iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much is it worth???

Started by inspectorwoody, November 27, 2005, 12:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoop

The cost of shipping this saw is far far far more than its worth.

Tom

The saw was  a mainstay arouind here for years.   You seldom see them anymore but those who have them will brag on them and show you their old saw sittin on the shelf in the shop.

The Bow is something I was surprised to see in NY.   I thought of it primarily as a southern pulpwood tool.

There is a fellow who is interested in Bows who started a Yahoo site to try to meet other interested folks.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bowbarchainsawsgroup

It isn't often visited, but, is fun to check in on now and again.

inspectorwoody

Hoop

Why do you say that  ??? I sold a saw to a guy in Maryland and it didn't cost that much. I think around 40$ with insurance.

The package included: 44mag pwr head, two bars, two chains, 1 gal bar lube, 6 pack of oil, wrenches and manual.

sawguy21

I saw a few bowsaws on pro Poulan's in the 80's but never met anybody who had used one. What was the advantage for pulp cutters? I think hoop is saying  they are too useless to be worth anyhing :D but  there are a few old saw nuts  who might pay a good dollar for one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hoop

Correct.

The Homelite has no value other than decorative or a wall hanging conversation piece.  Its value as a working tool is negligible. 

A Stihl 44 on the other hand, is a very workable tool. 

redpowerd

theres a pul-on on ebay with a bow also. ive allways wanted to at least try one out. id think the pulp cutters would use them due to less bending over to cut wood on the ground.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

inspectorwoody

So in general, the old homelites have no vaule to a collector etc.???

What are some that do have vaule?

I understand a 44mag has vaule...it is newer etc. That would be common sense.

sawguy21

It would have value to a collector but would be of no use to anyone else.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pullinchips

Bow saws have a real advantage for cutting pulp wood.  This said, they are extremly dangerous because of the increased area for kickbaack to occur, and also when cutting through a log is not careful the blade hangs below the saw (loop) and can contact a leg if you get lazy with your cutting.  Here in South Carolina small time pulpwooders still use the bow saw.  One major advantage is that it is a lot harger to get the blade of a bow saw pinched.  I have seen a man cut logs that were laying on the ground with tension on them, from the top side all the way through with out binding the bar.  This cut would have never worked with a conventinal straight bar.  Also the bar limits the diamer of trees that can be cut but can still cut around 22-24 dbh trees with them (i have seen it done). 

Yes people still use these saws around here, i saw them in use this last summer by a logger that worked on the army base i worked at.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Thank You Sponsors!