iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling scotch pine

Started by maple flats, March 06, 2005, 07:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Has anyone ever tried milling scotch pine. My dad and I planted some almost 50 years ago and they really need thinning, wondered if I should consider milling. Maybe only good for pulp. Some are about 10-12" DBH and won't do any growing until thinned. About 2 acres planted 7' x 9' with about 10% thinned about 10 years ago to 7 x 18. What should I do with it? ???
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I forgot, does anyone kno how big the scotch pine will get? These may already be the largest I've seen!!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Corley5

We sawed some a while back and used it for sheathing on a barn.  Sawed like pine ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Larry

I cut three today out of our windbreak...all dead.  Around here they start dying about 15 years old.  Big tree might make 12" dbh. 

If I put one on the mill I'll saw a post and thats about it.  Best use I have found is brushpiles for the critters or ditch fillers.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

maple flats

Thanks Larry. My only experience with it was when my oldest boy wanted to build a fort or camp in the planting, cut some, lost interest and they were all punky the following year. Had to drag them into the and burn them I know now I should have just limbed the ones that still had limbs and let them lay to build the soil.

Ianab

Size they will grow to depends on your climate I think.
In Europe they will grow to 50 to 100 ft tall and live for 200 to 400 years!
They do NOT like being shaded  / supressed by other trees so thinning them out is a good idea.
I'm guessing they haven't been pruned to remove lower branches so the timber is going to be knotty, but otherwise it's just a pine tree  :D

Saw a couple and see if it's any use to ya.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

maple flats

You are basically right. I've maybe pruned about 20% or so up about 10' high. If they can get rather large I think I will try prunning and thinning. Maybe I have a good excuse to get a long pole mounted trim saw now!! :D ???

Ianab

Have a look at Ernie's post on pruning pine trees, they are pruning up to 10m (30+ ft). Thats just a 12 year old tree though  ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10874.0

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

maple flats

I'll need to figure this out. When I climb the pitch will be all over, better wear coveralls for this one.

rebocardo

> My dad and I planted some almost 50 years ago

What an awesome memory :-)

MemphisLogger

If you do mill them, please post some pics of the results--I've got a 30" Scotch pine across the street from me that's gonna come down any day now.  :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

maple flats

If I do try milling it will not be until summer. Will post some pictures. This is still rather small DBH since very little pruning has been done and they are crowded. I'll keep you all posted and I am inclined to mill a few even with the small size just to see how it goes. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!