iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 170 chainsaw

Started by redneck logger, August 07, 2008, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut4fun

ladylake

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 18, 2008, 05:46:38 PM
Stihl, Husky, Poulan, Echo, Dolmar, clamshell designs are just that and do what was intended, be cheaper for the homeowners to buy.
I dont think one is any better then the other  IMO  and sometimes you just get lucky and get a good one or a POS ( I wouldnt buy any of the newer poulan stuff either).  I try and stay with magnesium cased saws myself even for my homeowner duties, be it  Poulan or other brand.
I have ran the 170 and 180 and they are gutless IMHO, but very very  light and would fit a young  kid nicely because of the light weight. My $50 like new 38cc Poulan 220 would eat the 180's lunch. Back to back timed cuts (but who care on such small saws) ( no not same bar and chains). I then broke out a 36cc clamshell poulan and it did the same thing and took the 180's drink.   But the poulans were heavier and you could feel it, I think they were closer to the old 346 weights 10.5 - 10.8lbs.
I am also talking poulans made 2001 or older before the epa mufflers and carbs.

My MS170 was absoluty gutless also, then I had the flywheel off and I noticed there was about 10 degrees of slop in the high quality flywheel and key so I set it with the timing advanced a little, now it's just gutless not absoluty gutless.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom

.......and I'm letting you all know that you are being admonished for taking this thread to a personal level which is neither appreciated nor will it be condoned.  Some have a PM coming your way.  Some who don't should take note.  Chainsaw operators haven't the right on this forum to disparage others whether you are educated, experienced or not.

Make this the last time that someone has to mention this to you.

jokers

Quote from: beenthere on August 18, 2008, 04:58:47 PM
Jokers
What's your point?

Some of your responses make me wonder what your objective is on the forum. 
Beenthere,

My only objective on this forum is to honestly and accurately discuss chainsaws and their use.

zackman1801

for the money you could spend on these small saws you could possbly find a used saw? i found both of my saws in like new used condition for under $200. and they to this day run like champions. one is the husqvarna 365 sp and the other is a Stihl Ms290. both of those saws in the condition they are in would outcut a brand new ms170. if your going to be doing some chainsaw carving or light brush and firewood work get one, but if you have any real logging or pro work to do look at a bigger saw, you will be much happier.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: SawTroll on August 17, 2008, 03:02:32 PM
There is a reason that Echo don't list power in their specs......
Ahhh, its because they're smart as listing HP tends to lead to lawsuits if a saw doesn't perform "per listed" HP. and HP alone doesn't mean anything as many saws with "less hp" will output a saw that has higher HP
Poulan P4018WTL being rebuilt and modded
Ryobi electric pole trimmer
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar
Echo CS-590 with 20" PowerMatch bar upgrade and rim sprocket upgrade

Air Lad

Quote from: redneck logger on August 07, 2008, 10:45:50 AM
i have a chance to buy a ms170 from our local dealer wicth is also my cousin for only $230  i just want to kow how good they work ???
Mine cost me $31 Aus for a replacement piston and ring. My mate was too hard on it and gave it to me . I love this little saw in the garden and around the grounds. It is what it is, but it isn't a toy...It's a tool to do a job 

ladylake

Since this thread started in 2008 I know a lot of people who have switched over to Echo saws and they like them, Stihl quality is headed downhill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Phil_Oz

Quote from: Air Lad on January 10, 2019, 04:55:27 AM
Quote from: redneck logger on August 07, 2008, 10:45:50 AM
i have a chance to buy a ms170 from our local dealer wicth is also my cousin for only $230  i just want to kow how good they work ???
Mine cost me $31 Aus for a replacement piston and ring. My mate was too hard on it and gave it to me . I love this little saw in the garden and around the grounds. It is what it is, but it isn't a toy...It's a tool to do a job
I have an MS170. Around 4 years now. I love that little saw. Cost now is AUD$249 ($299 when I bought mine, with sharpener kit).
I thought it would be a toy, only suited to the pruning that I got it for - but it is much better than that - I use it on small firewood 4 inch and even larger. As long as you work to the limitations of the saw (31cc I think and thin chain), it is a light, easy to use and surprisingly capable little saw.
Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

Inaotherlife

Heck, I cut 8 or 10 inch logs with my 2511T if that's what I got in my hands. I'm sure it's every bit as good and most likely better than the more expensive MS150.

I like my 361P and sure don't think a 201 is worth 3 or 400 more.

I do think the Stihl 241 is probably worth the difference over a CS-400 if you pay the usual $300 price tag. But only if you're comfortable spending the 520 plus tax that the 241 commands. That's really the only new Stihl saw that I dream of having.

