iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axes, Leaves, and Poop

Started by Phorester, January 29, 2012, 07:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Yesterday I taught 3 classes at what we call the "University of Scouting".  This was developed 3 years ago and is held annually.  It's a day long event with 10 - 12 classes for adult Scout leaders.  Topics ranging from first aid/CPR, Volunteers and Taxes, legal aspects of Scouting, tree ID, animal tracks & scat, axe care, are taught. 

I taught the last 3 classes mentioned above. All 3 of these subjects are requirements for rank advancement in Scouts.  Animal ID is entitled  "Tracks are terrific, Crap is Cool". A powerpoint I developed with plenty of poop pictures that goes over great with Scouts themselves.  (Amazing what fascinates teenage boys)

Tree ID, I bring in tree branches, acorns, walnuts, leaves, pine cones, etc., etc., so teach with actual tree parts.

Axe care I actually remove and replace an axe handle.  I bring a portable workbench with me with a mounted vise and bench grinder.  This is the outdoor workbench I have in the Woodworking section of this forum. I temporarily mount my bench grinder on it for this class.  Bring a bunch of handles to show defects to avoid, good points to buying replacement handles, etc.

Visual ways of teaching that are much better then canned "death by powerpoint" presentations.

Very few adults, including Scout leaders, these days have any experience in these topics. You can really open up some eyes with basic information or techniques.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Phorester Sounds like a good days lessons for Scout Leaders even a power point on poop  :) :) :) :) ;) ;D 8) I had all sorts off things going through my head as Dad had some feral greenies leave some droppings on the seats off his machines once  :) :( >:( ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

chain

Many years ago a forester taught us the basics of  woods lore similar to items in your subjects. One of such that I always look out for when in the woods is the resin-pitch pine. Not sure if that is the correct name-description but this particular pitch came from the SL pine that either fell from nature's cause or the woodman's axe or saw.

Most always I've found this preserved pinewood on dry ridge-tops. When found I will cut it in 3 or 4 inch chunks and use it much as the NAs and pioneers once did in making fires or torches.

woodtroll

That's great that you teach these classes. Also that you have scouts interested. I have a couple of cub scouts, but it seems like a dying program in my area. Not more then eight boy scouts in the town. They are never around for the younger ones to look up to.

metalspinner

That sounds like a day I would enjoy. :)

We are deeply involved with scouting in our family and love the program.  As with everything, though, you have to take the bad with the good.  A day of classes like you describe would cetainly be one of the "good" things.

woodtroll,
There is an ebb and flow to scout participation.The right leadership and a few excited boys can really perk up an area's involvement. Your district and council representative's pay is based on recruitment and retention rates.  They should be your best source for ideas of getting more boys involved.

When we joined our pack as Tiger cubs, there were just 4 scouts ahead of us. Starting with this group, we have had 20+ of each rank join each year.  So our pack now has over 80 boys.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!