iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Finally raining here.   8) been quit a while with out. 

SwampDonkey

Still waiting for rain here. Today I seen a lot of beaked hazel dead with dried up leaves in the maple woods. What I have seen for potato crop from feilds are small, but lots of count. The peaches we just got from Ontario are what I call half peaches, small like plums. :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Been a long time since i posted in here. Summer was hot and dry then it ended in mid August and its been cool/cold and wet since. Had a wood fire burning for a while now. 40 and 50 degree high temps, overcast with rain, drizzle and strong north winds for almost 2 weeks now. Patchy frost and mid 30 degree temps the last 2 nights. 

SwampDonkey

Was wondering it there was a cold snap out that way because Bernstein in North Dakota had his winter Carhartt's on when target shooting yesterday, he said it was in 30's. It's going to cool some here, into the 60's and barely 70 for a few days. We had some sprinkles today, didn't amount to anything. Saying more tonight. 5 sprinkles isn't much better than 3. :D Terrible dry. Weather man said it was 80F down at the city, don't know if I believe that, never much more the 3 degrees difference. Very doubtful 15 degree difference, unless for an hour until the cold front moves down. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

A-z farmer

We are supposed to get a cool down next week with highs in the 70s.We have had the ac on since June and the last time we used it was the summer of 2017 .We are at 24 inches of rain for the year and our average is 32 by now .The 3 rd cutting alfalfa and grass looks like it is going to yield more than our sparse 2nd cutting .

SwampDonkey

Drought for sure, we never got much to measure in this last "rain". ::)

thecfarm

I am watering the garden now. Yes, it is dry here. 
I had 54° when I first got up. High 65° today. Last couple days has been in the 80's. I saw 84 yesterday. Still cooler shirt weather. The cooler temps are here now. Probably to stay until next June.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

No need for a cooler shirt tonight. 54° tonight. Getting dark earlier and earlier each night too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, cooler days are coming. I came in the house today and as usual glanced at the NWS radar always running on my screen. It seemed weird, then I saw the date stamp on the images.

I guess they are messing around with 'future casting' or something, but these guys are really pushing the limit. :D All the frames had different dates and years from 2009 to 2081. Kind of odd I thought. If you do have plans for Friday June 3rd or 2061 it looks like you will have a pretty clear day anyway. I don't expect I will be around then, so I don't really care. If I am around I will be 106 years old, so I probably won't care anyway. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Yesterday it was 43F in the morning cloudy until after dinner when it cleared out. NW breeze all afternoon. Nice fall day. Got the firewood cache built and wood cut, got to split it and stack it in the cache today. Fir, so very easy to split with the Collins. Nice straight grain. The biggest one of the bunch was an 18" fir, the pith was off centre, must have has an injury because of a spot of rot on the thinner side of the pith to bark. But them rings is the width of a finger on the wide side, and I count 24 rings, which was when the first spruce trees on that site was planted. Them fir grew 3-4 times as fast as the planted spruce. Gotta love it. :D

46F here this morning. There was frost warning last night, but ain't happening here.

thecfarm

Well it's below 40 here,39° ;D. It's a coming. I will have to trade my cooler shirt for a sweat shirt this morning. Might get up to 70°.
Still no rain.  :(

Old Greenhorn

Got down to 46 overnight. Just enough to motivate me to get going on this chimney. Gotta clean the house chimney soon too. Calling for clear skies today with a high of 70. We shall see.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SwampDonkey

There was frost a mile up the road in a low field and also up by the woodlot. I could feel frost in the air up at the woodlot when I walked into the winter shelter. Got the firewood cache filled up with split wood this morning. Not much perspiring swinging an axe when it's in the 30's. ;D

I think it dipped to 40F by daylight at the house. Suppose to hit 70F here by afternoon, clear blue sky now.

woodroe

Light frost here this morning in the sandy river valley , was surprised, there were no warnings from
the weather channels.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

It did reach 75F here this afternoon and a west wind. Blue sky, the drought saga continues.

chevytaHOE5674

4 frosty mornings in a row. Hit 48° with rain and north winds today. Haven't seen 70° in 2.5 weekends and looking at the extended forecasts we may not again for a long while.

dgdrls

Get ready, here she comes,

Stay safe folks, 

D

Al_Smith

It's been a dry year .One thing I noticed being in the corn belt evidently the farmers must have figured it out prior .It appears to be early maturing or short season corn  growing in the fields .This stuff is only about 5 1/2  feet tall with two ears . In the past this stuff would easily be 7 to 8 feet tall with a single large ear . The ears have already dropped and is browning from the bottom up so the harvest won't be far away .I remember as a kid they might be taking it off as late or later than thanksgiving . 
Also seems funny the soy beans are well bushed out and it looks like they will come off after the corn unless we get a very early frost .
Here lately we have been getting a little shower now and  again but no frog drowners .Nothing steady for some time .Usually if we don't get it in rain we get it in snow except it hasn't followed that pattern in a few years .I never plowed one bit last winter which is unusual .Definitely a change in the climate . 

SwampDonkey

I pushed snow here every week last winter and some weeks more than once. And that's not drifts, because the wind carries most of the snow away from the house and off the drive way in a bad windy storm. A lot of times the wind will park it over the drain field or just take it right on out across the highway. Little 4-6" storms I prefer to use the scoop for the exercise. If it is wet snow the tractor moves it. Anything near a foot and I use the walk behind blower if I get to it before my brother comes up with the tractor. Got all kinds of winter clothes, but I don't wear a big bunch of clothes, never was cold in winter doing work of any kind. We can get some real cold, or some winters it barely gets below 0. Seen all kinds of winter weather flux in 53 years. ;D Had one winter when the acacia bloomed in Feb and was killed stone dead in March, was 1980. You don't forget them things. :D Uncle and I burned old logging brush all winter, was spruce limbs he cut when horse logging behind the barn. No snow at all. Year before, it was the pending ice age is coming predicted by the fakers.

doc henderson

our lives are such a tiny speck in time relative to the world.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

It sure chaanged in a hurry! Yesterday was 29C, low 80's, and now it is overcast with smoke from the Washington fires and 10. From a distance it looks like snow on the mountains. Should clear up in a day or two then back to the mid 70's which is unusually warm for this time of year. The corn is sure looking healthy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on September 13, 2020, 09:30:54 AM
our lives are such a tiny speck in time relative to the world.
Gee, that's encouraging......I think. :D

thecfarm

Well we had a shower, last night If I would not of been outside I would of missed it.   :D  Might of "rained" for 15 minutes. Not even enough to settle the dust.  :(

Edit: just had another one this morning. Lasted just about as long too.

SwampDonkey

About 5 drops before daylight at the house and a little shower on down the road, but when I got to the woods, dry. Sun was out before noon and the NW wind a blowing. Could be frost in low areas tonight. Nothing has hit the gardens here so far.

Thank You Sponsors!