iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for an Upgade?

Started by TessiersFarm, March 30, 2009, 07:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I run a small farm and wood cutting is part of our operation, firewood and sawlogs mostly.  We run stihls and that will likely change when I buy the new ford truck and kubota tractor probably after drinking too much coors beer.  On a more serious note we run several saws mostly the 036 and 361.  I have looked at bigger saws several times but never parted with the money.  I am looking at a used 440 for $250 or so.  It has been used a fair amount but well maintained and has good compression.  Will I ever go back to the 361 if I try a 440?  Will I notice a big difference felling, bucking ect?  Am I wasting my money on used?
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

ladylake

It will cut quite a bit faster and wiegh quite a bit more.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Maineloggerkid

If it has benn well maintained, that is a good buy. It will outcut the 361, but not replace it. I find that as a saw collection grows, each one takes on its own place, or "job". There will be times you will pick up the 440, and others you will reach for the 361.

Something you could think about is outfitting the 440 with a larger bar, and using it as     your " oversized wood" saw. If you have any large trees, that might be helpful to keep a longer bar handy.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Ironwood

Welcome Tressier,

I handed my nieghbor my "other orange saw" after his Stihl chain got dull, His eyes got REAL big and he said "WOW, that thing cuts like butter" Now, I will say in fairness, he had a safety chain on his and I run a razor sharp full chisel, between that and the higher RPM's he may just be looking at the "other orange saws" next time he buys one.  ::) Not looking to start an argument, just if your looking to cut effiecently (fast) sometimes an "upgrade" may mean looking elsewhere.

Ironwood

PS, hows that new Ford running? Kubota's are nice too, although I like green. I dont claim any expertise on the Coors issue. :D
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

And that sharp chain will work wonders too. But a good way to sell a saw brand.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

A good chain makes a world of difference, Also the size of the saw and how old it is. Stihl and Husky both have good and bad models right now.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ironwood

Yeah, his was an older Stihl 028 AV Farm boss, had one of those myself about 50 years ago  ;D ;D Mine wasa fairly modern 372XP lightweight "screamer".  :D Sold!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

Tessiersfarm,heading to the Bangor Expo,May 1-2?     Here's a post about it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35903.0.html

You will enjoy it.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cut4fun

With the price of new saws going through the roof 49cc-51cc saws costing $500 out the door.
If you can pick up a good running 044-440 for $250. I would buy it and at least set it back.

Thank You Sponsors!