iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro 222 Rebuild

Started by peelwvu, March 06, 2020, 08:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peelwvu

Hi everyone.  New to the site.  I bought a craigslist chainsaw.  It's a Poulan Pro 222.  It ran and was cheap.  I knew that I was going to have to most likely put some work into it.  I replaced the carb and all the fuel lines.  The carb wasn't actually in bad shape but the gaskets were either bad or missing so I just bought the kit and replaced it all.  

The next problem was when I would start it the chain would spin wildly at idle.  I think I figured that out last night.  It looks like the small washer under the sprocket was replaced with one that doesn't fit quite right.  When I spin the clutch back on it tightened down on the sprocket so that they had to spin together.  I replaced this small washer with one that I had laying around.  This one works, but it's a little too thin and there is a little play in the sprocket.  It can slide in and out maybe 1/8" to 1/4".  When I put the brake and everything back on it seemed to hold the sprocket in place. 

My main question now is whether it's safe to run that way?  This is my first ever chainsaw.  Ran my dad's when I was younger but I never needed one.  Now I bought some land and just want to be able to clear trails, clear food plots, cut some firewood for the fire pit.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Just start browsing the site.  I like it.   

sawguy21

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your stay. It shouldn't create too much of a problem as the drum only rotates freely at idle. Don't spend a lot of time and money on the saw, they are so inexpensive new it's not worthwhile. Learn how to sharpen it properly and stay safe. A chainsaw is not forgiving if operated carelessly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dougand3

The spur sprocket should rotate freely around the clutch when engine is off. There is a little in/out movement of the sprocket. The clutch holds the sprocket on - LH threads, so it's always self tightening during run times.

The problem here may be sprocket slippage ( = chain stoppage) if the sprocket drum isn't staying in good contact with the clutch shoes.

Look over how the parts should go. See part #s 15 and 17. For optimal function, get these exact parts.

http://s30387.gridserver.com/partsDiagrams/Poulan%20Pro%20222.pdf
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

peelwvu

Thanks.  It's part #17, the thrust washer.  I was going to stop by TSC and see if they had one that fit a little better.  If I have any problems with it I'll order the exact part.  

This was a $30 craigslist buy.  I've only put about $25 into it.  (Carb kit and a new sprocket and clutch)  I wasn't planning to put anymore into it since I'm not planning to use it all that much.  Just something that was functional the few times I needed it.

Thank You Sponsors!