As far as the lesser rear handle saws. I don't really know because I haven't used them enough to know.
The 310 and 352 are plenty light, but a bit chunky.
Don't think I'd buy a 170 but might try a 180.
I'd love to find a minty old rear handle version in the 3450 or 346.
And if you can overlook the made in china thing, the little Makitas look like pretty good saws if a tad heavy.

They'll probably all cut some very large stuff if you've got the time.

Air Lad

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 10, 2019, 08:30:21 PM
Heck, I cut 8 or 10 inch logs with my 2511T if that's what I got in my hands. I'm sure it's every bit as good and most likely better than the more expensive MS150.

I like my 361P and sure don't think a 201 is worth 3 or 400 more.

I do think the Stihl 241 is probably worth the difference over a CS-400 if you pay the usual $300 price tag. But only if you're comfortable spending the 520 plus tax that the 241 commands. That's really the only new Stihl saw that I dream of having.

As far as the lesser rear handle saws. I don't really know because I haven't used them enough to know.
The 310 and 352 are plenty light, but a bit chunky.
Don't think I'd buy a 170 but might try a 180.
I'd love to find a minty old rear handle version in the 3450 or 346.
And if you can overlook the made in china thing, the little Makitas look like pretty good saws if a tad heavy.

They'll probably all cut some very large stuff if you've got the time.
Yep
The 170 was a gift. This little thing  goes great if not pushed too hard
If I would buy something for this application the 180/181 would probably be worth the little extra
Husky and Echo also impress me with their gear
Off topic but the battery gear I use for work is Makita and their battery chainsaws are starting to raise an eyebrow

Cheers

realzed

Quote from: ladylake on January 10, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
 Since this thread started in 2008 I know a lot of people who have switched over to Echo saws and they like them, Stihl quality is headed downhill.   Steve
Maybe I missed seeing it somewhere - but can I ask in all honesty, are you are an ECHO dealer or representative of the brand?

Mean Dean

I bid on a new Stihl 170 at a motorcycle charity auction several years ago and won it. I let it sit for a year never having been started until both of my old large saws died. It has been one excellent saw! I have dropped dozens of  20 inch hardwoods and cut them up. I do take my time so as not to over heat it. First small saw I ever owned and I'm loving the light weight.

ladylake

Quote from: realzed on January 11, 2019, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: ladylake on January 10, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
 Since this thread started in 2008 I know a lot of people who have switched over to Echo saws and they like them, Stihl quality is headed downhill.   Steve
Maybe I missed seeing it somewhere - but can I ask in all honesty, are you are an ECHO dealer or representative of the brand?

Can you honestly say Stihl quality hasn't went downhill in the last 20 years, back then you couldn't buy a low quality  Stihl saw.  I work on saws and have run most .  Steve

wild262

Its a gamble with all brands of homeowner saws.  There not meant to be used hard every day as a pro saw, but some do, and and hold up well.  Much has to do with the user sometimes more than anything else.  How there used, maintained, and stored.   There alittle less forgiving than pro saws in general.   You pay more for a pro saw and they tend to take more abuse than a homeowner before they fail. And are easier to rebuild as a rule.  I've always preferred the middle class or semi-pro models.  You seem to get the best of both classes with longevity, and features.   If I lived in town and needed a saw just once in awhile, it would be a battery saw.  A lot of problems with fuel and storage don't apply to those.  :)

Inaotherlife

I wonder how an Echo 3450, 345, 346 compares, power-wise, to a Stihl 170, 171, or even a 193c.
I was thinking on buying one as I thought it would make a decent carving saw, or at least something I could experiment with a 1/4 pitch bar and chain on. Some of the parts interchange with my 361P, which is a little bigger, heavier, and more powerful. I like the 361P for general cutting of logs and limbs with the tall short bar. 
But I figured the older, smaller, lighter rear handled saw would be nice for more detailed work. And didn't really want to spend four bills on a 193c.

