way to be better than the rest.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

Um... is anyone sawing any lumber? ???
My mill is taking it's winter nap, and currently getting covered with snow.  :snowman:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

randy d

We sawed three big White pine logs yesterday just to get them out of the yard so I could plow snow we may not saw again until warmer weather arrives again.  Randy

SawyerTed

It's been pouring rain since before daylight.  We are on inch 2.   Thundering but haven't seen lightning, yet. 

terrifictimbersllc

2 inches of rain coming over 18hr starting now according to forecast. Of course it isn't actually raining yet. Radar looks like gets here around 2pm.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KenMac

Here in central Alabama we got 4 inches of rain last night with some wind. I've not seen any damage.....from my windows.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Jim_Rogers

Very windy here today at the coast of NC.
Supposed to be until 9pm or later.
No raining hard but wet out.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Rain and winter mix here. I bucked a big 12' poplar log off a tree I had down in the woods but have not tried to drag it down yet. I'll saw and use it on my shed project.

My son lives 10 miles away and had bad wind last night and power and water have been out since 1:30 this morning. We're okay here and I have a well and back up genset so we would be okay even if the lines go down.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!