iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crazy Papers

Started by Magicman, March 28, 2024, 05:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

About annually at the Dr. office and now with my new insurance provider (UHC) I have to fill out crazy papers about whether I can drive, eat, need help with household activities, etc.  Well I "did done it" and it's in the mail in case anyone sends out a search party.  :crazy_eyessmilie:

That plus they want to make a home visit and ask the same questions plus listen to my heart, weigh me, and take my blood pressure.  I ain't agreeing to that.  I already do my blood work and make my regular scheduled Dr. visits. 

61 is soon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

When I retired and got my own insurance they tried that stuff with us too. We went along for a while, I had a 'video exam' during covid with them and they did a home visit for both of us. It was a waste of time, totally, and (no offence to my many Doc friends) the Doc they sent looked and acted like his main job was in a morgue. Not real sharp, moved very slow and just told us a little less than everything we already knew about our health. His most enlightening and helpful comment was "Well, you should see your Doctor about that". 'Yes, I already am.' "Oh OK, well keep an eye on that." 'yeah, I am '.
 SO when they call, we blow them off. They would call all the time, and they send forms all the time, like junk mail. I don't pay to fill out paperwork, I pay for medical coverage. It's a racket, as my Pop would say.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2024, 05:30:44 PMThat plus they want to make a home visit and ask the same questions plus listen to my heart, weigh me, and take my blood pressure.
At first I thought this was a good program. A health insurance company trying to help me plus cut their expenses. Seems more like a scam these days and I refuse to take part. Told them I wasn't interested but they did not listen, got their phone number blocked now and if they want to contact me they can send me a letter.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

They send us emails saying if we fill out this question form, "Do you own any guns, Do you own any dogs", etc we will get a $5 gift card for answering this or whatever amount, keep it and don't bother me.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

They are only riding a money gravy train that someone thought was a good idea that will now never be stopped.  One good overrides nine bads.

We did one home visit thing not knowing any better.  The next time I refused the home visit and allowed myself to agree to a virtual visit.  Neither will ever happen again.  Saying no gets into their pocketbook which is why they are so insistive.

I think that the crazy papers is some kind of a government/healthcare CYA thing.  If you had a health issue they would wave the paper and show where you said......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Pharmacies have been caught doing medication reviews and billing Medicare for it because of some change in the way health care is being delivered. From what I've seen lately in the news the practice is unethical and not necessary and some provincial regulators are looking to sue. Also some pharmacies are using kick back schemes to push meds, which is illegal up here. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

they review your meds each time a new med is prescribed.  they do not get kickbacks.  they can only fill meds, prescribed by a doc.  if they push anything, it is for cheaper generics when appropriate.  They are not supposed to but often suggest the med cards which then often means their company like WM or Walgreens loses money.  They offer to counsel patients each time there is a new med, and the patient can decline.  this is part of their overhead, and kickbacks have been illegal here for many years here as well.  A drug rep can take a doc out for lunch, but that is to get his time to listen, and has never got me to prescribe the drug, unless it has benefits or lower side effects than an older drug.  We get samples we can give away to patients, but it has to work better than other drugs, because it will be more expensive being new.  We do not get sample in the ED.  We do get coupons and med cards we can give to patients.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

It is a benefit from Medicare to get a review.  If a patient wanted an extensive review, local pharmacies here refer them to an outside company and that is all they do.  and yes, MC pays for that.  We are getting some benefits with these companies that claim to add benefits.  they have nurse visits, and transportation.  the doc is managing the patients care and trying to cut costs.  We have a problem when they call us up and mad that we did not call them before admitting one of their patients to the hospital.  Our opinion is they have no role in that decision.  the exception is if they could provide a med at home and avoid admit.  My opinion that is between me and the patient.  It is good that they try to avoid "unnecessary admission.  some folks come to the ED since they do not have transportation and call an ambulance for a runny nose and cough.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Doc, just stating what's going on in Canada with reviews (the consensus is that it's not necessary) and kickbacks, the kickbacks were outlawed a few years back, but some still get caught. Kinda wonder what is slack in the system for someone to try it. I've not had anyone call here about a review. I get a print out with the meds that tells me stuff about it when I get them. The pharmacists will tell you things as per doctors prescription and what is basically in that literature, when you purchase the prescription. I take two BP pills, one is for morning one at bedtime. The doctor told me this and the prescription bottle will have it on there and the pharmacist just repeats it as she hands you the pills. That's different than calling me up 6 months later for whatever reason. Only the doc had better be calling me, or his office.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

I may have misread your comments, sounds like we are close to the same.  thanks

SwampDonkey

Oh and part of the kickbacks was to the patients. Patient might get $100 perhaps, the pharmacy their share, then Medicare pays for it all. Most of those patients are vulnerable.

