iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Madison Paper next to shut down

Started by Woodhauler, January 13, 2015, 06:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Going to shut down for a couple weeks ! Signs of things to come!!  Snowstorm, was i right???
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

I just saw that on the news. Not good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on January 13, 2015, 06:35:56 PM
I just saw that on the news. Not good.
Been on a shoe string for a couple years!!! These mills can't keep paying union wages to keep running!! I would be happy with 20 bucks a hr and one weeks payed vacation!!  Hopefully things will work out!! I was there last week, 6 trucks in front of me, i was there over a hour!!!!!  3 huge cat tree lenghth loaders running! I would say a 17-20 cd trailer could be unloaded in 10 bucket fulls! Watched on crane hold a bucket full of wood for 12 mionutes! He was setting right bbeside a pile down pile! All he had to do is set it on the pile! ::)
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Black_Bear

snowstorm

Quote from: Black_Bear on January 13, 2015, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on January 13, 2015, 06:16:52 PM
Going to shut down for a couple weeks ! Signs of things to come!!  Snowstorm, was i right???

The age old argument about subsidization rears its ugly head again. The second article is from last fall:

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/13/news/mid-maine/madison-paper-mill-to-cut-production-lay-off-hourly-workers-for-two-weeks/

http://www.capebretonpost.com/Business/2014-09-04/article-3857900/Quebec-mill-operator-blames-closure-on-Port-Hawkesbury-Paper/1
not this again. every time it slows down at a mill here its lets blame those north of the boarder cut.

HiTech

Good old inflation and American Greed has all but ruined our country. Ever notice everyone wants to be millionaires but only a few are willing to work for it. I believe everyone on here are some of the ones willing to work. Anyone working in the logging/lumber industry is not looking for a handout. I often thought if we took the Congress/Senate people and made them pull cable and carry chokers for week or so we would have a far better country. lol

lopet

Or if they would have to run their business ( country or state ) by spending their own money or the money they have available. Would that make them the better people ?  :D :D  No, I guess that train has left the station a long time ago. How does it go, you can make money by going in debt but only as long as there is inflation.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Black_Bear

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 13, 2015, 06:16:52 PM
not this again. every time it slows down at a mill here its lets blame those north of the boarder cut.

The second article is about the Quebec paper company blaming Canadian subsidization for their demise. How do you interpret that? That's like Vermont suggesting Maine subsidizes their mills and can't compete. The blame game on subsidization, and both countries have been guilty at one time or another, has been going on for over a century. Also, union wages may be high, but the cost of energy is what really kills these mills in the winter. At the end of the day numerous factors attribute to Maine's problems in the forest products industry. In the end, we're all in it together.

And I've known a lot of truck drivers, and I don't know many, if any, that would settle for $20/hour and a weeks paid vacation in lieu of being behind the wheel. You're either a trucker or you're not, and the grass is not always greener on the other side. I work closely with numerous truckers and have a lot of respect for them - they get the job done and are usually dedicated to the cause. I'll never get rich being a forester, but I'm comfortable and I enjoy going to the woods every day. There is no way I could work in a mill! The trick is to marry a rich girl, then you can afford that subsidized, imported beer (Moosehead!) every weekend!  ;)

Just my $0.02.   

timberlinetree

It it very sad what this country has become!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

SwampDonkey

I find with truckers around here, it's the same rate for a 40 mile haul as a hundred. When they haul mill wood they get one rate, some make it work, others move on. I know some that say they haul for 80 hrs and barely survive, but they have all kinds of wood to haul. Something don't add up. If I hauled from my own woodlot, wood I cut myself, I would have half the money left after trucking. I doubt the mills pay that much.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2015, 06:21:45 AM
I find with truckers around here, it's the same rate for a 40 mile haul as a hundred. When they haul mill wood they get one rate, some make it work, others move on. I know some that say they haul for 80 hrs and barely survive, but they have all kinds of wood to haul. Something don't add up. If I hauled from my own woodlot, wood I cut myself, I would have half the money left after trucking. I doubt the mills pay that much.
How did  this turn into a union cost to much money to the 6truckers cost to much???? I would be happy tpo make 20 bucks plus overtime and benifets with only a dinner bucket involved!!! Insursance, workmans comp cases and costs all drive up the costs!!!  I have known many a people that are/have been living off comp and still lead a normal life!!! Cut firewood, ride sleds/motorcycles, hunt fish and on and on!!! When i had 2 trucks comp nearly killed me!20 a hr plusd bennys is a GREAT job!

SwampDonkey

Just comparing here what mills pay for hauling wood off public land, versus what I have to pay to have my wood hauled to their mill. Seems the haul rates are on two standards. Out in the far boonies on public land hauling wood on miles of rough road is different than hauling on miles of pavement with a max of 2 miles dirt road in most cases on woodlots. Fuel, insurance on down the line costs the same for hauling for a mill as for a woodlot owner.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!