iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stickler?

Started by Dan_Shade, August 30, 2005, 11:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

http://www.thestickler.com/index.cfm

anybody ever used one of these things?  looks nifty, but might proove to be a bit interesting with a limited slip differential...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_S.

I've never used one but the logs being split in the demo video were straight grained and knotless. I'll bet just casually dropping an axe on the end would have split it as easily and faster than the Stickler! :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

They used to be advertised around here a few years ago.  I looked for one, just for fun.   I was told that they had been outlawed.  I don't know if the guy meant "by his company", by insurance or by the state.   The reason was because they were too dangerous.  The screw would catch in some blocks of wood and break your arms as it flung the wood in a circle.

The ones I remember seeing were actually a big screw looking thing, but shaped just like this one.

Jeff

can you imagine snagging yer glove on it? Looks dangerous as all get out to me.  Put a chuck of wood on it a little to short, or with the end to far forward and you might be using yer fender for the spitting block.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tnlogger

that or a good chunk of gum ad sit back and watch the truck bouce like a pogo stick
gene

isawlogs

One guy I know bought one ...  ::)   If you like pain go for it ... you wont be let down .  Those things are dangerous , he had one come off there and took part of his pick up with it .. that happened when he was trying to show us how well it split wood  :o  told him that it sure can split a pick -up  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gilman

At $259.00 we should get one for next year's piggy roast.  Should be good for hours of fun.

I think I almost remember those on a comercial.  Anyone remember them on a comercial?

I probably made the comercial part up since I was a kid at the time and thought it was pretty cool.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Frank_Pender

The son of a good friend got his pant leg caught and it ripped his leg off.  They asre an accident ready to happen, for sure.   I made a fellow teacher get rid of his as I had 4 of his five children at one time in my class.  I took the blasted thing and made scrap metal with a cutting torch. 8)

My advice is, if you see one confescate the DanG thing and dismantle it to the point of not being able to even come close to being used for splitting anything. >:(
Frank Pender

Dan_Shade

all right.

it looks a bit unsafe at first glance, i don't think it would work with my limited slip anyway, i guess i'll have to round up a wood splitter
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodbowl

ooooooooooooooooooo......................Frank, that makes my skin crawl off just thinking about it. I wonder if it could be mounted on the front end of a skid steer simular to the way a jack hammer is. It's awsome to see a concrete broken up this way. It looks like a giant bee thrusting the stinger into his prey. Watching a skid steer with a stickler bear down on a pile of big blocked fire wood sounds interesting. Something is still bound to go flying.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

Good grief!!  >:( I can't imagine anyone trying to use that contraption. I'de like to see anyone try to trip the emergency mechanism while trying to retrieve your winding glove and shirt sleeves off it.  ::) :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

I have a PTO driven tractor mounted version of that.  You had best have your head on straight before you start using it and keep your mind on your work or it can eat you.  So can corn choppers, combines, chainsaws, etc.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!