prescription kickbacks

21incher

Since  going  on Medicare the doctor has to do what they call a wellness visit every couple years. It is a bunch of questions and a quick listen to the heart. Well questions  like do you own guns are included.  The one I got my doctor laughing  over was. Is anyone hurting you or stealing your money? I instantly said Joe Biden, and Kathy Hochul are stealing  my money and hurting me without even thinking.  Well my doctor said is that the answer you want me to enter.  I said yes. His next comment got us both laughing.  Be prepared for a visit from the FBI  ffcheesy. Some of the questions seemed like the government is just creating  a database on old people. I have a great primary care doctor and they are wasting his time forcing visits like this.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

A few months ago the Census Bureau sent me a nice letter telling me I was one of the very few "special" people selected to complete the American Community Survey. I figured it was a scam so threw the letter away. A few weeks later I got a second letter so I researched it and found the American Community Survey  was a valid thing. If I did not complete it, yes I could expect a visit from the MAN. So I looked at the questions and the survey was supposed to improve conditions in my local community. I decided they could improve my conditions by providing more sex and lots of money but decided to modify my answer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

SD I do not know of anything like that here.  I assumed it was the pharma co., paying someone to use their drug.  also not done here.  we used to have them bring lunch for our office, but that was cause otherwise we would not get to eat if we sat and listened to their spiel.  now that is not allowed.

Ianab

Don't know about the laws in other countries, but we have Pharmacist Prescribers here in NZ. That's basically a pharmacist that's had some more training, not up to full Dr level, but able to do a medical review and write a script for repeats or adjust doses. Anything more serious needs to referred to a full Dr. It's mostly a position in larger medical centres, where they have a lot of patients in for routine script renewals / repeats. Instead of tying up a real Dr, you might see a nurse and pharmacist, have your weight and BP checked, blood tests reviewed, and asked the basic "How are you feeling?" sort of stuff. They may be able to tweak the dose of medication, but anything serious or new gets sent on to a Dr. 

So were pharmacies taking it on themselves to do that unnecessarily, and billing for their time? That would be pretty dodgy. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

Quote from: Larry on March 29, 2024, 05:58:34 PMA few months ago the Census Bureau sent me a nice letter telling me I was one of the very few "special" people selected to complete the American Community Survey. I figured it was a scam so threw the letter away. A few weeks later I got a second letter so I researched it and found the American Community Survey  was a valid thing. If I did not complete it, yes I could expect a visit from the MAN. So I looked at the questions and the survey was supposed to improve conditions in my local community. I decided they could improve my conditions providing more sex and lots of money but decided to modify my answer.
Larry - USDA tried that with my by sending me a "mandatory survey" because we farm.  I threw it away and they sent another, so I threw it away, then they sent another, so I threw it away, then one day they called and told me how much trouble I would be in if I didn't fill it out and that they would send someone to my farm. With that in mind I asked them were in the Constitution they they had that authority and since I have never taken a penny from them how do I owe them anything?  They kept pushing it so I advised them to send orphaned bachelors when they came out, never heard a peep again.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
   - Ronald Reagan
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

Ian that would actually make sense.  the pharmacist spends time on the phone and leave a message for the nurse, the nurse runs it past the dc and calls back with an attitude like there time is worth more than anyone else's.  It would actually make sense is prob. why we do not do it.  ffcheesy   Most pharmacists here do an extra year and have a doctoral degree.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on March 29, 2024, 09:04:14 PMSo were pharmacies taking it on themselves to do that unnecessarily, and billing for their time? That would be pretty dodgy.
Yes, and it cost double compared to in person checks, $75 a call. This was reported in Ontario. Every province admins their own Medicare system. Been some pharmacists who quit a certain pharmacy over it and became whistleblowers.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1.7127807

WV Sawmiller

I have had nurses sent out to do a Wellness visit and no major problem till the last one came about 2 hours late. We told her we had an engagement to go to and could not wait. I was very clear we would be here at the 10:00 am appointment time but had to leave by noon. They sent her from Charleston 85-100 miles away and she got here at 11:55 and I told her no. I had a granddaughter's birthday party to go to and I was leaving. She was very ticked off but I set my schedules, not other people and if I set one I'm there for it and they better be if they want to see me. It honestly probably was not the nurses fault but it sure wasn't mine.

They have called several times since to reschedule but I usually hang up when they tell me they are with an insurance company or want to discuss my Medicare options and such.

BTW - when I saw the title I thought Lynn had finally gotten checked out and certified as crazy with papers to prove it and wondered when the rest of us would get ours. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!