iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

We had a nice rain last week, ended Friday.  Total of 1 1/2".  Just right for the soybeans, which had been suffering.  All the rain we had earlier, the beans got really tall, and then turned dry and some were too far along to recover.  Mine are looking great, looking forward to a good fall harvest.  The corn was already done, and the milo looks better than seen in several years.  North Central Kansas.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

SwampDonkey

Beans up this way have been brown and about leafless for 2 weeks. Corn not filing out they say. Need a lot of water for corn and we never had even a little. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

39° and a frost warning for the mountains tonight. That might be me. We have to cover things tonight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Another light frost here overnight. Covered tomatoes this time, bout 40lbs left to ripen on em.
2nd crop of corn is struggling to fill out due to lack of rain. But will get some starting any day now.
Good day time temps for firewood clean up in the woods. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Temps are expected to drop down into the 50's on Friday here, but in the meantime we have the western fire smoke in the air, coming in on the NW wind. It's not bad, and I can't smell it, but makes the sky not as bright.

Frost warning for tonight here to.

We made another batch of tomato sauce on the weekend, got 3 - 16 oz jars. Still eating them out of the garden.

Everything else is harvested that frost would hurt.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

No idea where I heard of frost warning. 45° now.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it was 45F here to, but it never got to 70F though. Cool wind out there, not cold, but cooler than predicted. :D

sawguy21

Unusually warm for this time of year and supposed to be in the 70's for the next couple of weeks. Perfect for harvesting if it wasn't for the smoke from the south. We can actually see a bit of sky but weatherman says that won't last. We probably won't see frost before our thanksgiving.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Transition weather here now for sure. The last couple of days have been weird because even here we have the smoke layer, although it is up at 25,000 feet. In the morning and afternoon hours the sun can't really get through that layer, so the daytime temps are not reaching what they should. Yesterday the high was about 68, today they are calling for 75, heavy overcast and high humidity. Curious to see what happens. clouds or not, that sun isn't hitting the ground until it is very high in the sky. After today the trend is downward with highs in the 60's and 50's over the next week with no rain in sight.
 Got my wood stove in the shop, so that is a burden off my brain, back to work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

I just checked the satellite loop and it looks like we might get a break in the northeast on the smoke. If you look at the GOES Channel 16 loop FOUND HERE you can see the smoke in orange. This is for my corner of the world, but you can navigate around and find the plot for your area. You need to look for the CO2 infrared loop to see the smoke.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

The very unhealthy air has finally cleared from the valley - just bad for sensitive groups.  However, all the very bad air/smoke is now up the hill at my cabin project so no going up again today.  And tomorrow they are predicting rain up there.  Maybe next week the air will be clean enough to work.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Called for showers today, but not a drop, and now clearing out. Might fall to 32F in some areas tonight. Going to be in the 50's for highs on Friday-Sunday. No rain or showers in the forecast for a week, hasn't been anything for weeks so they need not worry if they don't call for rain at all. :D

Old Greenhorn

62 is the predicted high for the day today, but the clouds should be clearing. I also just checked the GOES image and it looks like we have some smoke cover coming back in again (looks like some up you way later in the day Swamp), but it looks lighter.
 Enjoying the cooler weather and as of this writing, I have little idea what I am doing today, but it will most likely be outside. :) The shop work can wait until the weather drives me inside. 

SwampDonkey

In the 30's this morning here. I know I need the quilted shirt on out in the porch rocking chair. :D

thecfarm

Wow SwampDonkey, you got it cold up there. I am enjoying 50° weather here. But tomorrow morning I will be wearing quilted shirt.  :D  Suppose to be in the mid 30's.

Sixacresand

The eighties here have been nice for last week or so.  I know the heat is coming back before actual Fall.   Lots of rain from tropical storm Sally. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

doc henderson

highs in the low 80s all week. not bad for working outside.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

6" of snow for Canadian Thanksgiving, Oct 10th. Just as accurate as all the WAG's at the weather all summer. :D

chevytaHOE5674

Been cold and clear UP here. Yesterday it was 25° with thick ice on the stock tanks in the morning. High temps didn't break 50 the last 2 days. 

SwampDonkey

Don't think it will be quite as cold as yesterday morning here. 40F here now. We didn't reach 60 here yesterday and frost killed the squash, but I had them harvested for 2 weeks. Don't think it hit the tomatoes, it did kill some patches in field potatoes on low ground. Looked pretty black.

I think parts of northern Maine was in the 20's yesterday morning.

thecfarm

I have 35° now. Might be 30 at the bottom of the hill.

SwampDonkey

36F on the porch, but 32F at the ground because the frost got the tomatoes. Didn't seem to be any on the grape vines or raspberry leaves, the the dandelions are covered in frost as well as what live grass there is. Light frost on the windshield of the truck, was none yesterday morning.

Built a furnace fire for the first time this morning with some popple, burns nice and hot. ;D Good and dry because no smoke to be seen from the flu.

Old Greenhorn

38 here this morning and nice and clear. Starting to adjust to the sun coming up a lot later and last evening I noticed it was behind the trees by 6pm. If I were home today I would do another small fire in the shop stove, but I am off the cut-split-stack at the kids house. Maybe tomorrow if this doesn't turn into a 2 day deal. Have yet to sweep the house chimney before I start a small comfort fire in here.
 The prediction is for more of the same with a little warming in the middle of next week. No rain in sight....yet.

Skip

Had a light frost this A:M . early, believe it set a record  :P . Time to take the electric fence down and let the deer have at the tomatoes .

woodroe

Frost here,  finished pickin tomatoes yesterday, tops of plants are grey this morning.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!