I know it's more cc's, which is how most people would want to classify them. But I'd be more inclined to group it by size and weight.

realzed

Quote from: ladylake on January 12, 2019, 07:13:59 AM
Quote from: realzed on January 11, 2019, 07:52:08 PM

Can you honestly say Stihl quality hasn't went downhill in the last 20 years, back then you couldn't buy a low quality  Stihl saw.  I work on saws and have run most .  Steve
Possibly - Stihl has models which by some could be considered lower quality than the rest of the most of their really good line saws and other equipment - I assume the thinking or reasoning on their part being, why should they just leave it up to Husqvarna to provide some cheap alternatives to brands like Echo to compete against, for the Big Box store and local corner hardware walk-in purchasers, you know.. those that demand and need 'bargain-basement' pricing above all else, for that obvious market that exists there..
But you never answered my question.. for all of the brand flogging, do you actually sell these things or are you just continually waving the flag so it gets you better pricing somewhere?  

millwright

I've had a 170 for about 5 years to use around the sawmill, it's a great little saw that gets used every day. When I bought it, it was less than 160 dollars and came with extra chain and 6 pack of sthil oil. Pretty good but I think

ladylake

Possibly - Stihl has models which by some could be considered lower quality than the rest of the most of their really good line saws and other equipment - I assume the thinking or reasoning on their part being, why should they just leave it up to Husqvarna to provide some cheap alternatives to brands like Echo to compete against, for the Big Box store and local corner hardware walk-in purchasers, you know.. those that demand and need 'bargain-basement' pricing above all else, for that obvious market that exists there..
But you never answered my question.. for all of the brand flogging, do you actually sell these things or are you just continually waving the flag so it gets you better pricing somewhere?  

No I don't sell Echo saws except for a few used one to some of my sawmill customers who use them and like them.  My gripe with Stihl is that they are using their name to sell low quality machines to make a lot of money right now.  That name is going down hill. Yes they do make good over priced pro saws.   Steve

Magicman

Quote from: millwright on January 13, 2019, 07:05:52 PMI've had a 170 for about 5 years to use around the sawmill, it's a great little saw that gets used every day. When I bought it, it was less than 160 dollars and came with extra chain and 6 pack of sthil oil. Pretty good but I think
I bought the same saw 3 years ago; saw, extra chain, oil, and taxes out the door for less than $200.  Three pulls cold and one pull for the rest of the day doing it's job as my "sawmill saw".  I have no idea what "low quality" would mean because I could not ask for anything lighter, handier, or more reliable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

Quote from: ladylake on January 14, 2019, 05:16:07 AM
 Yes they do make good over priced pro saws.   Steve

I see people call Stihl overpriced fairly regularly. I'm not familiar with the entire lines of saws from the different companies, but for kicks, I compared the price of the 362cm I bought with the Husky 562xp. Both are $760 with a 20" bar, and with Stihl, it comes with a superior B&C. I suppose an argument can be made that both are high, but when you command the market, you command the price. The world's pretty much Stihl and Husky with a bunch of also-rans. The also-rans play with price to collect the crumbs from Stihl and Husky, and you may or may not have dealer support. If you travel or move, you may or may not find support fwhen you need it. Around here. Stihl is everywhere, with Husky following, but not terribly hard to find a shop. Echo has a pretty good presence, and my local hardware store is a full service shop, but I don't know how common that is.
Aside from a quick throwaway saw I needed in an emergency, echo is the only one I'd consider that aren't the big two. I have no idea where I'd get any other saw around here.
Oh, and the echo 620p is ~$550. Similar to the saws I mentioned, and a couple hundred less. Probably a good choice if there's a good shop close by. I'll let others argue on the quality of running them for professional use. I'm pretty happy with my cs400 as a non pro.

ladylake

When you take a saw apart and work on it you can see the quality or lack of it.  Steve

lil171

While not am MS170, I do have a MS171. I just bought it this fall for cutting a few pieces of wood here and there. I have used it for about an hour overall so far and I must say that it is a nice little saw. I do not think I would have been any happier with anything else. The only reason for the MS171 over the MS170 was the easier chain adjusting, quick flip fill caps, better shock absorbtion. And also the fact that I knew nothing about chainsaws and my dad told me I was only buying one saw once so but the better one now. And no, he does not know much either. And also to note, I immediately upgraded the standard .043 bar and chain to a .050 bar and chain. 

Bosco

I got a like new non running ms180 off the craigslist, after a carb cleaning it is like new! my ol lady loved it and ran out and bought a ms170 thinking it was the same, After running both saws side by side there is NO comparison, the 180 cuts circles around a 170! I gave a Cnote for the 180 and she gave 150 and change for the 170.

Ivan49

I have a MS 170 and an MS 180 have had both for years and they are good saws. Mine got hard to start so I took one in with no change in the starting. I looked on line and tore into the 180 cleaned the exhaust screen new plug new gas line. I tried to start it today and after it primed itself by pulling. It now starts on the 3rd pull cold. I used both of these saws on my sawmill for years. I also have an MS 290 and that one was bought in the early 2000. It has never gave me any problems in all that time

Thank You Sponsors!