iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loose sprocket tip

Started by mike_belben, April 20, 2018, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I have a no name 24" large pattern husky bar with an oregon style 3/8 sprocket insert.  Recently it loosened up and started wobbling around quite a lot.  It was binding in the wood a bit and also getting a wear patch right where the rails of the tip and bar meet due to misalignment.   

I pounded on the rivet but that did nothing.  Brought the bar to local co-op saw shop (which i think highly of) and theyd never seen it happen.  Bought a new oem oregon tip and swapped it on.  Still the same.  Id never changed a tip before but didnt see any issues.  

Anyone got any ideas? 
Praise The Lord

starmac

Are you saying that the sprocket is loose in the new tip too?
I have never changed a tip either, but it seems weird that the new one would be loose too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

No no, sorry.   The sprockets are both fine. The insert is loose in the end of the bar.  Do these normally get loctited in or something?
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

It sounds like the rivet holes in the bar are enlarged, the metal must be soft. How old is it?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skeans1

I've had them wear out like that before Mike, had to get a new bar in my case they had worn so bad the seats of the tip didn't hold it tight anymore.

mike_belben

I checked the hole and it held the rivet tight, i was wondering if these are supposed to have a hole offset to pull the tip in maybe.  

If its destined to wobble ill probably braze the old one back on and save this new tip for the next one.
Praise The Lord

ehp

that happens a lot and I mean a lot if your cutting in the bush for a living . How did I fix that problem, I went to a different bar maker . The older 5 rivot Windsor speed tip bar was a lot worse than the Oregon bar for coming loose

DelawhereJoe

I've got a country line (TSC) bar has less 5 cords on it and the replaceable tip is just starting to come loose/wiggle. All I was going to do was drill down into the bar in 4 spots (2 on each side) and tack weld it then grind/sand it smooth.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Maine logger88

I've had Oregon bars do that but usually after several replacement tips. Probably just have to weld it or braze it and throw it when the tip blows. I'm trying a sugihara bar hoping it will last better than I've experienced with Oregon...
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Skeans1

Sugihara is a great bar hard rails the tips are ok about the same as Oregon for life.

ehp

those bars are better than Oregon, I run them on my huskies. I find I have to take it easy on the first part of the tank or I get tip problems right off the start, after a tank they seem good to go . Have found thou the chain can pull down into the tip on them but the last bunch of bars I have not had that problem

Grandedog

Howdy,

Ed mentioned the Windsor bars back in the day were more stable than the Oregon because of the long recess tang. Back when Weyerhauser was cutting St. Helens, Windsor sold tons of bars and probably even more tips to them. Guys were going through a tip or better a day. They didn't bother even riveting the tip in. Just roll the chain off and slide in a new tip and back to cutting Douglas Cement.

Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Skeans1

I've heard those stories Gregg and guys buying new saws once a month it's impressive to still see to this day.

joe_indi

Sometimes the hole on the bar might have worn and become bigger. In such cases before flattening out the rivet, using a center punch with a heavier hammer causes the rivet to become fatter and tighten up in the hole. Tap it flat only after this. This should help

mike_belben

I measured them all, no wear in any dimension, rivets were tight fit. 

Im guessing its a chinese clone and some ching chong loctite knockoff is what kept the first tip in there snug enough for initial sale.   Heat would cook that out over time.  

Unfortunately, there is no evidence this bar was ever manufactured for a good fit.
Praise The Lord

DelawhereJoe

How are the bar rails holding up? If the rails are holding up good and you just tack weld on a new tip you could just drill out the tack weld then tack on a new tip.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

mike_belben

Kinda wore a bit fast IMO but i redressed it entirely when i did the tip. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

in the 80's and 90's   I use to buy tips in a 10 pack and that may not last the week in the winter time for just me

Thank You Sponsors!